Eating sheds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  13:10:42  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought I knew the answer to this question but I'l ask here anyway. Do corns ever eat any of their sheds? The reason I ask is that I was on holiday this week and my nephew was checking on the snakes. Before i went I knew Alice was in blue and suspected Carmellia was too as she was looking duller than Peanut. I came home to two sheds. However, Carmellias isn't complete. There is a large section to her tail and a small piece about an inch n half long. But I can't find her head anywhere. I have stripped the viv, checked inside under and on everything, even every individual leaf of her ivy. I have checked her over and can't see any evidence of retained shed on her head. Now i thought they started the shed process by rubbing their heads to loosen the skin so surely there would have been some evidence of loose skin if the head of the shed was still on her. So I got to wondering if she could have possibly eaten the head piece. It sounds silly since as far as I was aware snakes didn't eat their sheds but I can't think of any other explanation. Other than that she likes the skin on her head and didnt want to take it off lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  14:24:44  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of that but I have lost a few pieces of shed in my time and never found them.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  05:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am with Elament on this Kd....have never heard of corns eating their sheds but the one time Kellog had a slightly torn up shed their were bits I never found, one being a piece with an eyecap on....had one side of the head but not the other. Didnt find it when I cleaned his viv out a few weeks either but I am sure it must have been there somewhere....

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000