food size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  18:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im feeding my corn on fuzzies but im not sure if its ok to start moving her up to a small mouse do you measure the size of food suitable by making sure its 1 1/2 the size of thickest part of its body

~AJG~

NikkiLian
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  19:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Aaronjg. When u've fed her a fuzzy is there a noticable 'bulge' in her body? if not, it's probably time to move her upto something bigger, but nothing bigger than 1 1/2 times the thickest part of her body.

0.0.1 Carolina corn~Loki
0.1.0 Snow Corn~Isis
0.0.1 Anery Corn~Midnight
0.0.1 Amel~Medusa
0.0.1 MBK~ Chaos
0.0.1 Royal ~ Sobek
1.2.0 cats~Frosty,Pickle, Ziggy
2.1.0 little monsters ~ Taylor, Kaiden, Leah
1.0.0 understanding husband ~ Craig
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  20:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a bulge yea but she take it down in seconds so i wasnt sure but ill keep her on fuzzies for a while thanks :)

~AJG~
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  22:26:37  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could try her on two at the next feed. If she's fine with that then give her two for the next couple of feeds. As long as she's not regurging, is pooing ok and is her normal self then there shouldn't be any reason why she can't move up a size.
Yes the general rule is one and a half times the widest part of the snake's girth.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  23:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the next size up is hoppers Not small mICe

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  00:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok then thanks i myt try 2 fuzzies tommorrow but i read sum where that if you over feed them they can die is this true? and the fuzzies im feeding her atm are only just bigger than the widest part of her body but it still buts a bulge in her body.

~AJG~
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  04:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly havent heard the bit about overfeeding causing them to die Aaron, although I am no expert. There is always a risk of them putting on too much weight and becoming obese though. Snakes are opportunistic feeders...in the wild they will never know when or where they are getting their next meal and they are the same in captivity, so given the chance they will overfeed and it is up to us to make sure this doesnt happen, no matter how hungry they may look!

The time it would be dangerous would be if you were to try and feed your corn a mouse too big for it, which is why we follow the guide that the 'dinner's' girth is no bigger than 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth.

As Herriotfan has suggested, it sounds as though the best plan is to move up to 2 fuzzies for a while before you then move her on to a fluff/hopper (which comes before a small adult mouse). It is always a good idea to move up slowly, 1 prey item then multiple prey items then move up to the next size prey item.

Just remember that there is no rush, as long as she is putting on weight and is healthy, that is all that is important.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  18:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks alot for the adive ill take it into consideration, but she swallowed them both in under 5 mins so ill let you kno if theres any regurgs

~AJG~
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  02:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaronjg

........she swallowed them both in under 5 mins so ill let you kno if theres any regurgs

I am not sure if you did this, but it is a good idea to wait until the first fuszzie has been eaten and 'squeezed' til it is about half-way down her body before offering the 2nd fuzzie. It shouldnt cause a problem if you didnt, but may be a good idea to do next time.

Was there a nice bump once she had swallowed both fuzzies? If there was then I really wouldnt worry about the speed with which she is eating them....she is just a greedy snake !

Do you weigh her and is she putting on weight nicely? If not then it would definitely be a good idea to do it, I weigh mine before each feed....putting a shoebox with air holes punched in it on to a set of digital scales, zeroing them, adding the snake = snake's weight. You can easily find a container that will suit her size. Knowing her weight will soon indicate whether she is being fed enough and put your mind at rest.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea i waited for her to get the other more than half way down first before i offered her the second and i started keeping record on ma corn ans python this week corn is 55grams before feed and python is 490 grams lol but thanks for the concern and advice

~AJG~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000