Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  09:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a new baby corn and it has what looks like a bend in it. There is a lump along its spine and its stomach underneath bends along with the lump. As I'd only just bought him I took him back to the shop and they said it was just a birth deformaty and wouldnt corse a problem. They said I could swap it for another one, but after the girl behind the counter refered to it as a 'spacker' snake, i didnt have the heart to do it.

If any one knows whether this is a birth defect or not could you please let me know.

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  10:11:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It does sound like it. I think whether it could cause a problem or not would depend on the severity and where it is. If you could put up some pictures it will help the experts to offer you some advice. If it provides reassurance I have a 3yr old corn that has a deformity about 6inchs down from his head, its like a dint in his spine and his ribs have been pushed out to the side. It has no effect on his feeding at all although he is a bit temperamental if he choses to feed or not. The only problem it causes is when he sheds, it breaks at the point of his kink.nbAs i say tho, if you can provide pics it will give those much more knowledgable than me chance to give real advice.
I have to say tho, I'm not surprised you couldn't swap him after the callousness of that girls comment. She shouldnt be working with animals.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  11:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you could get a couple piccys of the snake where the lump/kink is clear then we may be able to help with suggestions as to if it may cause problems or not.
If the kink is that visible then I'd imagine that breeding in the future will be most definitely ruled out.
Not very good service to sell a snake and not inform of the kink at the time.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  12:08:31  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I have to say tho, I'm not surprised you couldn't swap him after the callousness of that girls comment. She shouldnt be working with animals.

she shouldn't be working at all, she sounds like a right nasty so and so.

Post some pics up and i'm sure someone can help. Does he move around ok and seem ok in himself?

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  12:18:26  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ammerz

I recently bought a new baby corn and it has what looks like a bend in it. There is a lump along its spine and its stomach underneath bends along with the lump. As I'd only just bought him I took him back to the shop and they said it was just a birth deformaty and wouldnt corse a problem. They said I could swap it for another one, but after the girl behind the counter refered to it as a 'spacker' snake, i didnt have the heart to do it.

If any one knows whether this is a birth defect or not could you please let me know.

First of all, I wouldve told that girl behind the counter where to shove herself. *is angry*
Secondly, My corn also had lumps (he had two) and I noticed them as soon as I started handling him.
I was told it was fat lumps which would kill him (a rep vet told me this, however I only phoned him I didnt go in to see him cus he was really far away)
I also read about it possibly being cysts (which in some cases can be removed), or broken bones
But my snakey is still alive and well a year on.
If you're worried you should take him to a vet, but you can't see the lumps on my snake anymore, and they didnt seem to bother him at the time either
Good luck and I hope your snakey does well

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  13:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They shouldn't really be selling animals with deformaties, usually they pose a feeding problem, although it does depend how severe it is. The problem really is, it has a deformed spine, which is usually either genetic, or to do with incubating temps, now, sometimes, the kink isn't the only deformaty, just you can't see the others, they are internal, maybe deformed heart, lungs, stomach, who knows.
One of my babies hatched with 3 quite severe kinks in his spine, he never ate and died the other day, but even if he did eat, and survived, I couldn't sell him, rehome maybe, but that shop shouldn't be selling deformed animals.

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  14:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is dreadful - both the selling of an animal with an obvious deformity (surely the shop was aware) without telling a buyer, and the staff attitude.

I'm no expert but I have read of snakes being born with 'kinks' and, while some are too severe to allow the snake to live, many snakes can have good quality of life with a little tlc, like kdlang's snake.

Sorry to hear about your baby, Mike. Was that 'Wonky'?

My local shop breeds corns, and when they hatched one with one eye, they brought her into the shop and told me ... Result, my Cy (my ex named her Cyclops.) Naturally this deformity was less complicated, and although her feeding routine is a little unorthodox, she's a good eater and a special snake.

I do hope your little one goes on okay and that you can get some reassurance from posting pics on here. Sounds like the snake has a good home with you now. All the best.

Edited by - BurnedAtTheStake on 14/09/2010 14:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  14:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't have been Wonky.
I hope it wasn't Wonky.
Wonky was the bestest snake ever!!!!!eleventy one!!1!

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  14:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good ... pity about the baby, of course, but glad it wasn't Wonky. Never seen pic of Wonky but like the sound of him. They get to be sort of special, the wonky ones.
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think anyone today still used such a hideous term as the one that came out of that shop assistant's mouth. I wonder if she refers to people that way too (very, very, VERY cross).

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  17:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

I didn't think anyone today still used such a hideous term as the one that came out of that shop assistant's mouth. I wonder if she refers to people that way too (very, very, VERY cross).

Oh well ... (shrugs) that's her problem, as a substandard human ...
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  18:36:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is terribly disgusting that people can still say things like that. I have a feeling kinks seem to be quite common? Ive heard a lot about them and depending where they are and how bad they are links to the severity, I THINK that kinks just in the tail arent so bad but obv still shouldnt be bred and obv ones higher up and more bent are worse because of the organs etc, but Ive seen a 2 places recently selling them, both of which just for a couple of quid. I think providing the kink isnt too bad the snake can so easily live a perfectly normal life so therefore I think can still be sold, if its clearly really bad then it shouldnt be sold in case its life is at risk because that is just a con and should be cared for by the breeder in my personal opinion. Please dont reply to me because this is MY personal opinion, Im not saying it is right but its the way I think it should be. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  18:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonky is still plodding along. Kinky snakes should be re homed, not sold, its not fair on people who dont know anything about it.
Kinks in the tail are just as bad as anywhere else, there is no telling what else might be wrong with the snake.

Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:02:08  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying to my post every one. Yeah she was very rude, but noting i can really do about it and i'm sure the snake would have been sold to some one else had i given it back.

Here are a couple of pictures of his kink and where it is on his body. its not too high up so hopefully there shouldnt be any internal problems right? And hes pooped since i got him which is a good sign.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

A friend of mine is a self confessed 'spacker' as he so politely puts it because he can't talk properly/walk very well and quite often will have accidents, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It all boils down to political correctness.

Are you aware of the charity called 'Scope'?? What were they called until political correctness went stupid?????
On a similar note, when you have a child getting upset because they've been called 'Challenged' then does it make the word spacker any worse??

I don't agree with the fact that she refered to it in front of a customer like that, but to whine about it?? Come on.
People who get offended about things most of the time have never had to deal with things like that and just do because they want to.

I wonder how many people used to stick their tongues into their lower lip when they were at school and make the noise that sounds like 'Der', yet now don't like the word spacker.

However if you would like to correct the shop assistant then you may inform them the a spacker was/is a medical term used to describe the way the skeletal muscles spasm uncontrollably. Which in itself is a form of upper motor neurone issues and even in types of cerebral palsy.

Anyone wanna complain when I mention that I need to retard the timing on my midget??

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

A friend of mine is a self confessed 'spacker' as he so politely puts it because he can't talk properly/walk very well and quite often will have accidents, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It all boils down to political correctness.

Are you aware of the charity called 'Scope'?? What were they called until political correctness went stupid?????
On a similar note, when you have a child getting upset because they've been called 'Challenged' then does it make the word spacker any worse??

I don't agree with the fact that she refered to it in front of a customer like that, but to whine about it?? Come on.
People who get offended about things most of the time have never had to deal with things like that and just do because they want to.

I wonder how many people used to stick their tongues into their lower lip when they were at school and make the noise that sounds like 'Der', yet now don't like the word spacker.

However if you would like to correct the shop assistant then you may inform them the a spacker was/is a medical term used to describe the way the skeletal muscles spasm uncontrollably. Which in itself is a form of upper motor neurone issues and even in types of cerebral palsy.

Anyone wanna complain when I mention that I need to retard the timing on my midget??

All right, Special K.

Cruel terms get used every day - to object to them is not to 'whine'.

I'm bipolar but most times I'll laugh if someone calls me a nutter. OK, I'm a nutter. But to call that particular snake by that term was, to my mind, offensive.

(And if the OP had exchanged it and left it to that shop assistant's tender mercies, what then?)

Flame me if you want - I don't give a damn.
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think people can complain about this, my cousin has downsyndrome and along with that has a heap of disabilities and I worked in a day centre and I do take great offence, because as far as Im concerned there shouldnt be any word to describe it seeing as people with disabilities just want to be seen as a person. I think if there is ever the NEED to talk about it it should be called a disability. I think it depends on how you see the situation but my little cousin has just turned 12 and people laugh at him and take the p*ss out of him to his face, its bad enough he struggles without being reminded all day that he has it. But like I said, some people see it in different ways, I just think they should be treated as normal as possible rather than pointing it out.

Its like my illness, although it is COMPLETELY different I might laugh about it to my friends but I dont want to think about it, ever. Its something Id like to forget forever, I dont think most people can understand the feeling but thats just my view.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seconded, Tiffany.

And in the meantime, can someone with the necessary expertise advise the OP on this snake's disability?

(Sorry about all this, Ammerz and again all the best with this snake!)
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:26:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
why would you buy one with a deformity in the first place or was it free?

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:31:46  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I would buy one with a slight deformity just in the hope that I could help it lead a normal happy life.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  19:38:10  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh that kink is rather big! nothing like mine was actually, Doyles were tiny in comparison so now he's grown you can't see them at all

I guess you just have to see how it goes, not sure if there's any treatment :S Maybe go to a rep vet if possible just to put yourself at ease

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000