underweight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  18:34:47  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been worried about Doyles weight for like a week but I havn't asked because there's been alot of posts about weight, but I'm still worried slightly.
he's just over a year old, 30 inches (roughly) and when I weighed him a week ago he was 89g
He doesn't look obviously underweight or anything but I thought he would weigh abit more than 89g ...
Is it normal for his age and length?
sorry, I know there are so many posts like 'is this the right weight?' and I know there's no strict range but is he sort of, 'normal' ??
Cheers guys

n/a
deleted

434 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  18:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
arww :/ i was worried bout tangoo before bout his weight as well. have you got a picture of all his body :) xx

Megg :) xxx

Creamsickle Corn Snake- Tangoo (Ginge) :)

would love to have a granite corn snake but unfortunately not allowed cuz mum hates snakes haha :P x

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he looks healthy and eats and poohs fine i wouldnt worry about it. If he doesnt look underweight he probably isnt.

his weight looks ok to me, i have one or two of similar weights so dont worry.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  19:29:26  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay thanks, I should also mention that he's on two fuzzies a week at the moment

I just needed to put my mind at rest!
also, when i handle him you can sometime see what i think is his spine, but iit isnt reallly prominant or anything

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  19:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no specific normal weight, you have to go on what he looks like, if hes eating ok, and passing fine, then unless there are internal parasites, then nothing is wrong. you will know if hes underweight, he will visibly look really skinny.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

434 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  19:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont worry about if you see the spine when he moves because you can probably see that on most snakes because it is just how they curve in and out xx

Megg :) xxx

Creamsickle Corn Snake- Tangoo (Ginge) :)

would love to have a granite corn snake but unfortunately not allowed cuz mum hates snakes haha :P x

Go to Top of Page

mowdid
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got my little snakey amber a couple of months ago she is 13 month 24" and only 39g ive been trawling the forums most of the day looking for average weights and on feeding. i think she has been under fed to keep her small by the pet shop i purchased her from. so if yours is under weight my little amber deffo is.
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  23:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mouse is a 09 snakie, hes about a year old now, 2.4ft and weighs 62g just over a week ago so i dont think you have to worry too much

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  04:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is totally normal for you to be worrying Rachel, you will find that having a corn snake that becomes a regular feeling ! And please dont ever worry about asking a question just because you know it has been asked before. If you havent found the answer you need then ASK! That is what we are here for !

As GMac and Mike (the experts) have said, as long as Doyles is eating, putting on weight and pooing ok then there really is nothing to worry about.

You say that he is on 2 fuzzies? I am assuming that is once a week? Depending on how long he has been on those then you may think about moving him up to fluffs, but only if they are no bigger than 1.5 times the size of the widest part of Doyles' body girth. As long as there is still a bump after feeding him the 2 fuzzies then he is eating fine and you are doing a great job with him .

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000