New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had my digital thermometer delivered (YAY!) and my question is where should the stat and therm probe be situated. do they lie flat on top of the mat or do just the tips need to be touching the substrate or the glass bottom of the viv?
total noob questions i know but i've never had to use mats before and in the pictures you see you cant always see how the probe lies!

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  18:46:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The probes need to be flat, either in contact with the mat (eg in a wooden viv) or flat on the bottom of the tank (eg glass viv,RUB).

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  18:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, should i attach the thermometer probe to the stat probe so they're in the same place? or doen'st it matter?

Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  20:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have mine attatched to the stat probe in one of the fauns as 3 are run off the same stat :) but yeah i have thermometer and stat probe attatched

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  14:54:58  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stupidly stuck my cold end thermometer right at the top of the viv, nowhere near where the snake roams! I realised as soon as I stuck it down...doh! Might have to source out another sticker and move it further down.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  16:43:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cold end thermometer shouldn't matter too much.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  04:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at this thread Liesel, as it covers the issue of positioning the probes really well and the different ways it can be done - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8402

xxx

Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  19:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I found once i had my digital in with the stat both lying on the substrate the temp difference between the digital and the dial exo terra one on the side was massive! so i've been stressing about the viv being too cold - dial saying 19 or 21C at the most the digital one immediately went up to 31.6C!! so now i've got it sorted and will recommend digital to everyone!
Thanks for the link Kellog!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  03:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liesela

Thanks! I found once i had my digital in with the stat both lying on the substrate the temp difference between the digital and the dial exo terra one on the side was massive! so i've been stressing about the viv being too cold - dial saying 19 or 21C at the most the digital one immediately went up to 31.6C!!........

Am so glad you have got it sorted Liesel....just the fact that the temp was 31.6oC, which is too hot, shows how vital accurate readings are! It just makes me so cross when people are not supplied with the correct information or are just not given any information at all ! I dread to think what might have happened to your poor snake had you relied on the dial thermometer .

But what is important is that you took the advice given, made the changes necessary and can now work at getting a warm end temp of around 27/29oC....you just need to 'tweak' the thermostat until the digital thermometer is showing the temp you want. Result....one happy snake and one very happy owner !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000