Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Mods if you think it belongs somewhere else then please put it ther but,

I know force feeding is known to be stressfull for the snake, do people have any proof/experience of this?

Reason I'm asking as I'm considering booking Blitz into being force fed at my local, having fasted from Mid March to now, and now the weight seems to be dropping off him.

I've considered live, but not found anyone with a medium mouse (as I've been trying smaller sizes) but I dont want to risk anything.

Another question - Anyone whose had a snake been force fed experience any mood swings? Blitz is quite a tempremental snake, and I've done a lot of work with him, getting him accustomd to me, I dont want this to go down the pan.

Cheers.

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your local?? a pub aint gonna be able to help much with this!
Force feeding is stressful to the snake yes, you only have to do it to see that, they fight it the whole way, and can get quite agitated over it too.
I havent had any experience with a snake that shows mood swings after being force fed that it doidnt have already!
Snakes dont trust as such, certainly not like we do, so its not a case that he isnt gonna like you anymore, its just a case of defending themselves as they are being hurt and dont like it!

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense.

Cheers for that, I've never had to do anything like this before though.

My local reptile shop!

edit: some more info on snake himself,

he's roughly 4foot, quite stocky, was feeding one XL every fortnight, he's male, obvioudsly, I cannot weigh him as one he wont stay still and two our scales go upto 5 pounds or something, nans old 1940's scales...

Edited by - hillzi on 09/07/2010 12:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it helps in tescos they sell digital scales 4 £9.44 cant help wiv the not feeding but hopefully he will eat soon!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pics;

It's a lot easier to see face to face.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:43:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe getting snake drunk would help mike lol

Can you see his ribs and spine? 4 months of not eating I imagine is nothing to an adult. Could you get the vet to try assist feeding?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes a good size mate, you got ages before you need to even worry
hes probably just being a fussy git for a few weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks pretty chunky?? :S or is it just the pic??

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the pics Hillzi he really does seem to be a good weight, although I know that pics can be inaccurate. He looks heavier than Kellog and he is 4'6". He was hitting the 800g mark but after this breeding fast he lost just under 100g and it has done him no harm at all.

I weigh Kellog in a shoe box on digital scales....just weigh box, then zero scales, put Kellog in the box and put it back on the scales, subtract the weight of the box and you are left with Kellog's weight.

What is his behaviour like in his viv and when you handle him? Is he still behaving as though he is horny and climbing the walls of his viv, or has he returned to the usual hiding behaviour?

I know how hard you worked to be able to handle him so I know how much he means to you and you dont want to do anything that will undo the work you have done....

I am no expert as you well no, but Mike is so listen to him....

xxx

(sorry for the long post , just wanting to try and reassure you)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  13:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got some digital kitchen scales from Asda for £5 :p

He looks fine and a normal weight to me. I know you are worried but I think if you tried to force feed him it may be more counter productive than helpful because it can stress them out so much and then he may regurgitate.

He might still think he is going to get some lady action :p or he is just being temperamental like you said, because they are mean like that.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, you have months before force feeding would even have to be considered.

And force feeding is very stressful to the snake, they also use use up so much energy wriggling trying to get away. As mike said, if a snake is force fed, it wont hold a grudge against you.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  17:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im still force/assist feeding aura and although she puts up a massive fight at the start once its halfway in her mouth and i leave her to do the rest she calms right down.. if it wasnt for the fact that shes still too small to survive on her own i wouldnt put her through it, its something i wouldnt willingly do to another snake of mine

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  18:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, put my mind at rest.

I will persist with other tactics for now, thanks guys.

Done the braining, tried different size mice but nah.

I am worrying slightly as he's gone a lot longer than most male corns of keepers whom I speak to, and theyr'e all feeding now.

But I do put it down to mating behaviour, as he hasn't got any diseases/ill health conditions.

Thanks all, I know pics dont really show alot, but I am slightly worried, if anyones near me, feel free to pop round and have a look at him at least.

cheers.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  19:04:49  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
force feeding is definetly stressful - would you enjoy having a tube put down your throat and food squirted through it? (beer maybe, squished mouse no! )

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

force feeding is definetly stressful - would you enjoy having a tube put down your throat and food squirted through it? (beer maybe, squished mouse no! )

haha.. beer yeah.

I thought they basically opened the snakes mouth and forced the mouse down his throat? didnt realise it was through a tube??
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:13:26  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats assisted feeding, where you help the snake do its thing - force feeding is when you literally force the snake to eat something, ie. straight down its gut so it has no choice. liquidised mouse through a tube makes the process a whole lot easier

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can still force feed a snake a whole prey item, but its a lot harder and more akward, and gets harder the bigger prey item you use.

Go to Top of Page

candyazz
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  00:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you tried scenting the mice normally chick bllod drives them crazy also u could try the brine from hot dogs and lots of other stuff
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  10:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not tried scenting actually, I've gone to the excess of wiping mouse blood all over his viv, tried braining too but no donut.

I will be getting some more bits tomorrow, will see if the local's got any chicks or rats in.

Edited by - hillzi on 11/07/2010 10:49:49
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  11:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, i wouldnt bother with chicks at all, they are a funny food which the snakes really like, and sometimes can have issues going back onto rats or mice, so i would avoid if possible. To be fair, once he is hungry, he will feed, or whatever is causing him not to feed, will pass.
Hes not underweight, hes not skinny, so i really wouldnt worry about it, just keep attempting a feed each week, use a fluff or something like that so its not so expensive to waste a mouse, and once he takes it, you can then go back to the larger food.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  12:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah right ok, mouse or rat fluff?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly