Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  14:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really pleased with my new snake. I got her with 2 plastic tanks 1x small to feed in and 1x large. A granite watr bowl and a hiding thing! and a heat matt. Also got her feeding and shedding records from birth (31st May 2010). If anyone has any tips for me please le me know.

Cheers.

Dan Rodziewicz - Stoke on Trent

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  15:04:56  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Leave her to settle for a week before you handle her. Just change her water and check the substrate each day.
Also have a look on our caresheet, via the homepage. It's full of info.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  16:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your new snake, my corn snake, Ruby, was born on 5th July.

Welcome to the forum there is loads to learn from here.

http://meandmycornsnake.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  22:05:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

quote:
Originally posted by danielrodziewicz

If anyone has any tips for me please le me know.

invest in another hide and a themostat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  22:29:03  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome! Great news about your new snake :)

Just a bit of warning, I brought a plastic home and of course a heat mat . The mat burnt straight through the plastic within 2 or so days, even though the pet shop said it would be safe. Luckily my fella didnt get hurt!

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  14:03:53  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow really? iv got all 3 snakes in RUBs and never had that problem, did u have a thermostat to control the heatmat and stop it over heating?

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  21:33:01  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No I hadnt got the entire set up yet, I just had the heat mat in and some substrate to see if it would be okay for when I got him. I took it back to the store and they gave me loads of free things though!

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.. thanks for the replys.. time has now gone on and i have now got her a 4 ft wooden viv with built in lights ( uv strip and red heat bulb.) I have purchases a heatmat covering 1/3 of the viv. Do i need the heat lamp? and should i just run a UVB strip for aesthetic reasons.?

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
firstly there is debate about UV bulbs, some say snakes can see the flikcering of them (which the human eye cant see) and damage their eyes, others say it helps their skin colours to be more vibrant, others for aesthetic reasons or to see,
you have to read through many poeples opnions and make your own mind up on it,

if you do decided to keep the UVB bulb, make sure it is a maximum of 2.0% UVB,

in my set up, i have one, and leave it running for th day and then turn off at night, to give a day/ night routine, and as someone advised me, avoid turning it on at night to check her as this disrupts the day/night thing.

you should have thermostat at the warm end and one at the cold end,
the warm end should read no more than 85 farenheit and the cold end no cooler than 70 farenheit,

if you hve these readings, then a heat lamp is not needed

also make sure the heat mat is secured to the bottom of your wooden viv and take care if you use any form of tape to keep it down as the edges can roll up and your corn sticking to it,

please make sure you use a thermostat where the probe and the thermometre probe are together, and also have another thermometre n the cooler end to monitor temperatures

here is the link to the care sheet for your corn
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:39:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

firstly there is debate about UV bulbs, some say snakes can see the flikcering of them (which the human eye cant see) and damage their eyes, others say it helps their skin colours to be more vibrant, others for aesthetic reasons or to see,
you have to read through many poeples opnions and make your own mind up on it,

if you do decided to keep the UVB bulb, make sure it is a maximum of 2.0% UVB,

in my set up, i have one, and leave it running for th day and then turn off at night, to give a day/ night routine, and as someone advised me, avoid turning it on at night to check her as this disrupts the day/night thing.

you should have thermostat at the warm end and one at the cold end,
the warm end should read no more than 85 farenheit and the cold end no cooler than 70 farenheit,

if you hve these readings, then a heat lamp is not needed

also make sure the heat mat is secured to the bottom of your wooden viv and take care if you use any form of tape to keep it down as the edges can roll up and your corn sticking to it,please make sure you use a thermostat where the probe and the thermometre probe are together, and also have another thermometre n the cooler end to monitor temperatures

here is the link to the care sheet for your corn
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

DO Not Use Tape In The Viv. No matter how careful you are the snake sliding along it could cause it to lift. Plus the heat could lift it. Snakes have died after becoming entangled in sticky tape so it must not be anywhere near a snake

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i havent taped my matt down.. but can u pls advise on the following.. my viv is 4 ft. my snake is 1 1/2 ft long.. i have provided lots of hiding and burrowing places for her and with the heat mat on it only gets to about 70oC and 30/31 with the bulb and matt on. I know the viv is too big for her but im stuck with it now so i will be getting more folige etc tomorrow for her.. any tips for me as i am now worried about her not regulating her temp properly if the viv is too big

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where and how are you measuring the temps?

A heat mat will get very hot so getting the right temp should not be a problem. You need the digital thermometer probe and the thermostat probe resting on the heatmat.
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont have a digital.. its a plastic one with a needle.. im getting a thermostat tomorrow. my temp guage is at floor level in the middle of the heat mat directly under the bulb. when i turn the bulb off the guage reads abot 70 -75 in the hot end.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:10:08  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's ok, I wasn't implying you had stuck it down with tape, It was just advice to everyone reading centricmaltesers post.

You could get a piece of mdf cut to section off a smaller area of the viv and then just move it as your snake grows.
How are you regulating and monitoring temperatures? What size heatmat are you using?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, right, you really should not have the heatmat on without a thermostat. Your snake could get badly burnt. The dial thermometer you have is no good. The heat mat is probably up to 40c at least without a stat.

I dont have any experience with lamps so dont know what to suggest with that again as you have no stat for it or digital thermometer.

I think the advice is going to be turn off the mat and bulb until you get a thermostat attached.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The dial thermometers are pretty useless. You can get digital ones relly cheap off ebay. I use these ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH-/230589228021?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item35b03063f5

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow.. i have had a heat mat without a stat in her smaller tank since may with no problems.. ill buy a thermostat for the matt tomorrow 1st thing and i have turned off the bulb. i feel awful that i may have hurt her. the shop i got all the stuff from never said any of this other than the setup was right.. tomorrow when i have got the bits i need can i email yall to have a look at my snake and setup so that i can see if i have it right as i am now really worried that i might put jaffa at risk

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kdlang, I didnt say to use tape, I said IF you decide to BE CAREFUL

I don't use time as I mentioned in another post, I've used Geocel Aquarium sealant to keep mine down, works a treat and is NOT toxic to any reptiles.

and i have the exact thermometre you posted the link for ebay

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

It's ok, I wasn't implying you had stuck it down with tape, It was just advice to everyone reading centricmaltesers post.

You could get a piece of mdf cut to section off a smaller area of the viv and then just move it as your snake grows.
How are you regulating and monitoring temperatures? What size heatmat are you using?

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and after playing around when I intially set up my viv, my thermostat goes off as soon as it hits 85.1F
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another instance of a petshop not giving correct information, sorry daniel, there is a post about petshops not looking after their live stock or giving information correctly lol

quote:
Originally posted by danielrodziewicz

wow.. i have had a heat mat without a stat in her smaller tank since may with no problems.. ill buy a thermostat for the matt tomorrow 1st thing and i have turned off the bulb. i feel awful that i may have hurt her. the shop i got all the stuff from never said any of this other than the setup was right.. tomorrow when i have got the bits i need can i email yall to have a look at my snake and setup so that i can see if i have it right as i am now really worried that i might put jaffa at risk

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000