Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  19:26:54  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, so for my extended project I need to think of a subject. I want it to be based on corn snakes, so I need a title, it must either be a question or a comparison (something v something). Anyone got any ideas about what it could be?
Tiffany-x

BTW its for tomorrow! :P

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  19:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's it for? What subject.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  19:39:58  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol, its an AS level, its just called the extended project, I basically have to write 5000-8000 words about whatever I want! :P Its amazing that I can do this, it will be sooo much fun! :D
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  19:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh ok, you could write about the habitat and lifestyle of a reptile and how it differs to most animals.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  19:52:47  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It just needs to be more specific but still extremely easy to write about, writing isnt very easy for me so it has to be something I can talk forever about. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha your AS essay (at 8000) is longer then my MA Dissertation (at 7000) thats brilliant.

how about something like Why are more people choosing to keep snakes as pets? or the comparison of keeping a snake to a hamster.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If I was to call it why keep a corn or something there abouts do you think that would be easy to write about? Im just concered about finding it difficult, but I can always change it if it doesnt work! :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
should be pretty easy to research online.
you know alot of the pros and cons through owning one. like, cheep to feed and only feed once a week, but having to be able to handle dead animals to do it.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:44:26  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh I dont know, Ill have to decide for tomorrow. Any further suggestions would be a great help though. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:51:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could do something totally on snakes like which is the best substrate to use and why? If you gave examples of all the different sorts people use then compare what you find and come to a conclusion. If you need to show you've done some research you could always ask us questions on here and print our answers. Worth a thought, lets face it you have the perfect people on here to help!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking of involving you guys as long as thats ok? :D
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tiffany! Right, that's between 10-15 pages. You can write ok. You could maybe incorporate the previous ideas about the corns' peaceable lifestyle in the wild and their attractiveness with a viewpoint on why corns make excellent pets ie size, temperament, silence, cleanliness ... maybe bring in the kind of debate that comes up on the forums every so often about regulations about keeping pets in rented/student accommodation and the prejudice against snakes and reptiles in general and how meaningless this is, when you consider that snakes don't bark, claw, wee or mess.

Another point to take into account is the incredible variety of morphs now being bred, and the fact that these are now domesticated animals - releasing them back into their native habitats would be to tamper with pure bloodlines, quite apart from the fact that these pet reptiles might not survive in the wild, having had room service all their lives ...

Hmmm... Corn Snakes, a 21st Century pet, maybe (this is just off top of my head, I'm sure someone can improve!)

Origins and lifestyle of the corn snake and its development as one of today's mainstream pets ...

If anyone's posted similar ideas while I've been writing this - sorry.

And, Tiffany, you can definitely write!

Ooops, edit - yes, of course snakes wee and mess but not like dogs and cats, wrecking soft furnishings or making a stink outdoors.

Edited by - BurnedAtTheStake on 09/09/2010 21:08:57
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:45:37  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes just mess and poo making a stink indoors and sometimes on the best sofa, carpet, outfit etc!!!!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wee...eelll ... yeah, true! But not like the Staffy pup in the yard next to me ...eww! (To say nothing of when they kick it out to scream.) Or the reek of my tomcat (retired) when he's used the bathroom tray ... aagh, where's the joss sticks!

Edited by - BurnedAtTheStake on 09/09/2010 21:53:50
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When i was offered the chance to do an extended project (for more UCAS points) I was told it had to be something like American politics during the 1970's, or some major issue within the education system o.O ..... So I said no.

Why couldnt I do corn snakes T_T !!

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww, as always the wonderful BATS is helpful! :P Thanks you guys, Im sure your ideas will help me greatly! :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lizzyd
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just write 8000 words on why snakes are great. Its easy when you are so into them. Once you have done that , read it and choose a title based on what you have written. "Why snakes are great" for example.

1.1.0 Classic corns
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Cat
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  10:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We always advise our students to put the title in the form of a question so that's it's easier to focus on what it's actually about.

Why not try:

'Why are corn snakes becoming increasingly popular for modern pet owners?'

'What advances have been made in the selective breeding of corn snakes and what designer morphs have been created recently?'

'Which species of pet snake is the best for new and inexperienced keepers? Corn snake, King snake or Royal Python?'

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  13:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again - a couple more ideas:

Arguments for snake keeping today: cats and dogs are high-maintenance in terms of time and attention; it may be dangerous for a woman owner to walk her dog alone, and if an owner works or studies full time, as most do, these are not suitable pets.

Fashion: The 21st century stereotype: a young cool flat-dweller, working full time and living in a studio pad with the usual TV, music system, computer etc; everything very Ikea. But this young cool etc etc still wants to commune with nature, take a walk on the wild side, in fact. Therefore, in the streamlined studio pad, there is a streamlined viv, and in the viv there is a corn snake. Placid, easy to care for compared to many other types of snake, will not grow too large, but still ... cool pet. (And can be chosen from a huge number of glamorous and breathtaking morphs.)

Footnote: The cool young owner gets very attached to their cool pet and abandons cool social life for the pleasures of evenings in with Sid, Fluffy or Priscilla, and gabbing about them on the TCS ...

Extra footnote: Note that this image is far removed from previous stereotypes of snake owners, as being creepy stalker/serial killer, or sweaty nerd with collection of snuff movies, a pair of snarling dogs with spiked collars, and an attitude ...

Any good??

Edited by - BurnedAtTheStake on 10/09/2010 13:51:40
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  14:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, wouldn't that be an idea for a title:

'A walk on the wild side: why people keep snakes in the 21st century'

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  14:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would do it on the ethics of keeping snakes. I find ethics an easy topic to write about as its not too hard to argue each way and therefore allows you to talk about both sides. You can also then end it with your own opinions, which should also up the word count.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000