New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  16:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone.

I have just got my first corn snake and brought him home on Saturday.

Since then he has spent all of his time sheleterd in one of his two hides (warm and cool)and is showing no signs of venturing out although i guess this is to be expected to begin with.

Can anyone advise on when and how I should start to introduce myself to him. I don't want to stress him out by just lifting his hide off him but can't see an alternative if he just stays inside it.

He is about to shed so will post some pics once he has.

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  16:36:19  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
usually you should give them atleast a week to setle down before handling, also dont handle him for 48 hours after being fed :) enjoy ur corn :) its a bad addiction :D lol :)

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  16:41:20  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome 2 the forum :]

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

Expect a long and very helpful post from kellog explaining everything very soon

As i far as my knowledge goes, leave him be for a week or so until he settles down. When you go in to change his water rub your hands around the viv, grab some of the aspen etc etc. This will introduce him to your scent.

Im sure he'll be popping his head out to say hello in no time.

I give it 6 months till you start adding to your collection

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:39:28  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Dylan, welcome to the forum. I wouldn't worry too much about Conner hiding. For one he will be hiding because he has come to a new home and there are lots of new smells and noises/vibrations to get used to. Also he will be hiding because he is getting ready to shed and when they are in blue their eyesight is considerably restricted. Until he has shed or until he has been settling in for 7 days, whichever is the longest, I would just stick to daily water changes and running your hand through the substrate to introduce your smell. When he has shed carefully check it to make sure they eyecaps and tail tip are present. You shouldnt need to touch Conner unless his shed is in pieces and you need to check it is all off him. After the shed or 7 day period is up then you can feed him but then you have another 48 hour wait until you can handle him.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  18:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  18:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  19:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  01:58:26  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  03:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dylan, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake. I am assuming it is a hatchling you have, so Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading .

You have been given really good advice already (some of which I will repeat ). As already mentioned, what he is doing at the moment is totally normal, especially as he is 'blue'. We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate as suggested, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about him not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you.

The fact that he is due a shed makes it a bit more complicated. I would guess that you have seen that he is cloudy eyed and with dull colours. His eyes will clear up and his colours brighten up....looking like he has shed....but it will be approx 4/5 days after that before he does, all snakes differ. If this continues past the week settling in period it is best to continue to leave him until after he has shed before feeding him (then leave him for 48hrs) and then finally you can have your first handle. Obviously if this happens within the week then you can carry on as normal unless there is a problem with his shed, as KdLang has said.

When the time comes for you to start introducing yourself to him it may be that you have to take his hide off him, both my corns are rarely seen outside of their hides at the moment unless I take them out to handle them. Have a look at Handling Advice....hopefully it will give you some ideas as to how to start.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible, especially as he is going to shed and will look stunning afterwards ! This link will help - How to - Post images using photobucket

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  10:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog,

Thanks for the info. i read the care sheet in advance, so made sure that Viv was pre-prepared with hides, heatmats and thermostats (yes the pet shop said that we didn't need a thermostat). His skin has started to look brighter, prior to shed and I was wondering if it was meant to, so thanks for clearing that up.

One other thing that i was concerned about was that the guy in the pet shop fed him just before we took him out of the shop, so we were really careful with him on the journey home (i say him, although it could be a her I forgot to ask)but he kept everything down just fine, so in hindsight I guess it was usefull to see him take food confidently before we got him home.

So will leave him in peace to shed, feed and wait 48 hours. Then I will post some pics in his nice bright orange and yellow coat!
Go to Top of Page

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny
Go to Top of Page

Deano712
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  18:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  04:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dyaln

.......i read the care sheet in advance, so made sure that Viv was pre-prepared with hides, heatmats and thermostats (yes the pet shop said that we didn't need a thermostat). His skin has started to look brighter, prior to shed and I was wondering if it was meant to, so thanks for clearing that up.

One other thing that i was concerned about was that the guy in the pet shop fed him just before we took him out of the shop, so we were really careful with him on the journey home (i say him, although it could be a her I forgot to ask)but he kept everything down just fine, so in hindsight I guess it was usefull to see him take food confidently before we got him home.

So will leave him in peace to shed, feed and wait 48 hours. Then I will post some pics in his nice bright orange and yellow coat!

So good to hear of a new corn snake owner who is as prepared as you Dylan ....just the sort of forum member we love ! And why doesnt it surprised me that the pet shop said you didnt need a thermostat !!

Glad I was able to clear up the question about what was going on with his shedding....it always catches newbies out when they go from being cloudy to normal without any sign of a shed !

It does surprise me that he was fed immediately before you brought him home....you have been very lucky that there were no problems as the stress of the move could easily have caused a regurge. I am just so glad that didnt happen, you must have handled the whole process as stress-free as possible for him....well done .

Now the wait.....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  05:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  10:24:56  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi & Welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:34:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000