heating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  03:27:53  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just wondering what type of heater is best, ceramic bulb which is what zoo`s use, heat mat or heat tape

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  04:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
depends on the Animal.
Seeing as this thread was just dumped into the general section then it could be for anything.

I have large bulbs and shields (12 inch diameter) 150w bulb for my iguana.
medium ones (10 inch in diameter) 150w bulb for the male boa.
smaller ones (6 inch diameter) 100w bulb for the adult beardies.
medium ones (8 inch diameter) 100w bulb for the baby beardies.
the female boa is on a heat mat.
all 3 of my kings snakes are on heatmats.
My corn is on a heatmat.
My plated is on a 100w reflector bulb with no shield.
The Newts are unheated and only lit when I remember to turn the lamp on.
The Leos are heated from below via a heat mat.
the GALS are unheated, but get some heat from the proximaty to other heated vivs.
The dog is able to thermoregulate it's own temperature on the kitchen floor.
I use a couple of blankets. (yes, some people do use them still)
Our house is heat regulated by a 7 year old gas combination boiler, but I tend to find that at night if I'm sleeping naked then I do need a blanket.
We do also have a heating system in the lounge that runs independantly from the rest of the heating system that we use to keep the homosapiens warm.
This heating system consists of a large hole in one wall which is surrounded by a custom built purbeck stone mantle and grating. Inside this large hole we stick bits of trees and compressed dead dinosaurs which burn and let off heat.
Any smoke from this heating system goes up a long tube like device to the outside and top of the house where it comes out without choking us.

However if you wanted more specific info then please try to be more specific about the question or do a search.

I hope this helps.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  04:14:16  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oops yea sorry, still getting used to the site, i mean for a corn snake vivarium, as i want the snakes to be comfortable and simulate there natural habitat in the wild with the exeption that they will be handelled, it will be the final viv that will be placed in, they are gonna be put into faunariums while i get and accessorise a viv exotic ax36 gradually and over time
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  04:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
difference of opinion this one.
I personally use mats, but bulbs can be used as well so long as both are correctly stat'd and a bulb is guarded as well then it doesn't really matter.

Small bit of info/discussion about them here: http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=859&page=1

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  04:54:45  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh okm the reason why i out the vivarium that i wil be getting down is so thatu could look it up as its a high type vivarium for a higher climbing frame and better view of the snake climbing as like i said in other posts/threads i really dont know wots best
Go to Top of Page

reggie_69
Egg

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  12:02:11  Show Profile  Click to see reggie_69's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
like kehhlyr said its choice here, i have my two corns in vivs with bulbs (guarded obviously) with a thermostat and there checked a good 4-5 times a day to make sure temp is staying correct, but a heat mat will work just as good obviously!
with a the sort of vivarium you want maybe a light would work well!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000