Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  16:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need some advice on what to do next. Kelloggs escaped whilst i was feeding him. He was swallowing the first mouse when I got distracted.

He was in his feeding RUB. It was on a table 3 1/2 ft high, so i am worried he has jumped off and hurt himself.

I have an open plan lounge/kitchen so I have looked behind the cooker, taken the case lid off both computers and made sure he wasn't in them. Checked all the obvious places like his tank.

What should i do next?

Andrew

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  16:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try not to panic is the first thing and i know thats difficult to do as out guy escaped last week. check every nook and cranny. we found our guy inside a storage heater that is never turned on thank goodness. if you have pillows and what not laying about i found it easier to check them then carefully remove them from the room to make things easier to search. he will show up :D best of luck

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have managed to find winston twice, first time he was gone for 3 days i checked every where about 6 times i found him up the back of the fridge its nice warm and dark there the next time he was day 2 and i found him under the frontdoor mat very cold and a bit ****ed off i just hope you are as lucky as me just stay positive

winston
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  18:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because hes just eaten its likely that hes gone somewhere warm and dark, check under the sofa, under the tv, under the kitchen cupboards - if you can check under them that is,
dont panic too much - just keep any doors you can shut and check methodically - even the places that seem impossible for him to get into
hope you find him soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  20:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a good tip is to place carrier bags around the edges of all your rooms, as snakes like the edges of everything they will eventually rub up against them making a rustle then you can go about finding them.

hope this helps

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  21:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or foil, or crisp packets.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  22:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers for the advice. Will try the plastic bags round the edges. Checked everywhere i can get access to with no luck so far.

Hopefully he will turn up soon
Go to Top of Page

Paul82
Egg

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  23:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he just eaten and found some were warm and dark then he mite not move for a day or two, thay normaly tern up in the end.

good luck, keep us posted. :)

1.0.0, Rusty (Carolina)
1.0.0, Casper (Snow)
1.0.0, Mitch (miami) he is new but 21 years old.

Princess lady legs (curly hair TARANTULA)

2 Dogs, Bruce (jack russel)
Bella (staffy)

Wish list, Bloodred motley stripe, Candy cane stripe, Childrens python.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  00:50:54  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you could try putting a coverd heat mat down with a hide on top of it in the room he escaped from? not sure but might work
gud luck finding him

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  02:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
look behind the fridge, they get lovely and warm back there.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  10:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you find him!!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  04:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew, I am so sorry to hear about Kelloggs escaping.

I really wouldnt worry too much about him having hurt himself getting off the table, they are amazingly resilient creatures and he will have somehow worked his way down, or if he did fall then I doubt he will have injured himself.

I know this is a bit long, so apologies for it, but these are some notes I made about finding a lost snake. Some of the suggestions have already been made so apologies also for repeating them....

I know this is easily typed and hard to do, but the main thing to try and do in not panic.

To start trying to find him - when you look for him start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too. The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still no go, then you may need to look under the floorboards. For those awkward places with the pipes you can get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" also think as if you are looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lens.

Check near any heat sources - near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge, computer leads, behind tv, sterio, boiler...they will search out heat.

Do any of your seats/sofas have holes in he could have got into?

Make sure you check all clothing, towels etc...especially dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine...one forum member nearly sent her escaped snake for a wet wash.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water, he may decide to come home by himself. You must put a number of water dishes down cos a snake can go for a long time without food but not as long without water.

You could try putting the heatmat or a hot water bottle in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give him somewhere warm and safe to hide.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Try putting bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards cos he will move along the edge of the room and hopefully you will then hear him move.

As he has only just fed it probably isnt worth doing this yet, but if you havent found him by the next feeding day then it is worthwhile putting a bottle trap out. This is how to make one
http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263. Dont leave a mouse in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

As he was fed recently then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm place's, he'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. You can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for him to go.

Put flour across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show that he is around and whether he has gone into or out of a room.
Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it.

These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain cos of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall. And finally a forum member’s snake went missing whilst "holidaying" with the neighbours and it finally came home after 7 months, perfectly fit and well. The neighbours walked into their kitchen and found it curled up on their breadboard!

Hope some of this helps (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed').

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, even months and still turned up healthy and happy.

Again, apologies for the length of my comment, but I felt it was neccessary....and I do hope it has given you a few ideas about how to find Kelloggs and bring him home safely.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog, thanks for the detailed post. I initially searched the kitchen lounge area but the doors to the rest of the flat were open at the time so he could have gone anywhere in the house.

Unfortunately the fridge is integrated into the cupboards so i can't pull it out to look behind.

Will put water dishes in each room of the house with flour around them so i can see which water dish he has used.

Will start searching again tonight. The bookcase, computers and TV are all in the same area so it's likely he has made a nest somewhere near there.

Thanks for all your advice. I am hoping i will find him soon

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

candyazz
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  22:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck

if it helps u to know i found one of my missing african house snakes last night she was sitting ontop of a RUB she had been missing for over a week

hope u find him
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  12:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't add much more to what Kellog has said but do want to say Good Luck! As she said, don't give up hope as they have a canny way of looking out for themselves when they are on the loose and more often than not they turn up again, perfectly OK.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  13:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck. Bella was gone for two months before she turned up under the front doormat! Don't give up hope... that's what everyone told me here when I was despondent about losing her and I didn't believe, but she was back eventually.

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  13:25:00  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good luck with finding her, she will hopefully turn up soon just dont give up :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

mrsT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  21:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck hope you find her soon x

1 carolina corn - Jake

1 hypo lavender - Kane
1 xb dog - Zak

Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope she turns up soon.

We found Sizzle in the pocket of my daughter's dressing gown.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  16:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No luck yet but as I said I'm only 13... I haven't a clue about a bottle trap! :/
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
:( could u ask ur parents to have a look at the thread on here and help you build one?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000