measuring a snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  16:55:01  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have done alot of reading/research about my snake - but today i came accross something new & very useful so i thought i would share it. great if you want to keep records of your husbandry and far easier than the string method of measuring!
some people may be aware of this program, some may not but i think its brilliant (plus its free!). im a bit of a geek and i always look for ways my pc can make anything easier for me lol
download from here: http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html

How to use Snake Measurer:
# 1- Take an overhead picture of a snake
# 2- Be sure to include something of a known size
# 3- Be sure the snake is on a flat surface and your picture is from as square an angle as possible
# 4- Run the program and open a picture
# 5- Select 'Set Length Unit' in menu
# 6- Click on two points in the picture to set your measurement standard
# 6- Type in the known distance between the selected points (e.g. if you are using a 12-inch ruler, type in 12)
# 7- Select 'Begin Measuring' in menu
# 8- Starting at one end of the snake, click on points along its spine until you reach the other end
# 9- To go backwards (erase a dot along the line) press backspace or select 'Go Back' in the menu
# 10- When you are done, you have a total length measurement in the units you provided.

For best results:
# 1-the snake should be on a flat surface, and should be laying flat (not climbing...)
# 2-The item used for the measurement standard (ruler, etc.) should be as close to the same distance from the camera as possible. Sitting the snake on a table and having it crawl over a piece of graph paper, a chessboard, or anything else that is easily measurable is best. Coins and other round items are not recommended because it is difficult to get a good straight line perfectly across the center of them in the program.
# 3-The larger the item used for measurement, the better. If you have an item that is 1 inch long, and your snake is 50 inches long, and your measurement of the item is off by 1/16th of an inch, you are going to multiply that error by over 3 inches.
# 3-The picture should be taken from directly overhead to keep the perspective from distorting the measurement. For example, if you took the picture at an angle and your ruler is in the back of the picture, the ruler will appear smaller than the snake from there, so the snake will measure out as larger than it is.

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

Sika
Hatchling

350 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  17:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Sika's Homepage  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool, I usually just measures the shed - though nice program!

0.1 Corn snake - Motley Sunglow (Aia)
1.0 Hognose - normal (Vitus)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  18:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Measuring the shed isn't an accurate guage for the length though as it stretches when it comes off, deducting about 10% of the length will give you a closer measurement but still only a rough guess.

I've used the snake measurer program in the past and although not completely accurate either, it's theone that gives the closest results, usually only an inch (maybe 2) out, as it all depends on the resolution of the photo as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  03:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its probably more accurate than my suggestions made in How to - Measure your snake ....but my suggestion was more fun !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 02/10/2010 05:16:10
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  10:02:47  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol that does look like more fun!

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use a length of string. Get sid on the floor, hold her head and lay the string across her head then hold it in plase as I slide my hand down her body along with the string. Grip it at certain points and then hold it at the end to mark where to measure to.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:20:12  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice program! I'll give that a go this week!!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:32:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
downloaded that yesterday and it does the job

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:10:31  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i found that if you tap firmly on the snakes head, just enough to knock it out, then you will have just enough time to line it up and measure up!!

.......i am obviously joking!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000