Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  00:40:51  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr stop, you're making me want one, it would remind me of me too much

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  14:08:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok... so Corniealus is now a clearance snake. I thought long and hard about it and it came down to money, which unfortunatly makes the world go round, even though it shouldnt. The threat of lots of expensive vet bills should something go wrong was a bit of an issue. The whole cluthch has slight deformaties. So I got an older baby, I would like to introduce you to Ozzy.

Please dont judge me. Also turns out the girl in the shop is much more PC when the shop is full of customers rather than her mates.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  16:30:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's a hard decision but i think you've made the right decision.......i just hope the deformed clutch are all sold honestly and to knowledgeable non-breeder homes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  17:19:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You made the right choice I think. I think it's disgusting of the petshop in the first place to knowingly sell deformed snakes in the first place! Do you know if these snakes were shop bred or if they bought them in?

I'd still write into the papers or something if I were you, so they don;t do this kind of thing again.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  18:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

[quote]Originally posted by Sammysnake

I didn't think anyone today still used such a hideous term as the one that came out of that shop assistant's mouth. I wonder if she refers to people that way too (very, very, VERY cross).

A friend of mine is a self confessed 'spacker' as he so politely puts it because he can't talk properly/walk very well and quite often will have accidents, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It all boils down to political correctness.

Are you aware of the charity called 'Scope'?? What were they called until political correctness went stupid?????
On a similar note, when you have a child getting upset because they've been called 'Challenged' then does it make the word spacker any worse??

I don't agree with the fact that she refered to it in front of a customer like that, but to whine about it?? Come on.
People who get offended about things most of the time have never had to deal with things like that and just do because they want to.

I wonder how many people used to stick their tongues into their lower lip when they were at school and make the noise that sounds like 'Der', yet now don't like the word spacker.

However if you would like to correct the shop assistant then you may inform them the a spacker was/is a medical term used to describe the way the skeletal muscles spasm uncontrollably. Which in itself is a form of upper motor neurone issues and even in types of cerebral palsy.

Anyone wanna complain when I mention that I need to retard the timing on my midget??

/quote]

Quite amazed by the naivety of this post. Your friend has every right to refer to himself as a "spacker" many disabled people, myself included use non pc terms as a way of taking the sting out of language used by others to hurt and offend. If you think that complaining about a shop assistant using this term in this way and to quote "but to whine about it??" you obviously did not grow up with this hateful term thrown at you all the time.

PC is not Political Correctness it is about being Polite and Courteous and I for one find your final comment neither.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:07:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Off topic, I don't know how I missed this, but there is nothing wrong with the word spacker! Yes some people will find it offensive, but so will some black people if you call them coloured. or even black. It used to be used by doctors until one day someone who is all healthy decided to play all high and mighty on behalf of spastics. I remember my self having poor speech when I was younger and people there at the clinic used to use spacker, spaz and spastic.

Oh, and if were going to get all PC you might want to re-think about using the words "wheel chair bound", "brave", "handicapped" and "special", they are non-pc now, voted by disabled people. There is also a wheel-chair brand in the US called "Spazz" I also know several people with mental health problems, hey use these "offensive words" and will get more annoyed at people tying to tip-toe round the words by saying "learning difficulties"

Um is this new snake from an of the same parents do you know?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was getting along well on this forum until I came across posts like thes perhaps you should stick to commenting on snakes as you are an epert on this issue, as a disabled person for 47 years and an equalities specilist for 20 I feel strongly that your views on the use of language in this area are uninformed at best, offensive at worst. What language individual disabled people find acceptable is up to them not me. If you don't understand why some language is considered inappropriate or offensive perhaps it is best to avoid commenting. Sorry to everyone else about the rant but been retired for three years noe(due to ill health) don't get the chance as often as I did at work lol

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree, Im sorry but please if you have views that may offend keep them to yourself. Ive taken only a few years of abuse from rude people and I already feel as though I cant take much more. I admit that I laugh at the names Im called and I tell people its ok, but on the inside its horrible. I only have a mental illness yet Id love to be normal. Yeah I call it normal, cause I know for certain Im not. And I also know most people who are different and have the capability to realise it feel the same as me. Its really not so nice. Sorry to rant, I dont want to be miserable but I just cant listen to you people.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tiffany

It probably won't be much help now but it will get better. I have a physical disability and got a lot of stick at your age. I know it is even harder as mental health is even less understood but as you get older you begin to realise that it is the ignorant and the biggoted that have the problem not you. ALan

