Amazonia reptile world
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:47:26  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here live in or near to great Yarmouth? On the seafront next to the sea life centre is a reptile centre, you pay an extortionate fee to get in and wander round a few vivariums and a couple of ponds with an alligator and a few turtles in them. I went when I was on holiday about five or six years ago, and it was small but seemed relatively professional. As a kid I had no idea how bad the standards were. I returned last week, again on holiday, and I was horrified. The vivariums are filthy, small, filled with bits of shed skin and faeces. The insects and spiders are missing legs, a monitor was trying to escape his viv because it was obviously far too hot, all the corns, rat and king snakes were submerged in water to escape the heat, there was a blue to hue skink with only one foot left, and even that was missing toes. There was a hatchling Burmese python in with a fully grown argentine boa, and the so-called "zookeeper" didn't even know it was an argentine. In the largest viv were three pythons, two Burmese and one Indian. All three were trying to find a way out because of the heat and the largest one clearly had a respiratory infection. I've never seen such poor standards anywhere. It's disgusting, the amount of money this place takes is huge, yet clearly none of it goes towards the welfare of these animals. If any of you live nearby, go and have a look for yourself.
I know I should contact the RSPCA but would anything get done about it?

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would write down exactly what you saw and yes I would report it to the RSPCA. For all you know they may have already have had complaints and hearing another complaint may help to confirm what's going on. Even if the RSPCA don't seem to do anything, it is important that you report it and don't turn a blind eye to these poor animals plight. Also I would encourage your friends/family eyc. NOT to visit the site,even if just to see how bad the conditions are. Sometimes the best way to vote is with your feet. You could also write a letter to the place explaining your concerns with the care of the animals, perhaps they just need a helping hand :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

I would write down exactly what you saw and yes I would report it to the RSPCA. For all you know they may have already have had complaints and hearing another complaint may help to confirm what's going on. Even if the RSPCA don't seem to do anything, it is important that you report it and don't turn a blind eye to these poor animals plight. Also I would encourage your friends/family eyc. NOT to visit the site,even if just to see how bad the conditions are. Sometimes the best way to vote is with your feet. You could also write a letter to the place explaining your concerns with the care of the animals, perhaps they just need a helping hand :)

zan x

Seconded. That is GROSS.

I have had mixed experience of the RSPCA and so have friends - in fact someone even labelled it the Reluctant Society. However the last time I had to contact them, re a rabbit abandoned by neighbours, they were admirably prompt (perhaps because he was in good condition, we had all been looking after him, and he was rehomable.)

Possibly the fact that this 'establishment' is public might carry some weight - the RSPCA might not want to be seen to be falling down on their job?

I thought these places had to have frequent checks?

That is horrible, heartbreaking.

Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:59:00  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
:( keep us updated of progress.

Surely Public zoo's etc have to have thorough regular checks? If not, why not?!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh dear

if it was an Argy it should have CITES paperwork proving it's CB and be microchipped for identification purposes.......bet the keeper doesn't know that either.......*whistles*

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/08/2010 10:08:31
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  12:06:43  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He said it was a rescue from the RSPCA, and I was just like, how can you not know that its an endangered boa?!?!?!

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000