First corn snake/ help! :D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  12:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to get a corn snake within the next two months or so (Amelanistic/Red Albino, he's beautiful! ), I just need help and suggestions with what size vivarium/set up and substrate for the snake as I've done loads of research but most websites say different things :(
So yeah, if anyones willing to help I'll be more than greatful!
Thanks x

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  13:01:34  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is the snake you are getting? The size and type of housing (faun or viv) will depend on it's size. Have a look on the caresheet, via the homepage, that gives you loads of information.
Also have a look at the 101 sticky on setting up for a hatchling.
I love your choice of snake, Amels are stunning!
Let us know if need more help.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Saamicaat....you have come to the right place for help and advice and you have done it at the right time, well before you get your corn so you can be prepared as possible! So good to see.

The Care Sheet that Herriotfan mentioned is very helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake. Herriotfan also mentioned Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 which is definitely required reading and should hopefully answer most of your questions.

As you have already discovered, there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask !

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000