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  21:23:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, kids are so cruel its disgusting! And its even worse that adults can be just as bad. Thanks for your support and positivity, you have no idea how much it means.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  22:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate ignorance! All mental illness sufferers get tarred with a nasty strerotypical image. I am classed as "Evil"! (Don't believe me: yahoo search what is a socipath) I am a sociopath and considered dangerous for the fact that I feel nothing towards humans. I perfer animals. Humans can be evil themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  23:08:20  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont worry about what people think of you, as difficult as it is. No one in my school apart from 1 friend has been told about my illness, yet people have guessed whats wrong through my school making stupid mistakes, because of this esp in the past year I have people asking me if Im gonna kill myself any time soon and if they can come to my funeral. Its sick, and only another person with a mental illness can see this. People dont see it as an illness they see it as you being a bad person. This is exactly why I think such things should be pushed further into schools to try and help people understand whats really going on, because using medication despite having bad days I am just like any other person. I know its irritating but people are cruel and theres nothing we can do. :/
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  05:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been away for a while I have only just come across this thread.

Ammerz....apologies for your thread being hijacked in the way it has. I am not surprised you reacted in the way you did when the pet shop girl referred to your snake as a 'spacker' snake....of course it made you feel protective and want to keep it. But I do believe you have done the right thing in returning it to the shop and getting Ozzy. You cannot know what internal problems there may have been and what future it had. I am just sorry that the shop is selling deformed snakes in this way....but then many of us on the forum know a lot about bad pet shops. I do hope you are now able to restart with Ozzy and will soon realize why we are so crazy about corns.

PC comments are a 'hot' topic and this was obviously going to effect people differently....but as BigAl says -

quote:
Originally posted by bigal

........What language individual disabled people find acceptable is up to them not me. If you don't understand why some language is considered inappropriate or offensive perhaps it is best to avoid commenting.......

I am sorry if the comments that have been made in this thread have changed your opinion of the forum Alan, but you must also understand that people do tend to rise in defence of those they see as being attacked....even if that may not necessarily be the case. When the shop assistant used that expression it probably never even crossed her mind that it was an inappropriate comment and I doubt she was using it in an offensive way....to her it was just a word.

I have been chronically ill for 20yrs now and have been called a hypochondriac, malingerer, drama queen, lazy (even by family) and some of the looks I get when I stay sitting in a chair and dont leap up to offer it to someone older than me are looks to kill....but none of those people know what is going on in my body and at the end of the day it is their small-mindedness and their problem, not mine....and I am not going to lower myself to their level by allowing it to get to me....

BUT I have had a long time to get to this position and Tiffany I really do feel for you coping with what you are at school. I got ill when I was first at school and was bullied for missing so much (the main problem being that I look absolutely 'normal'). My son, who is 13yrs old, is a type 1 diabetic and has taken a lot of bullying because of it....he is called 'diabetic dude' and has given up his favourite sport because he is too embarrassed to play. So I do know a little bit of what you are going through.

What you have got to remember it that those people who made those sick jokes to you are not worth worrying about and it just shows the sort of person that they are. You also dont know what is going on in their personal lives and often it is because they are struggling through something that they lash out at easy targets....and unfortunately they have found you.

You are not a bad person, you have something medically wrong with you and hopefully you are getting the help and support you need to deal with it. I love your attitude about the fact that more education is needed in schools about these sorts of things....especially mental health, which is all too often ignored and is such a hidden illness much of the time.

And remember Tiffany, no one can truly be classed as normal....there is no such thing. Everyone has there own struggles and deal with them in their own ways, just some have to fight harder than others and you definitely sound like a fighter to me. I would think that at some point in your life you could be an amazing support to kids that are going through what you have....and an amazing teacher to those who dont understand.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  08:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem Kellog (and I promise this is my last word on this) In my experience the vast majority of people don't mean to hurt/offend by what they say and I do understand the general reaction to PC as most peoples exposure to it is through a generally negative media. However the impact that these views can have is clearly seen through our young posters above. Therefore in a small "strange" community of snake lovers -; like ours it is worth pointing out that it is a good thing to think before you type !

Bigal

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  08:33:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, back on topic now please everyone

thanks all

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  11:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hatchling diesel was the only egg that survived our unexpected clutch last year.He had 4 hups/kinks on his back and also had to be force fed.Hes a year old now and although he is small for his age and is still force fed he is a lively wee character and his humps/kinks have dissapeared as he has stretched. when he had them they did affect his balance at times he would tilt onto his side bu apart from that he was fine.I just wont be considering him for breeding he will just be my wee underaverage sized diesel. Good luck I should mention that he did have them for about 8 months before they started to vanish

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: