Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  08:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.
I have 2 corn snakes that are about 7 years. I took them from a friend of my sisters as he was going overseas.

3 days ago I fed them both a large rat each.

Monte the smaller one who is about 4 1/2 feet long and with a head width of my middle finger took a while to eat her rat. It was the biggest rat she has eaten since being in my care. Her old owner told me that they both ate large rats every time.

It took her about 45 minutes to get it down. When she had finished she didn't look right. One side of her jaw wasn't closing properly.

The next day her jaw was ok but it looks like her throat is swollen. It has gone down a little bit over the last day but still doesn't look normal.

Has this happened to anyone elses corn snake before?

I saw her yawn and the inside of her mouth looks ok-no cuts or bleeding.

When she breathes her neck swells up similar to a bull frog when it inflates its air sack in its neck. I have never noticed it before and Checkers (her sister) doesnt have this swollen neck.

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  08:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry everyone, The photo didn't work and I cant edit my original post for some reason so I will try again to get some photos up.

[URL=http://img340.imageshack.us/i/dscf1012w.jpg/][/URL]

Thanks for your help!!!

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  09:16:40  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never seen this before....if it was me I'd take her to a vet, but maybe someone else on here knows what this is......

I hope she's ok...

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  09:48:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Large rat is way too much! Do you mean large mouse? A rat is far too much, trust me. I fed one of mine small or medium rats and he's bigger than your's and he got morbidly obese.

I have never seen this before either, I'm afraid, sorry. A vet is only really the way to go. I can only think that maybe a cyst or celulitis. It could also be that she is due for a shed "The two layers of skin constrict blood vessels around the neck causing the swelling at the throat like that. Happens to all snakes in one degree or another, most noticable right when the snake clears up just before shedding normally."

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops. I meant large mouse!!

I had read somewhere that this can happen when due for a shed. Its too much of a coincidence that it happened right after she ate.

I am trying to find a good herptologist. THe previous owner of the snakes is overseas and I can't get in contact to get his vets number!!!

Hope she isn't in pain. :-(
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:36:29  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OPP whereabouts in the country are you?

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:43:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did it happen like right after? I guess the eating could have caused her to stretch btoh the layers of skin and then when the mouse went down, the old stretched skin was making the newer one stick out somehow?

What does it feel like?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BUSTED!! I'm not actually in the UK. You guys seem to know alot about corns so I wanted your opinions!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't touched it in case it causes her pain.
It looks soft. It expands and contracts when she breathes.

Yeah, It happened right after eating. She didn't look right and her jaw wouldn't close on one side and her neck was puffy.

Edited by - n/a on 29/06/2010 11:03:01
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  13:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its probably down the fact the mouse was bigger than any before, sometimes it takes a while for the stretched skin to come back to shape again, so it could be that.
Sometimes corns puff their throats anyway, I don't know why.
If she has only just eaten, leave her the 48 hours and see how she is then

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  06:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have actually had this happen with Kellog before a couple of times, but not to this extent....and it did return to normal after a few days, so I hope the same happens for you. Please let us know how she gets on....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  08:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been 4 days since she ate and I'm getting worried.
I lifted up the water bowl she usually hides under and she didn't look too happy.
Trying to find a vet that deals with exotics and take her there.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  10:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What country are you from?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  11:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillzi- I'm from a country that doesn't approve of corn snakes so I would rather not say.

I took her to the vet and she has some sort of infection the vet thinks.
She had fluid in her mouth in the skin surrounding her tongue. She had an anti inflammatory injection and the vet gave me 4 antibiotic injections to give her over the next two weeks.

:) I'm so happy I know that it wasn't serious and she is going to be ok!!
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  11:56:15  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that OPP.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  13:11:12  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great to hear that.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  13:28:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that she is going to be ok.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  13:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news, I am intrigued as to why the country you are from does not approve of cornsnakes, or is it snakes in general? I don't think there is any worry about posting it on here, you are anonymous by your username anyway!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  14:24:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's good then! Did he say how this may have happened?

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
glad to know she will be fine :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  04:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad you took her to a vet and that the vet seemed to know what he/she was talking about. I am also intrigued as to what country you are in, especially as you obviously have a vet that is happy to treat corns....I would hate to live somewhere that judges me that way, but unfortunately I know it happens all to often. Mike is right though, you are totally protected on this site so please dont be worried about that.

I do hope that the injections clear up her infection. I am the same as Sta~ple, I wonder how she got the infection. It would be good to know in case it is something you can stop from happening again. Did the vet show you how to do the injections yourself? Are you happy doing them and do you have help to hold Monte still while you give them to her? I would hate to do that to my snakes but know that I would as I would do whatever is necessary to keep them healthy.

I do hope you will keep us updated on how she is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000