New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  17:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 3 year old female snow about 2 months ago, the previous owner said the snake has never had any feeding problems (apart from a drop feeder.)

Anyway I've had her at home for just over 6 weeks and she has only eaten for me once, I took her to the vet (family friend) and he said she was heathy but he would keep her in and try and feed her for me he's had her now for over a week and she still wont eat, he said the next step is it force feed her....

but... he wants me to do it. I NEED SOME HELP how do you force feed a snake?

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  18:03:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unless shes losing a drastic amount of weight i wouldnt worry,force feeding is very truamatic,i would stop handling and just leave him be and offer food every fortnight,take a look at this link

Edited by - lee2308 on 16/07/2010 18:09:11
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  18:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres some interesting links, sorry if I nabbed the ones your'e after lee.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10632

I recently went through the same stage as you, my males back feeding now, his last feed was March, THERE IS HOPE!!

Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  19:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't touched her, I just let her to it and tried to feed her.
I think she has lost weight but coz I haven't had her out I haven't weighed her
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  19:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that was the link i was meant to put in lol

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  19:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

that was the link i was meant to put in lol

your'e getting slow old man.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  04:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you give us some more info about your snow's set-up (viv size, temps, whats in it), and about her as well (what she is being fed on, how often, what you have done to try and tempt her).

The more info we can get from you then the more chance we have of seeing if there is a problem.

I know you have taken her to a vet (who is also a friend), but is he experienced with snakes?

They can go for ages without eating, my 2 males have just started eating after starving themselves since March....so try not to worry. We just need to try and eliminate anything that may be stressing her and causing her not to eat and then see if we can help you find a way to tempt her to eat....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  08:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was you, I would have her back from the vet and keep her in her current setup, although, if you could give us an idea of the setup you have, then we will be able to tell you if there is something inherently wrong with what you are doing, its doubtful, but usually that is the cause of non feeding outside of breeding season.
Details we need are, viv size, hot end temps (need actual temps) cold end temps, what hides, how many, where in the house the viv is. Strangely, some many factors can have a huge impact on snakes.

To add, force feeding is really a last ditch effort, its not something that should be done as a matter of course, its dangerous and extremely stressful, no matter how good a vet is, if he has no experience force feeding, then its no better than you doing it.

Edited by - mikerichards on 18/07/2010 08:10:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000