power costs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  21:16:28  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we got a power meter/cost gadget at work so i borrowed it tonight as i was curious as to how much my heatmat+stat costs to run as well along with my LED lights.

so i have a habistat 7w 6x11" heatmat and a habistat mat stat.
to run these for 1 year i have worked out it will cost me £3.54 in electricity obviously the heatmat is only on when the stat turns it on. the stat is ofc always on.

my led lights are a bit more power hungry!
to use my led lights for 1 year, based on 1 hour each day will cost me £1.02 in electricity

i know its not much money, and the outcome would never affect my decision of how i look after my snake. i just found it interesting so i thought i would share

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  21:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£3.54 a year! That's nothing! lol.

Thort it we be a few quid a month.

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  21:29:16  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah i was surprised too. bare in mind that im using a small heatmat. its only 6x11 inches - if you have a bigger heatmat, it will cost more!
also when on, the heatmat consumes 7w of power. when off it only uses 1w. obviously the more time your heat mat is heating, the higher the cost. this will be different for every setup i guess.

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 30/09/2010 21:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  01:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
16 vivs/tanks (14 heat sources) and 4 computers permanantly on = 48p per day.
Total running cost is around 180 squids a year.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:38:13  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't think having 2 fish tanks would raise the electric that much, but per quarter my bill went up by £20-£30 (and thats with having the lights on only when we were in). So selling one should save us a bit per month.

When we first got Tango last September we didn't really notice the bill going up much but now we have 2 snakes will probably eat into the saving from getting rid of that one tank.

I'm hoping my next bill will be lower as I've changed the plan I'm on. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  07:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The electric bill has never occurred to me, I set my 3rd
Faun up last night without giving it a second thought.

But to be fair its still a cheap hobby, 1 mouse a week, bit of aspen, I get through a bottle of the reptile disinfectant in about 6 months.

I reckon for my 3 snakes (when I get my 3rd) it will be less than £30 a month total.

Good thread mate.

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  08:04:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apprently costs me £1.50 a month to heat just one snake XD

http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  09:30:18  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that calc tells me that a year will cost me £6.50 but that is assuming that my mat is always on. its on roughly 50% of the time so my calculation of £3.54 is accurate i think.

as soon as you have a larger heatmat or a multiple snakes, the cost goes up pretty rapidly but as gaz1989 says, its a cheap hobby. i dont heat my dog but he costs me atleast £40 a month!!

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  09:31:47  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

4 computers!?!

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  12:43:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

that calc tells me that a year will cost me £6.50 but that is assuming that my mat is always on. its on roughly 50% of the time so my calculation of £3.54 is accurate i think.

as soon as you have a larger heatmat or a multiple snakes, the cost goes up pretty rapidly but as gaz1989 says, its a cheap hobby. i dont heat my dog but he costs me atleast £40 a month!!

Indeed. I've also worked out that 4 mats is cheaper than 1 previous set-up of bulb heating but I do have dodgy maths skills and I have no idea if dimming the actually bulb/increasing it makes a huge difference.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  15:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

4 computers!?!

The computers control the cameras and the bot, plus the one I use as my day to day machine. Funnily enough I turned it off last night for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Quite often the mats etc don't cost as much as you'd think to run, we have several other things in the house that probably use much more sparky juice. The tumble drier for example will probably use the same amount of elastic-trickery in 30 mins that the contents of my rep-room would use in a day.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

....But to be fair its still a cheap hobby, 1 mouse a week, bit of aspen, I get through a bottle of the reptile disinfectant in about 6 months......

I wonder how long that will last..... it will be 100 mice a month before you know it!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000