Hi i am new and need some imformation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  12:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i am new my name is heavenly and i have a female corn who is feeding every week and sheding in one piece everytime but she is shedding every two weeks should she be doing this i have only had her for just over a month as she was my sons. she is around 6 months to a yr old not 100% sure !

Heavenly Cameron

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  18:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi heavenly and welcome to the forum.im not sure if its normal for a corn snake to shed every two weeks.she may be going thru a growth spurt or does she have any noticeable injuries that she may be trying to heal by shedding often?mine tend to shed every 6 weeks or so.whats her set up like, temps ect and how are you measuring them?you say she's feeding every week, what size prey item are you giving her?others will probably ask these questions as it helps to get an idea of the snakes environment. sorry im not much help but im sure someone with much more experience will be along soon. it would be lovely to see pics as soon as possible-we love pics!welcome to your new addiction!!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  23:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
every two weeks is pretty fast, what are you feeding her?
the q's amanda has asked are pretty much what i was going to ask so i wont repeat them all but answers would be really useful

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  00:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  02:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Heavenly, it is really good that you have joined us....I am just sorry it is at a time when you might have an issue with your corn, but then you have come to the right place! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

And I am glad you are already asking questions. I would also ask the same questions as Amanda regarding getting as much info about her set-up as possible and as much info about her as possible (including what she is eating, how often, whether there is a bump after she has eaten and her weight). You say that you have only had her for just over a month....was she your son's before that? Do you have an information on her previous history with shedding?

It certainly does seem strange that she is shedding as often as she is. What would probably be best is for you to start your own thread, probably in the Corn Snake - General Keeping or the Health section....giving us all the info you can....and then we can concentrate on just saying hi to you here .

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  09:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome!

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:56:18  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome!! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  20:32:13  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  01:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amanda121921

hi heavenly and welcome to the forum.im not sure if its normal for a corn snake to shed every two weeks.she may be going thru a growth spurt or does she have any noticeable injuries that she may be trying to heal by shedding often?mine tend to shed every 6 weeks or so.whats her set up like, temps ect and how are you measuring them?you say she's feeding every week, what size prey item are you giving her?others will probably ask these questions as it helps to get an idea of the snakes environment. sorry im not much help but im sure someone with much more experience will be along soon. it would be lovely to see pics as soon as possible-we love pics!welcome to your new addiction!!

Jasmine doesnt have any injuries at all and she is in a glass viv, she has climbing material and she has her coconut hid away house and heat mat! She is eating small fuzzies once a week on a friday and only one fuzzie a week, she seems happy in herself and active enough when i get her out and handle her which i do 4 times a week for about 15 mins a time. Its just her shedding thats a bit concerning ! I will post a photo or two asap need to get some done and put on my computer!

Heavenly Cameron
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  02:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly

Jasmine doesnt have any injuries at all and she is in a glass viv, she has climbing material and she has her coconut hid away house and heat mat! She is eating small fuzzies once a week on a friday and only one fuzzie a week, she seems happy in herself and active enough when i get her out and handle her which i do 4 times a week for about 15 mins a time. Its just her shedding thats a bit concerning ! I will post a photo or two asap need to get some done and put on my computer!

It certainly does sound strange Heavenly. It is about right to be feeding one fuzzie a week....and Jasmine must be happy enough as she is active and handleable.

Do you weigh her? If so, how much does she weigh? If you dont then it would be a good idea to start so you can monitor her weight gain....I am wondering whether she is eating too much, but that is just a thought. I weigh mine every feeding day immediately before I feed them....just pop them in a box on digital scales.

Does she only have the one hide, the coconut one? She must have 2 hides, one on each side of her viv so she has a cool hide and a warm hide and can choose which one she wants to go in to. Does the heatmat have a stat to control it and digital thermometer to monitor the temp in the viv? I am just trying to get as much info about the set-up as possible to see if there may be some explanation there about why Jasmine is shedding so much.

Look forward to seeing some pics of her....so get some done soon !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  11:09:44  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  20:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: