first time breeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  14:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right i have decided to move my reptile keeping to the next stage and have a go at breeding corns next year ....

I have just bought two rubs (50ltr) to put the breeding pair into and put under the stairs for the winter to start the process off as there are no lights under there.... as i have only used glass vivs with a ceramic bulb i have never used a heat mat only for my spiders ..... would i put the mat under the rubs or on the side as i have seen rub racks with the mat under the rub ? also how many holes do i need to drill in the rub and what size should they be ?

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  09:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends what rubs you are using, if they are proper rubs you dont need any air holes, the lids are well ventilated as it is.
Heat wise, you need to have a mat statted under one end, but you have to be careful, you cant just take them straight off heat, you need to drop the heat down gradually over a few weeks. You also need to make sure that their last meal is properly digested, otherwise its goes off in their stomach.
Once their heat is down, ideally they still need natural light, its called a light cycle, and is also important.
As a down temp, i go down to about 17 degrees, that seems to keep most of my lot happy, and i havent had any breeding issues this year.
Its a good idea to have a search about on here, there is a lot of info on hibernation and breeding, for me to put it all here would end up with a small book in itself.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  11:54:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My RUB didn't have any ventilation on the lid, so you may have to drill a few air holes in.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  14:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tips i will leave them in my room so they get the light,

also with the heat mats do i put the heat sensor ontop of the mat and not inside the rub and just put a good temp gauge in the rub to get the right temp ? As with ceramics the heat probe is in the tank but i have seen mats with the probe stuck down on top of the mat and not inside the rub
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  14:06:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have mine inside the RUB touching the floor with the mat outside, but either way would be fine as long as you were measuring the heat from inside.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  22:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right im having doubts about the size of the rub , will a 50ltr be ok for an adult corn?
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  22:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50 litre rubs are fine for adult corns

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: