Coming Soon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  08:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saying hello. My daughter has had 2 corn snakes for about a year or so that were hatchlings from her boyfriends snakes. It was believed they were both male, got on well together although one seemed a bit gay at times. The other month we discovered why when we found one laying eggs.

This week they started hatching and I'm soon to be the proud owner of a snake myself. Not named yet but just thought I'd join in here ready. I will probably need advice occasionally and by sharing my experience may help other 'newbies'.

*moved to intros from general*

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 28/09/2010 22:01:45

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  13:25:19  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
aww Congratulations on your babies

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  14:30:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You should seperate the male as soon as possible. If they're only a year old it is potentially very dangerous and could result in the female possibly losing her life.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 28/09/2010 14:31:53
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  17:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the hatchies, let us know how you get on!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  17:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I do hope your female will be ok. She's certainly very young to be reproducing!
The normal rule is 3 years old, 3 feet long and 300gms in weight!!
Please do as DannyBrown91 said and seperate them.
There is lots of great information on the caresheet, via the homepage, have a look at it.
Any questions you have post and we will try to help.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  19:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Puzzled as to why the recommendation to split them have appeared.
The Original poster says he's getting ONE snake. It's his daughter that has the pair.

Hello Gartag and welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  20:02:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Note "daughter", this usually means they will have contact? :P

And welcome to the forum. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  04:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Garth, welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . Obviously you have your daughter to give you advice, but its always good to be able to show her you can do this on your own !

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is, as Herriotfan has mentioned, Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake and as it is a hatchling you are getting then Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading!

I do understand why the previous forum members have immediately advised 'you' to separate the male and female....even though they are your daughter's snakes, they only have the welfare of the snakes at heart and it is a great concern to hear of 2 such young snakes being housed together, especially with the female breeding at such a young age....which could have killed her. The problem with them staying together is that this will happen again and there are many other dangers....but, obviously, this is your daughter's concern and not yours, but is maybe worthwhile you being aware of....

When you do get your baby you need to make sure that it is one that has shed and has fed normally a number of times, there can be a lot of problems with non-feeders with hatchlings and you want to start out the best way you can with a healthy little snake. I bet you cant wait and are counting down the days !

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you , so luckily you have your daughter to ask for advice. Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are just planning on starting down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  05:48:57  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats!
Keep us updated..!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  10:24:26  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi & Welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:34:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000