Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  13:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I dont know how many people are aware of this but this month Lush are running a promotion against the keeping of reptiles. Using lies and outdated facts to try to ban reptiles as pets.

http://www.lush.co.uk/

As you will see this is a direct assault on our hobby and our pets & is not on! i would point anyone interested to this thread for lots more info.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/general-herp-chat/561432-protests-against-lush-apa-chameleon.html
(sorry for linking to another forum but i feel this is a necessary evil)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  13:58:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if there's a good reason for linking to the dark side it's usually ok

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  14:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've read about this. Lush's claims seem to be a load of gobbledygook (I could use a ruder word but I won't!)
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  15:54:16  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OH DEAR! 'which causes unnecessary deaths every year' yes this is due to people who think its cool to have a reptile do no research and wonder why it will die, take my case for example when i got a phone call at work

hello, yeah um my snake has died
right ok...
i wondered what caused its death
was it eating?
no it didnt like the crickets and locus.....

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  15:55:46  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in fact i might email them its got me so angry...

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emails seem to be getting an automated response but go ahead the more the merrier just remember to keep it civil we dont wanna be mad out to be the bad guys. Many people have complained to the Advertising standards agency over it and it seems that we have a case against them. there is also a leaflet being designed with the facts on to counter the lies in the videos and leaflets. there are many threads on the dark side about it. there has been the chief of the federation of british herpetologists to say that it is nonsense on the radio about it.
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what shall i put, i keep a snake and tortoise and they seem perfectly happy

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the are aiming it at wild caught animals for pet trade, I haven't watched the vid yet though. They are idiots though, trying to jump onto the mild hippy band wagon. They will never be able to get stop wild caught animals and specially they will never be able to to do anything about trading captive bred.

Personally, I think it's bad that they are trying to earn money themselves from this stupid event. Although the soap is pretty cool but you don't need a dumb event to sell soap like that.

How come there always campaigns to stop reptile keeping when there's stupid people in the world but never dogs and cats?

I may have to go into town and pay them a visit :3

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:42:33  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
surely they could of done some more research on the pros and cons before launching a campaign like this, for example the hogg island boa is thought to have dissapeared in the wild but can be found in captive surely this is a good thing? could be wrong with this 1 but isn't it the same for the axalotl?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their ultimate aim is to stop all pets. put they are not just targeting WC but saying that CB is cruel because these are wild animals and cannot be cared for properly as a pet. They are using "facts" that are totally false like "90% of all reptiles die in the first year" & "there is little or no information on how to keep reptiles as pets" the APA spokesman even compared it to child abuse!

Staple if you do go to a store, dont go in guns blazing, theres a leaflet you can download and print if you wish to hand it out.
Make sure that you act responsible and be safe, im sure there are some extreamists who wouldnt think twice about hurting someone.

Edited by - n/a on 13/08/2010 16:50:42
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:48:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_24

surely they could of done some more research on the pros and cons before launching a campaign like this, for example the hogg island boa is thought to have dissapeared in the wild but can be found in captive surely this is a good thing? could be wrong with this 1 but isn't it the same for the axalotl?

Especially since the extrememly high majority of Hogg Island Boas which you find in captivity are captive bred. Its not as if its the reptile keepers that are destroying their natural habitats now is it?

I don't know much about Axolotl, but i think Lewy and Kazarella have some or atleast have in the past.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 13/08/2010 16:49:25
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  17:26:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I darn't go outside a store on my own, there are some crazy nuts out their that could give me a good punch. I also suppose it would be better if normal looking people handed out leaflets rather than the typical image of a reptile keeper :p

Just read about them wanting to stop with CB. I wonder if they consider zoos wrong too for keeping reptiles safe in massive enclosure's :/ I hate to think what they would do with all the CB of they got their own way. "Realise them into the wild" probably would be their thought so that most of them can die :/

I really can't believe how stupid people are these days.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  18:12:11  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In that case if you need to go to the rep shop for anything just make sure you go with your boy friend or dad. Im not too bothered because when ever my mum or brother go im normly with them.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  19:53:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG!!!! I'm an unlicensed illegal cornsnake breeder contributing to their extinction!!!!!

