Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:41:14  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats not a slight deformity,that a major spinal problem

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:49:20  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I never said what "that" was I answered your question.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

why would you buy one with a deformity in the first place or was it free?

I gather that Ammerz didn't realise at the time that the snake had a kink. I've seen photos of a lot worse - let's not frighten a new owner. I've read your second post re it being major, but maybe we could get a few opinions here - can this snake still feed ok and enjoy life - its innards sound to be in working order. I know I'm no expert but I'd want to keep it and give it a life - without sentimentality, mind.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  21:19:22  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:

why would you buy one with a deformity in the first place or was it free?

I gather that Ammerz didn't realise at the time that the snake had a kink.

what you can honestly say you would not notice this before you bought it

Not saying they shouldnt of bought it, just asking why when it is obvious,ok,if it was free and needed a home fair enough.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  21:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

I never said what "that" was I answered your question.
Tiffany-x

so in your opinion what would you call that.a minor deformity or a major one? not starting a arguement just asking your opinion and would you of bought it?

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  21:40:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think that looks pretty nasty, tbqh I dont understand how a snake can be living happily and comfortably like that. I wouldnt buy a snake with something so bad because of the fact that I really dont think I would feel comfortable with myself seeing as Im still very much a novice and even if I wasnt as I said before who knows if that snake isnt uncomfortable? So yeah, answered your question the long way, I wouldnt buy a snake if it was something that bad, if it was ever so slightly to the point that it was only just noticeable I probably would. And in case you were wondering (even though you probably werent) I think it must be uncomfortable cause imagine if that was a person? Surely there must be some discomfort even if it is very much minor.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  21:49:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that looks pretty nasty, tbqh I dont understand how a snake can be living happily and comfortably like that. I wouldnt buy a snake with something so bad because of the fact that I really dont think I would feel comfortable with myself seeing as Im still very much a novice and even if I wasnt as I said before who knows if that snake isnt uncomfortable? So yeah, answered your question the long way, I wouldnt buy a snake if it was something that bad, if it was ever so slightly to the point that it was only just noticeable I probably would. And in case you were wondering (even though you probably werent) I think it must be uncomfortable cause imagine if that was a person? Surely there must be some discomfort even if it is very much minor.
Tiffany-x

good answer and were all friends again lol

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  21:56:22  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is it? and do you have a record diary from the shop?

If it's been feeding, pooping and behaving fine I'd say it wasn't causing it any harm, depends how old it is though really.
Have you tried touching the kink? does he make any sudden movements as if to say 'OUCH!' ?

Lets face it dogs walk around with 1 eye and 3 legs and are still able to lead happy lives.

If im honest though, I proberbly wouldnt have brought a snake with a deformity like that, and from a shop who seems so careless

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  22:02:25  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tiffany-x

good answer and were all friends again lol

Although sometimes a majority of the time I sound as though I am completely talking out of my (very amazing) backside I am actually making sense to myself it just never comes out right. I know exactly what I mean and everything I am trying to say is always completely right (obv!) hehe. So yeah, in future if I sound like Im chatting sh-poop then just ask me and Ill explain what I really mean, because as mentioned before I am totally perfect (besides being a nut case) and I am always right!! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  22:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only just seen the pics of the snake, dunno how I missed them earlier. I think I posted then clicked off.

Anyway, have you got a reptile vet near you? Would recommend getting him/her looked at.

quote:

........my (very amazing) backside...........

Pics required as evidence please.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  22:08:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, one day in the not too distant future maybe! LMFAO. I have a very much juicylicious bottom Ill have you know (according to my friend)! ;)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  22:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No I didnt notice it in the shop and wouldnt have bought it had I, but unfortunatly I have become emotionally attached to him especially as he is a 'spacker' snake (Sorry for any offence, being ironic not serious).
It doesnt seem cause him any discomfort when i touch it or have a look at it. He moves fine and there was a full log of his feeds when i got him.
I am very disapoineted with the shop, it was a reptile shop rather than a pet shop or garden centre that sells reptiles so I had hoped they would be better... guess I was wrong.
I have made an appointment with the nearest reptile vets, so will get it checked out.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  22:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad you've got an appointment!
I wish you both all the best and hope he has a very happy life with you :)

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  23:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr behave yourself! lol.

Ah, poor little snakey. Although it does seem to be healthy, and seemingly happy. I would have bought it, perhaps, if I had felt emotionally ready. Actually no, I'd have tried to talk them in to giving it to me for free, as buying a disabled animal (snake or not) can be a very sad, tiring experience. Imagine buying a dog with a bent spine, taking care of it becomes a very delicate scenario and just because it's a snake doesn't make it any less delicate. But good on you Ammerz, you've done a very noble thing and I commend you for it =]

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  02:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sometimes snakes that require a bit more care due to special needs of any kind give you a much nicer feeling when they're looked after properly.
I myself have been after a specific type of corn for a loooong time that doesn't come up often, when I do then my collection will be complete. total lies, my collection will never be complete

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  09:01:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it does look like quite a substantial deformity, as the cause is unknown it should DEFINITELY NOT EVER be used for breeding
if it's an acquired deformity ie. as a result of an accident/illness/injury, and the snake is otherwise fit and healthy then it's not a real problem
if it's as a result of incubation temperature fluctuations, i'd be wary of other deformities that might not be visible but again, if it appears fit and healthy then that's ok
if it's a hereditary problem then potentially there will be other deformities that aren't visible ie. internally, and i'd monitor it very carefully

as there's no way of knowing which of the above applies i'd treat it very carefully, feeding smaller than usual prey items, definitely not cohabiting ever, definitely not breeding ever, and careful monitoring and recording of shedding and when it wees and poos and, if neccessary, seeking advice and proving specific speacial care to meet it's needs.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  09:24:41  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr are you on the prowl for the ultimate 'special' snake? As in the fabled stargazer?

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  14:45:55  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can sum 1 plz explain what stargazer means? I think i read sum were it's sum kind of brain damage is this rite?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  15:15:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tell the shop your going to get the papers/RSPCA/Trading standard or give them bad rep if you don't get at least half your money back. They should not be selling deformed snakes, no pet shop is allowed to willingly and knowingly sell deformed animals.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  00:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

Kehhlyr are you on the prowl for the ultimate 'special' snake? As in the fabled stargazer?

Might be.........

quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_24

can sum 1 plz explain what stargazer means? I think i read sum were it's sum kind of brain damage is this rite?

Stargaizing is still not deinitely known what is the cause, some believe neurological (brain damage) however the general consensus is a dodgy gene which causes a neurological issue that affect motor control and/or balance. Mostly they just charge around not knowing the right way up and they'll quite often be very useless at moving or preying on food items so would need monitoring.
They should never be allowed to breed due to the condition. It's very similar in some ways I suppose to cerebellar hypoplasia in cats.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000