2 year old corn snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  18:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i have a friend who has to give up her animals and she is giving away a 2 year old corn snake, i have never had one, i had a python when i was younger and have had all kinds of animals but usually from hatchlings. Is there any worries getting one thats 2 years old? Are they likely to be put off by a new Scent all of a sudden? I am going to check it out before i decide, i just thought id ask on here of anything i should look out for.
Thanks!

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  02:19:27  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only guessing here as I haven't had experience of this but I think they should be fine. If they've been looked after well and you give them 7 days left alone to settle in then I expect they'll be fine. I'm sure an expert will come along and confirm this for you soon

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  03:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lizard....hopefully this will be a 'welcome to the crazy world of corn snakes', cos I would definitely recommend that you think seriously about taking this snake on as long as you have a good history of its feeding habits/shedding/weight etc.

You also need to check that it has everything it needs - the equipment most often forgotten being a heatmat with a stat to control its temperature and a digital thermometer to monitor it....all vital. I know that your friend is giving this corn away, but if it doesnt have this equipment it will mean you buying it.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners (I know you used to own a python but its good to get as much info as possible on a new species). Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I got both my corns as adults, Kellog (my 1st corn) as a 4yr old and, although his set-up wasnt ideal, he was a wonderful first snake (other than going into breeding mode from the moment I got him and not eating for 3 months but I doubt that will be a problem ). Silvesta was 3yrs old and hadnt been treated well, was very thin and very feisty. If I hadnt had the experience of having had Kellog I would not have taken him on.

Things to check other than a detailed history would be firstly to ask the question 'why' is she getting rid of it. She may have a perfectly good reason but you dont want to take on a problem snake.

Its behaviour....watch your friend handle it and then handle it yourself and see how it moves and reacts to you, whether it fights to get away or seems stressed. Obviously some of this will be natural as it will pick up on your vibes as being a new handler, but hopefully you can get an idea as to what sort of snake it is. Does it strike? Does it lie limp and motionless in your hands? Both bad signs for a 2yr old.

Once you have got a hold of it try and examine it as best you can, checking it for cuts, scrapes, lumps. Are its belly scales smooth and even or curled and discoloured? What shape would it be if you cut it in half? Bizarre question I know but you dont want to take on a snake with an eating problem that will be a triangular shape, or an obese snake that will be circular....what you are looking for is an arch shape to show a healthy snake. You should be able to feel the muscles moving under the skin as you handle it.

Look at its head. The eyes should be clean and free of any debris or parasites and the same with the nose. Check that the mouth closes all the way and that it doesnt seem to have any sort of thick saliva in it. Is it interested in its surroundings? Tongue flicking and head moving? Does the head turn to look at you or hang limply?

If you can, check it for mites (although this shouldnt be an issue being a friend's snake rather than one coming from a pet shop). The easiest way is to wet a piece of kitchen roll, lay it in the palm of your hand, close this hand around the corn snake and allow it to slither all the way through. Look at the kitchen roll and check whether it is still clean or whether it has tiny specks crawling around on it.

I know that this is a friend, so please dont take this the wrong way, but inspect the snake's viv. Is it clean and well-kept, big enough? If not then this may mean the snake could fall ill soon after you got it home.

A lot of this may not be necessary and I know I didnt do most of it when I got Kellog as it was obvious from the history I got, the handling of him, his reactions and the condition he was being kept in that he was a healthy animal. I just wanted to give you some ideas as to what to look out for in an unhealthy animal, as that is the last thing you want to take on.

As for taking on a snake that is 2yrs old rather than a hatchling, no problem at all. Hopefully the snake will be used to handling and will be a proven feeder and shedder....things you would normally have to worry about with a hatchling. If you do get it you will need to follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow the snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. Then it is just a case of taking it slowly, quality not quantity with handling, and get to know your snake.

Hope this has been some help and given you a rough idea as to what to look out for (sorry, think I may have gone on a bit about that ) and also reassured you that as long as it is a healthy 2yr old then there should be no problem with you taking it on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  14:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog! Thats some good info, and pretty much answers all my questions lol!
I will be checking it out this weekend and i will look for all you have said. Thanks Again!
Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  20:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i took in a 3 year old corn snake in july and he has been fine, i knew the wee guy that had him too and it was just a case of he had no time for the snake anymore and was just chucking a mouse in every week

