New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  23:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there,

I'm new here, I decided to make an account because one of my Snakes has had a very sudden reversal in personality over the past few days.

As a bit of background, I have two Corn Snakes: A 4 year old male and a 3 year old female. I've had them both since they were hatched and they've always been housed together with no problems.

I've recently become concerned about my male, though. For his whole life to date he's been very docile, well-tempered, doesn't mind being handled, eats well. He's never had any issues. The female is a little less calm, but there have never been any issues between them that I've seen.

Over the last 2 or 3 days, however, his behaviour has changed drastically. He has started attempting to mate frequently with my female, for one thing. She seems entirely disinterested and attempts to get away, but he bites her and won't let go until he's had his way, if you will. During this he will also rattle his tail, a lot.

They will basically churn up the viv in this process, substrate will fill the water bowl, the hides will be turned over, and a cream-coloured substance which I've not seen before (and therefore don't want to take a guess at what it may be despite suspicions) has been found spread up the walls and on the hides and whatnot. We're having to clean out the tank more than once a day after this, which I understand can't be doing them much good.

(I should note at this point that they have successfuly mated in the past with no such issues.)

He's also become very jumpy around me and has reared to strike once or twice. I always feed him outside of the viv and make sure I wash my hands before handling him to ensure he doesn't pick up the smell on me and associate my hand with food, so I don't think it's that, but... I can't tell what else it could be.

He's still eating fine though, which is a plus.

Does anyone know what might be going on with him? I had considered it to be something to do with mating, but as I mentioned before, he'snever acted like this in the past, inside or outside of mating season.

I'm starting to get worried. :(

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  11:02:54  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My suggestion would be separate them now. I can't say what's wrong with him, but his behaviour will stress her out (by the sounds of it, already is), and that will make her ill. Plus if she does get gravid, it could lead to bigger problems if she's stressed.

I know the post is about your boy, but it will affect the girl too.

What is your set up/temperatures/feeding rota etc?

(Just a heads up, the issue of co-habiting is a hot topic on here. Some of us sit on the fence when it comes to same sex co-habiting, but there are so many issues that come with M/F cohabiting that it's generally discouraged.)

Hope he calms down soon.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  12:12:26  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto I am with Mouse on this one I think your priority should be to seperate them asap as your boys affections will be stressing out the female.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  16:55:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ditto on the separation, for both of the snakes sakes. He could end up killing her through stress if you don't. I have never heard of snakes biting when mating though...

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=1 I suggest you read.

What do you mean by mating in the past? How old was she? Are you trying to breed them?

I'm surprised there had been no hoard here.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  17:25:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maybe the cause of the behaviour is purely because there is another snake trying to take his 'best spots'. The most likely cause is the cohabbing so if you seperate them as soon as he should return to some sort of normality unless there is an underlying medical problem. If it is something medical, they will need seperating so not to contaminate one another.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000