New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have just been having a read through the thread on co-habiting snakes. i can see how its contraversial+theres pros+cons to it.
But, my question is does anyone know if king or milk snakes co-habiting carry the same risks? Im talking about a pair of same-sex snakes, to avoid breeding, that have been housed to together from young in the shop/breeders!
Any thoughts?? just wasnt sure if corn's were riskier to co-habit, or if its same for all species!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Kings and Milks eat other snakes in the wild (please correct me if I'm wrong)so it's probably not a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most, if not all, snakes carry the same risks cohabiting. I personally wouldnt cohabit kings they can be quite volatile. Never kept milks so cant comment on that part.

quick edit,

may be worth trawling around www.thekingsnake.co.uk for your info on kings and milks though

Edited by - gmac on 20/06/2010 17:41:51
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've even seen mixing species of snakes. in mmy LRS, rat snakes have been in with corns, also with trinket snakes!

I am strongly anit-cohabit, only if you plan to breed, and extra care then should still be taken especailly with kings as they do eat snakes in the wild, mainly rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok guys, thanks for that! decision made, dont think il be pttng 2 kings or 2 milks together!
My new question: if i securely divided a viv that was 4ft by 2ft, giving 2 vivs that are 2ft square each, would these 2ftSquare vivs be ok to house a king/milk snake? Or would that not be enough room?

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:38:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think you should ever put kings and milks together... they are known to eat each other.

Royals have been known to get along well for years and then all of a sudden, they can turn on each other.

I think the only snakes you can keep together very safely is garter snakes, they are generally said to be more better to handle when in groups, you just have to feed them separately.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry if my question was unclear guys, i didnt mean housing a milk with a king, i meant housing 2 milks 2geva OR 2 kings (im torn about which one to get)!
Anyone any views on if a 2ft square viv wud be big enough? as ive got a 4ft y 2ft viv+nothing to fill it LOL!!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  19:21:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if u put 2 milks or 2 kings 2geva then 1 wud becum dinner 4 the uver

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  21:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the 2ft viv seperate thing would be good but like corn snakes kings and milks need 4ft cages each, especially a king, si they would not be able to stay in 2ft x 2ft cages all there life i think,

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  22:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

I've got 3 kings, 2 at about 3.5ft long and one about 15 inches long.
One of the larger ones is in a 30x15x15 inch viv, the other is in a 24x15x15 viv.
The one in the 30 inch is about 15 years old, the other is guesstimated at about 4 years old.
Kings CAN get quite big, yes and putting them into 2ft vivs will be ok to start, but you may need to upgrade in the future.
The advantage of having the viv split is that you can put one heatmat underneath, right under the partition, as both the individual vivs will be the same size, so the heat should be bang on the same in each one.

I have a 4ft viv that's partitioned into 2 2ft vivs, I shall try get piccys later.

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Cheers, now I need to wipe the coffee off my screen.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  08:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, so sounds like splitting the viv would be a good idea for the short term! wondering now where id put ANOTHER 4ft viv for when they both need bigger housing! Maybe i should just get a king to put in the 4fter on his own!!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:23:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some kings grow small around the 3ft mark and some grow to around the 6ft mark on caresheets, it depends which one you get.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:39:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry Phil!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  19:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Some kings grow small around the 3ft mark and some grow to around the 6ft mark on caresheets, it depends which one you get.

Which one's get the biggest then??

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  20:04:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Which one's get the biggest then??

To be honest, I have no idea. On my own search for maybe getting a king or milksnake, this is where I got stuck lol. The kingsnake forum might be able to answer that question for you though.

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  20:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of getting 2 snakes, which you're worried about being able to house, why not just get one snake and give him/her lots of room/treats/attention?

zan x
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2010 :  23:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by Phil
Cheers, now I need to wipe the coffee off my screen.

^^^^^ This!!! love it, so true too though!
And as mentioned, if you dont have the facilities to house two snakes, the simplest answer is dont get two snakes.

Edited by - mikerichards on 25/06/2010 23:27:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000