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  22:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to the forum having unexpectedly taken on a 2 year old snake that someone else didn't want. Florence has been with us for
two and a half weeks now and she has been brilliant. We don't reach in to the viv to get her out but open the front and wait for her to decide to come out. when she is nearly out we lift her up and she comes on to the sofa with us for about 20 mins or so. I'm thrilled that she seems equally happy with both of us. This forum is great for help and advice so I'd say go for it. One tip that I've picked up from here is to keep records of feeding and defacating, also to weigh and measure monthly when the snake is used to being handled- such a good idea. We also have two water dishes so just have to swap them over, good for the first few weeks so as not to upset too much. All the best
Go to Top of Page

Paul82
Egg

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  01:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my 2 boy when thay were 2y and 3y from a lady that rescuse snake and rehomes them, Casper my snow,had a hard start to life, he was forgoten about by the owner and almost starved to death and whan he was rescued he had slash wounds were we think a cat has got to him at some point. :[

But this amazing lady did her magic and slowly got him back from the edge......

Now hes a fit happy sexy snaky and u wouldnt evan know. :]

As for Rusty he was over fed and proper fat, now just right for his size, 5f 7" My big boy. :]

1.0.0, Rusty (Carolina)
1.0.0, Casper (Snow)
1.0.0, Mitch (miami) he is new but 21 years old.

Princess lady legs (curly hair TARANTULA)

2 Dogs, Bruce (jack russel)
Bella (staffy)

Wish list, Bloodred motley stripe, Candy cane stripe, Childrens python.

Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  21:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i have the her now, she seems to be just at the end of shedding, I'm not overly in love with the little amount of things for her to hide in and climb on in the Viv, so im gonna go buy some things on monday. She seems pretty healthy, i havent attempted to handle just yet, i will let her settle in as reccommended
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  21:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  04:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lizard800

Well i have the her now, she seems to be just at the end of shedding, I'm not overly in love with the little amount of things for her to hide in and climb on in the Viv, so im gonna go buy some things on monday. She seems pretty healthy, i havent attempted to handle just yet, i will let her settle in as recommended

So glad you have got her now Lizard....and by the sounds of it she definitely needed a better home than the one she was in if she doesnt have enough hides or foliage to make her feel safe.

I am a bit concerned about your comment regarding the fact that she is 'just at the end of shedding'....do you mean she is blue and about to shed or she is literally shedding but it is in pieces? If it is the latter then you may have to handle her sooner than you would like to if she has any retained shed on her. You need to check that the eyecaps and tail tip have come clean away....check the shed skin to see if you can find them. If not then it may cause her problems. You can help by adding an extra water dish in the warm side, to increase the humidity and if necessary a moss hide....so you dont need to handle her to get rid of the retained skin. But I am jumping the gun....what point is she up to?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  19:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would seem that she is well in tothe process, she has shed alot of skin and there is still some coming off, there is none around her head, a little bit at her tail, i will add some more water now. When i touch her, (this may sound like a bizarre or uneducated question!)i feel a sort of vibration, is that normal?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  02:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would seem that she is well in tothe process, she has shed alot of skin and there is still some coming off, there is none around her head, a little bit at her tail, i will add some more water now. When i touch her, (this may sound like a bizarre or uneducated question!)i feel a sort of vibration, is that normal?

Do you know when she started shedding?

If it has been a while then it may mean she needs a little help. I know this isnt ideal as you have only just got her....but adding some moss hides may help, this will help raise the humidity and hopefully when she goes through them it will encourage the rest of the shed off. You could swap her usual hides for damp ones or make a moss hide.

I am very aware that I am no expert and obviously this will be disruptive to her as it is really her settling in period, but I am unsure as to whether you should wait until that week is over before doing something....sorry I cant be more help.

As for the vibrating, this is probably a natural fear reaction from her....nothing to worry about, I would just suggest that you dont touch her until she has had the chance to settle in and get used to your smell.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had her out now, when she realised i was no threat, she literally came out onto my hands and up my arms, she is incredibly friendly! I am on my way to the pet shop in a minute, i will get a few things and i will get a moss hide.
I'm not sure when she stopped shedding, i didnt even see the girl i got it from it was her cousin, she said she is due a feed but never even mentioned that she was shedding, there is none on her tail now after i let her slide through a damp flannel lol. There is just some patches on her sides. i think i need a better heat source as the mat doesnt seem to be generating much.
Thanks for your help!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  09:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A moss hide can't hurt so I would do that straightaway. If the shed isn't off in the next day or so then just give the snake a soak in warm water and then let him move through your hands in a old towel.

Don't pull the skin off if it doesn't come away first time, just repeat the bath again the day after.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  11:13:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i bet she's above the heatmat when you feel her vibrating? it feels even more weird when the mat's running off a pulse stat lol

a heatmat set up correctly should adequate, even ideal, for a corn...........
how have you got the mat set up? is there a lot of substrate covering it? are you running it off a thermostat? and where are you stat and thermometer probes placed?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats actually a concern of mine, i have a heat mat that is working but i have a thermometer near it and its not a great temp, generally around 70f or lower, there is a bulb fitting but it sort of hangs down the back of the viv and i think it would hurt the her if she touched a heat bulb. Can you get different strength heat matts? there is a little but of Substrate covering it
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  04:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have had her out now........she is incredibly friendly!

........I'm not sure when she stopped shedding........there is none on her tail now after i let her slide through a damp flannel lol. There is just some patches on her sides. i think i need a better heat source as the mat doesnt seem to be generating much.

I am so glad she is so friendly and well done for doing the 'damp flannel' trick, it really does work well as shown by the fact that you have managed to get the tail tip off.

As Kaz has said, put in the moss hide and hopefully it will do the job and help her get rid of those last patches of retained skin. If not it will prepare her for a bath.

Hopefully this wont be necessary....but it is best to be prepared. The bath can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28oC. There is some difference in opinion as to the depth of the water. You can either do it deep enough that her belly can touch the floor in case she wants to rest, or you can put her in water that's about 3 times deeper than herself...she will duck under but don't worry about drowning issues, they are more than capable of keeping their heads above water. You can put a bit of fairy in too, it will help get the water underneath the skin she has retained. Let her swim in it for a couple of minutes or until the temps drop to around 22oC. You can run your fingers gently down her body just to make sure that the water is really getting at the retained shed. The water should have helped to loosen and dislodge the skin. She will have no desire to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well.

When you get her out get a dry towel and let her wriggle through it but apply a bit of pressure to it - it usually helps to encourage the retained shed come off.

But, as I have said, hopefully the bath wont be needed.

quote:

Thats actually a concern of mine, i have a heat mat that is working but i have a thermometer near it and its not a great temp, generally around 70f or lower, there is a bulb fitting but it sort of hangs down the back of the viv and i think it would hurt the her if she touched a heat bulb. Can you get different strength heat matts? there is a little but of Substrate covering it

You mention that the heatmat doesnt seem to be generating much heat, but when you touch it yourself it shouldnt feel hot. I am very concerned about the set-up as you have described it. I would GUESS from your description that you have a thermometer 'near' the heat mat, that you are using a dial thermometer stuck on the wall of the viv. These are absolutely useless and it will only be measuring the ambient air when what you need to know is the temperature where she is, at ground level. If this is right you need to get a digital thermometer as soon as possible. This Digital Thermometer is one that a lot of us have bought....it is cheap but more importantly it comes quickly so unless you can get down to a pet shop to buy one as soon as possible I would get this (or something similar) ordered.

If the temp at substrate level is 70oF then it is much too low, but as I have said, I suspect that is the ambient temperature in her viv. You are looking for a temperature of 27/29oC (80/84oF I think) in the warm end.

Does your heatmat have a thermostat to control it? If not then it needs one as soon as possible. An uncontrolled heatmat can reach temperatures that can burn your snake. If this is the situation then I would suggest you switch the mat off and cover the viv with a blanket to try and keep the heat in until you can get a thermostat. I do hope that your friend was sensible enough to have a thermostat controlling the heatmat.

As far as positioning the probes for both the thermostat and the digital thermometer, this thread on Probe Positioning should help.

The bulb situation is definitely a worry as she could easily either burn herself or crush the bulb if she decided to climb up. If you do have a stat controlling your heatmat then I would personally remove the bulb straight away. If you dont then the bulb is the only heat she will be getting once you turn the mat off so will need to stay until you can rectify the situation.

She doesnt need both the bulb and the heatmat to supply her with heat. Most of us just use heatmats and have low energy bulbs in for our own benefit, so we can see into the vivs....but any bulbs MUST have guards around them to stop the snake getting close.

I am sorry Lizard, this must really seem like information overload to you....but I do hope that it helps you in getting her viv how you want and need it to be.

xxx
Go to Top of Page

lizard800
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  16:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Thanks for all your help, its not info overload its important stuff for me to learn lol. I bought her a new heat mat and a thermostat which seems to be working much better, the girl in the shop talked me through it, i took her in with me to see what size mice i should give her, and its all set now, i am going to feed her tonight for the first time. I cant believe i havent had a corn before she is so friendly and i just open the viv and she comes out on to my hand and up my arm. Thanks again for all the help, it has been very handy and much appreciated!!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  04:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizard, you are doing so well and she is lucky to have you as an owner ! And just the fact that she is being so friendly shows how calm and confident you are with her....she isnt picking up on any scared or negative vibes. Well done.

And no need for the thanks....its what the forum is here for !

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000