Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 hibernation/brumation - is it necessary for males?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pitcher
Hatchling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  13:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As per the title really. just wondering if it is necessary for male corns to hibernate/brumate ready for the breeding season? it doesn't seem like my male needs any sort of natural trigger to get jiggy...

im planning on hibernating my female this winter but it'll be shame not to have any snakes around the place for so long :(

thanks
Lee

7.9 corns

dan87
Egg

95 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  16:54:28  Show Profile  Click to see dan87's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you should really hibernate males too, it helps build the sperm in the male, and help with the fertility. I would brumate for the same length as time as the females, i do mine for around 5 months.

MikeR logged in as Dan!!
Go to Top of Page

pitcher
Hatchling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  17:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks mike. Shame as I enjoy having the snakes around. Guess I'll just have to have a few more young's around

7.9 corns
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  08:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on how many you have, its a nice break!
Thing is, I hibernate for longer because its fine and gives a bit of a break from all the feeding etc, you don't have to, 2 months, 6 weeks, its fine.
One thing I didn't mention, when hibernating, check them once a week anyway, if they are losing a lot of weight then bring them up, get them feeding and go from there, as long as the weight comes back, they are still fine to breed.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:37:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine don't get brumated and go at it like rabbits when they're put together :) decent size clutches too (20-ish eggs)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000