Frustrating feeding issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  20:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, so the last time Ruby ate was the 12th of June. She went off her food after that, shed on the 1st of July and still hasn't eaten. I'm pretty sure she's hungry as today, along with the last three or four times I've tried to feed her, she strikes at the mouse but doesn't eat it. Instead, she just puts her head next to it and stays like that. If I try to take the mouse away, however, she strikes at me. I've tried leaving it with her overnight, heating it up and putting it in a small box with a hole for her to crawl into, pretty much everything we can think of. She only ever takes it when it's being wiggled around in front of her, then just lets go and starts guarding it. I know they can go ages without food, but I'm still a bit concerned as she usually eats like a champ. Thanks x

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  09:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one has any suggestions? At all? Not trying to cause a fuss, we're just getting quite worried and we have no idea what else to try.

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  09:56:43  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What size mouse are you trying her on?

Maybe try one smaller.

Gobo did this for a while, but has had somethign stuck in his nose, and couldn'y open his mouth enough I'm guessing.

If no-one knows on here, I'd watch her for another week and if no improvement, take her to the vet.

Is the inside of her mouth a nice pink colour, or quite dark??

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  10:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her behaviour hasn't changed at all, inside of her mouth is a good healthy pink and we've gone over her several times to make sure she didn't have any retained shed or any other problems. She's still on pinks and I've got them bagged up by size; We've tried the smallest of the small, the largest of the large and everything in between but she does the same thing each time. We've tried braining them, cutting them open a bit (unpleasant!), heating them up and leaving them in the feeding box so the scent is stronger, feeding her outside the box/viv. We once even tried distracting her with a second mouse, which she took, but just put it next to the first one and guarded them both. I could chew my arm off out of frustration :P

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  11:05:47  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, I have no idea then. Gobo started doing this, but in the end the only way he'd eat is if I held it up like i was taking it away, and he nommed on down while I held it. but I spent an hour and a bit trying to get him to stop sitting on it and eat it.....

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  18:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes snakes just don't want to eat, there can be no other reason than they just don't want to.
Keep an eye on weight, and don't panic, you got a while before you need to worry.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  10:12:00  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As Mike said you have a while to go before you start worrying. Just to reassure you one of my corns Colin recently went hormonal and didnt eat anything for four months. My other one Xena didnt eat for the first seven months of her life so although it seems like a long time it isnt really. Just keep offering and leaving in the viv overnight and one day you may wake up to a suprise.

Good Luck

Editted to add: Also when Colin went hormonal the first few times before he started eating he used to do what your Ruby does he would strike it then lay there using it as a pillow for a while. It was about four weeks after that he took his first mouse so it could be the fact she is guarding it is a good sign.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 25/07/2010 10:15:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000