Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  14:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks mort13
your snakes really cute, lovely colour, not sure what type i have yet cant really tell from tje photos i think hes a normal corn snake, will putting some photos up as soon as he can come out, dont really want to disturb him yet with the camera! cant believe how tiny they are when there babies, i watched your video of loki feeding, the baby mice seem to big to be eaten by a baby snake i think its amazing how they feed

1.2.0cats:felix, whiskers&gizmo
1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  17:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,thanks. Loki is a normal. Heh,heh torture isn't it. You'll soon have him out and then you probably won't be able to stop taking photos! Look forward to seeing him.
Its amazing watching them feed,the kids love to see it too. Can't imagine Loki feeding on anything bigger at the mo!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  22:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sonic is definatly not a normal corn snake then as he is completely different from loki
cant wait to get some photos of him so people on here can see him, would like to know what he is

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  01:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HelloOandCwelcomeTtoOthePforum,UenjoySyour stay.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarahw

........the baby mice seem to big to be eaten by a baby snake i think its amazing how they feed

If you think that is amazing just wait until Sonic moves onto the bigger prey....then you really wont believe that he will be able to get the mouse down , but he will!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  17:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right so the day has come to feed sonic, i defrosted his mouse in hot water for 10 mins as i read on here it was a good way to defrost them.
silly question thou how can you tell its defrosted?
anyway i waved the mouse in front of sonic and he decided to strike at it twice the second time was alot harder slashing blood up the side of the viv! he then curled up around it tightly and decided to srike out at me, think he was warning me off his food!
so now im thinking we may still have trouble getting him out with all this striking he does, i really want to measure him and weigh him to make sure he is having enough food and the mouse does not seem to leave a big bump in him once he has swollowed it.
i may have toget him out with gloves on!
the person who had him before said their 12 year old boy used to go in his viv and pick him up straight away but she said he has stiked out at her and bit her before so im thinking he may be a bit defensive of his viv
will keep you posted on sunday how he was being handled

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as defrosting is concerned, because it is a mouse and not a pinkie, it is better to defrost naturally rather than quickly in hot water....that way you can be sure that it is fully defrosted and there are no ice crystals left. I take my mice out the night before and leave them somewhere cool, then feed my snakes in the morning. I would THINK that you only need a few hours, depending on what size mouse he is on.

I weigh both of mine immediately before each feed (making sure I dont have any mouse smell on me!). I use digital scales, put a shoebox with air holes on it and zero it, remove the lid and add the snake, replace the lid and there you have the snakes weight (or you can weigh the box, take it off the scales and put the snake in it, weigh them together and then subtract the weight of the box....whichever you prefer).

It certainly sounds as though you have a good feeder, which is great! I think it is definitely a case of as soon as he has got a hold of his dinner move away !

You say that the mouse does not leave a big bump in him once he has swallowed it....what size mouse is it and how often are you feeding him? It will also be easier to judge what he should be on once his weight is known....although you should only use his weight as a guide to what he should be feeding on, its all down to knowing your snake and what he needs.

I honestly think it will just be a case of patience, being calm and being gentle with him and hopefully he will stop the striking out when you go to get him out of the viv (de ja vu moment!! Think I've already said this in Sonic's introduction )....so just give him time. The fact that his previous owner's 12yr old son used to pick him up out of the viv and he was striking then makes me wonder how well he was handled , so it may just be giving him the time to realise that you are not going to treat him like he is used to being treated.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi kellog
he is getting there with handeling,on his first day on sunday there were alot of strikes, yesterday not so many, once i put him back he was there for a few hours and wi got him out so my son could see him after school and he didnt strike at all, and sat with my son for ages, we also seehim alot more out of his hides as previously he was in them all the time, i have just checked on him this morning and noticed that there was some shed skin not alot though and he still has some attatched about 2 inchs from his head i have tried to get some photos to try and show this, shall i just leave him to it, when i first got him out on sunday i noticed he had the odd bit of skin here and there on his scales so guessed he prob wasnt shedding properly so got a damp towel and let him go through it and they come off, so wondering if to do that again.
i had no idea he was about to start shedding as not nticed his eyes go blue and he has been fine to handle

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  02:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad he is improving with getting him out of the viv. Remember that you have only just had him a fortnight....and the fact that during that time not only has he had to get over the stress of the move and get used to you, but he has also been 'blue'....which has probably contributed a lot to his reaction (as his vision is still compromised even once his eyes have cleared, until he sheds). But the fact he has been so happy to be handled once out of the viv, despite being 'blue' is really positive.

You are getting there with him and seeing signs of improvement already, just give him time .

(have replied in Sonic's thread about shedding issue )

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000