best way of introducing dogs and snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  23:21:06  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i own a large mastiff x great dane and i am getting acouple of corn snakes swn and i was wondering what was the best way of introducing them 2gether as they will be in the same room at all times as i live in a bedsit.
the dog (oscar) is 6 months old so i think thtat he will just be inquizative but i rather know exactly what to do to save problems between them as they will have to co-inhabit the flat

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  00:38:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to be honest i wouldn't bother trying to introduce them to each other. My dog dosn't pay any attention to my snakes, she just knows she can't lay on my bed when they are lol.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  00:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  07:39:32  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow that is a big dog in a bedsit, bet u fall over him all the time lol. I have had a variety of foster dogs since having the snakes and to be honest none of them have really been bothered about the snakes while they are in the vivs. My latest pup once tried to jump up when Izzy was down the back of my top but that was just inquisitiveness. I wouldn't try introducing them nose to nose or encourage the dog to come to the snakes as this will just peak his interest in them. I can imagine with a dog of that size you discourage jumping up anyway. Have a good off and leave command in place before you get the snakes and try to only handle them when your pup is asleep or calm. Hope that helps

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  09:00:47  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my dog just stares at them in disgust then trys to be cute for attention haha

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  11:14:22  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanx kd, yea i do discourage jumping up, and theres 2 commands that i use and they are simple but effective: enough and go lie down they see to work in all occassions, thanx to everyone else aswell.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  06:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with Kd. I got a new dog a few months ago and wasnt sure how she would react to the snakes. I didnt introduce them, but she soon learnt that when I was handling the snakes then she was to 'leave' and I wouldnt give her any attention....then afterwards I always give her lots of love.

You do need to be careful as although my dog seems to ignore the snakes I wouldnt trust her 100% and am always totally aware of where she is with regard to whichever snake I have out.

And I echo the comment - a large mastiff x great dane in a bedsit !! It must wag its tail and send things flying !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  07:05:06  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some times yea things do go flying, but i love him all the same and wouldnt change it for the world, hence my username lol oh and just incase ur wondering, the 1988 is my yr of birth
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  10:44:47  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest buying a harness for your snake. You cant be too careful. I wouldnt want to see harm come to your dogs, Especially when your not there. Imagine coming home to see your dogs are gone and then you look at your snake only to find the shape of the grt dane in its gut.....not good.

harness is definatly needed pal!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000