Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  16:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are not many places that do reptile testing, I know kates lab don't do it, although she is going to learn! Idexx at wetherby do all off their stuff. I don't know how much it is tho.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  17:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised the vet missed it on his slides tho, they are fairly obvious! Thing is, you don't need to be infested to suffer from them. Be aware though, when he has a dump, there maybe a couple of worms there too.
Also, wherever you got your food from, don't get it there again, any kind of worm like that comes from food.

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  03:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So next time theres feces in the tank, check for adult worms? I've thrown the rodents already.. do you think it's worth giving the rest of my snakes a dose of wormer too?
Josh
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the stool sample test cost £15, He did his own tests, but said if he found anything suspicious that he couldn't do accurate tests for, he'd send the sample off for lab testing which he said may cost up to 30 pounds. He said that the only test he wasn't 100% in, was his test for cryptosporidium. He said that the staining technique that he can use is inferior to that of the labs tests, but that his method will give an indication.

He said it was unlikely about crypto as my snake shows no symptoms of it, but tested her for everything he knew of. He said if he found crypto, the snake definately had it he just couldnt distinguish if it would be serpentis or another form. he said if he couldnt find crypto, it didnt mean it definately wasnt present, but that if he did find it, it definately was there! however, he didnt find it, and said the faeces looked normal and that there was no evidence suggesting crypto..

Anyways, he said he was confident he had found everything there was to be found.. I think the only reason he did a crypto test was because i said i was worried about it.. hmmmmm, anyways! he said if she doesnt pick up weight again in a week or two, bring her back in, hel do a second stool sample for free just incase the wormer didnt get rid of the entire population. but again, he said its unlikely that it wont!

Josh
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt treat any of the other animals without seeing the vet first, its nt something that should be self medicated.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:42:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How do you de-worn a snake? I'm guessing not frontline or anything? Can you actually see any of the poos in poo normally?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  15:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok cool, well I shall wait till the hognose is a bit heavier anyways before taking the rest in for a stool check, they arent losing weight at all, infact, the hognose has put on a 6th of his body weight on in the past month! they grow really fast once they are off pinkies and onto something a bit more nutritious!

Been watching a couple of grass snakes that seem to have made there home in the rock wall that lines one edge of our pond, the pond is there for wildlife, rather then koi or goldfish, so it's good to see it's attracted some reptiles! it's pretty full to the brim with palmate newts.. I guess thats whats attracted them! Also found a slow worm in the compost heap yesterday too.. looking like a good summer for our native reptiles! It's really striking how similar garter snakes are to the grass snakes..

Anyways, thought that might be of interest! haha
Josh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000