Bad me!!! :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  19:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Anti Lush facebook group, if any one is interested in joining.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146629878689955

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  20:29:06  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
joining now

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  20:44:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

In that case if you need to go to the rep shop for anything just make sure you go with your boy friend or dad. Im not too bothered because when ever my mum or brother go im normly with them.

Why? Are their nut jobs out side of them? The rep shop I go to is no-where near the LUSH shop thank god.

I think it's disgusting how un-informed people are. Whats worse it's children that are being targeted...

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Why? Are their nut jobs out side of them? The rep shop I go to is no-where near the LUSH shop thank god.

I think it's disgusting how un-informed people are. Whats worse it's children that are being targeted...

I thought you were referring to a rep shop in this statement

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I darn't go outside a store on my own, there are some crazy nuts out their that could give me a good punch. I also suppose it would be better if normal looking people handed out leaflets rather than the typical image of a reptile keeper :p

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  20:58:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh I ment the LUSH one sorry.

Apprently the event has ended now. I hope the kids don;t take to heart what they have been told.

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  21:10:28  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
look like this forums is now full of criminals.............

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  04:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am so glad you brought this up on here Dykie, I hadnt heard anything about it and it is something we should all know about. What really p****s me off is that at the end of the day all they really care about is selling their soap and their profit margin....they have just got a gimmick to do so, which is why they are being so loose with their facts. You are also very right in pointing out that if anyone does do something about this, be it by email or visiting a store, they need to do it responsibly, respectfully and armed with information to back up their knowledge....dont be like them!

Yes, some of what they say is worrying and right....although I am not 100% sure about the statistics. Like the amount of animals that die in transit and are just put down as 'expected losses' by dealers and I do agree, up to a point, with their stance against WC reptiles.

But this comment - 'Breeding reptiles in captivity for the pet trade causes suffering on a huge scale. According to APA, many commercial reptile-breeding operations in the UK routinely operate outside of the law, are unlicensed and un-inspected, and conditions are invariably inhumane'.....just made me sad , cos although we have some very respected and caring breeders and owners on this site, we all know that there are breeders, shops and owners out there that will only go to prove what LUSH is saying.

Of course there is reliable info avaible, for the responsible owner who looks for it!! Again, I do agree that there is misleading and contradictory info out there....but all you have to do is find us and any of our other forums to prove that what they say is wrong about 'good quality information is largely inaccessible to the general public.'

We all know that some pet shops should be banned from keeping reps, so again LUSH can find proof to support its campaign. A question though....have any of you who keep your snakes in glass or plastic fauns/vivs had to take them to a plastic surgeon to repair facial injuries caused by them bumping into the glass ! What an idiotic statement....what do they think the snake uses their senses for except to work out what their surrounding are !

The video made me cringe....'if you are thinking of buying a reptile make sure its a chameleon, available from all LUSH stores throughout August'....what blatant use of certain footage just to advertise soap....and backed by the APA!!! The footage, as far as I could see, was mainly from overseas and at rep shows so of course it doesnt show the normal keeping of reps !

What is sad is that I do actually respect what APA are doing in trying to ban the sale of WC animals, which I dont agree with - 'Perhaps unbelievably, it is still legal in Britain to sell wild animals captured from other countries. The majority of wild-trapped animals die from the stress and disease that is associated with every stage of their harrowing journey. Next to habitat destruction, collection of animals for the pet trade is the main reason for the decline in many species. Attempts to regulate and control the trade have globally failed. The problem is getting worse, and time is running out!'....although I do agree with the comments made about how certain species would be extinct if they hadnt been WC and then bred in captivity. I am just saddened that they have backed a campaign such as LUSH's, whose facts are so far off the mark and whose motives are questionable .

Rant over ....(everyone breathes a sigh of relief)

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000