6 corn hatchlings just wont eat..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, i have 6 hatchlings that have no interest in eating, we have tried braining and warming the pinkie up, and chopping the pinkie in bits, and leaving a pinkie in with them over night but still no interest.
The temps are all fine. These guys were born between the 14/07/10 - 17/07/10. Is this a reason for concern that they have not eaten yet? The other 10 have took no probs

They have all had a shed and have pooed.

Any other tips to get these six going would be great or will they be fine to leave a bit longer without food?

Thanks

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some babies just don't eat, in the wild they would die.
you can get them going by force feeding if you wish, sadly, this is normal.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:22:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My babies didn't eat for 4 months some of them, I think soeone said n here that there's didn't eat for 8 months.

I know this might sound stupid, but have you put them in a dark room which no-one will go in with no hide or anything, just mouse overnight?

Have you also tried taking them on a short car ride? I was amazed when I found out this really worked.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:19:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you say your temps are fine but what are they?

how are the hatchies housed, are they all in or individually?

Sta~ple's ideas are good, you could also try scenting with various things but try to keep handling and stress to a bare minimum.

i'd not be worried at this point, give it a couple of months before trying anything drastic

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the temps are 80oc and the cool end is around 35oc roughly, they are all house individully in tubs from the time they have hatched, the other 10 have took no probs so i know the temps are fine on the strip mat, which has a stat to control the temps. They do not get handled often, unless i need to change them.
They had a car ride last week when i took them to get checked at local exotic reptile shop to see what sex they were, that did not work either. They are kept in my reptile room and we only go in at night once to check on them and the other snakes to make sure that all the snakes are fine.

Thanks

Thaks for the advice :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  11:00:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denise

Yeah the temps are 80oc and the cool end is around 35oc...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  11:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops i have put the temps in wrong, god i would be cooking them at that lol sorry guys in advance its suppose to be 80of hot end and cool end 35of again sorry for the typo i just look back and seen i put a error

Edited by - n/a on 10/08/2010 11:30:33
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  13:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
35f is waaaaay too cold for a cool end, I don't work in degrees f but I know that 90 odd is 30c, and your on less than that, and half that agin, which means your cold end is below 15c, that's not good. Cold ends wanna be around 24 or 25c ideally, otherwise the snake cannot thermo regulate properly.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  14:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shall correct myself again, 35f is 1.6 degrees C!!! I suggest you check your thermometers, doesn't sound right to me, either that or there is your answer!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  15:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a look at the room thermometer and its not reading right, so just put a new one in and its reading at 25.3oc, which would be around 77f ish so i assume that will be the cool end for the corns? and checked my stat and that is sitting at 30oc at the moment. The heat mat cover just around half of the tub.

Edited by - n/a on 10/08/2010 16:00:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  12:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got every thing back to the temps they should be. They are now all sitting at warm end 28c cool end 24c. So i should be able to see if that makes a difference now.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  11:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, might be an idea also to move the tubs so they are only 1/3rd covered by the heatmat, 1/2 is a bit too much.

Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  18:43:41  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have two hatchies that aren't eating either, but it's only been a week and a bit, so I ain't panicking yet lol, but I was curious when you mentioned a car ride? How does that make a difference? Never heard of that one before! :) x
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  16:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its something to do with the vibrations of the car stimulating the stomach juices

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000