shedding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  14:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all, our we corn snake jaspers eyes have just turned blue/grayish and colour has dulled doen on his scales, just wondering now he has started the shedding process if it still ok too handle etc just now or whats best way? not too sure as this first snake we have had, thanks

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  14:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I leave mine alone as they are partially blind and will generally feel vulnerable. I don't think adding to the stress of being blind and vulnerable is really a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  14:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, thanks just wonted too double check on here, thanks for the quick replys
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  03:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a personal choice I think about feeding and handling during the period of them going blue and shedding Barry, but, like Gmac, I am one of those owners who has chosen not to.

To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont.

I also dont handle during this time as even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!).

You will find that his eyes will stay cloudy and his colour dull for a few days and then they will clear up. Lots of new owners have been caught out by this and searched the snake's viv for the shed skin ....but it will actually be about 4/5 days afterwards that Jasper will shed, all snakes are different (my Silvesta just took 10 days from his eyes clearing to shedding ).

What you need to look out for then is him being a bit more active, rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see Jasper shed.

What is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  10:35:13  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Sid is quite happy to carry on as usual when he's in shed. I can still handle him and he will still feed. I think he knows my scent and he's quite safe and secure with me so he's ok.
I do realise some snakes hide away and would hate any form of contact.
Only you can decide what's best for you and your snake.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000