New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  22:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checking I'm doing the right thing. On the 3rd of May Tehya was ready to have a slightly larger meal (or so I thought), so I upped her from 5-6g to 9g. She regurged but I put it down to me crashing and banging in the house getting ready to move on the 7th. I left her a couple of weeks and have been feeding her about 5g fuzzies every feed since then with no probs. I upped her to an 8g fuzzy last feed, and she has regurged again (she's gone cloudy but this has never been a problem before). So, she's going to miss a meal and be fed in 12 days time, with a smaller fuzzy. She's 43g (and hasn't put on much weight since her last regurge), so should be able to manage a larger fuzzy, but it's becoming obvious she can't, do I just follow instinct and feed her slightly less than I normally would in the forseeable future?

(Temps are fine, room temp in cool end between 26 and 29 in the warm end using digital thermometers and mat stat. Multiple hides across thermal gradient. She does tend to use the warm end after feeding)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  23:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would just carry on with the feeds shes able to take happily for a fair few more feeds then try her again in few weeks.
Obviously that is unless you think there are other issues that could be causing it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  09:50:18  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same thing happen with Xena. My rep dealer said she was big enough for a fuzz and to be fair it didnt look much bigger than the pinks she was on but she regurged it I think it was coz it was too big so I put her back on large pinks and she has been fine since. Saying that xena is pretty underdeveloped because she didnt eat for the first seven months of her life so she still has quite a skinny neck. Personally I am going to wait for a few more months until I am super confident she can fit a fuzz in before trying again as i dont want to see her go thru that again.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Nadine, I am sorry Tehya has regurged again. I bet you were dreading it happening having upped her food size again. You obviously know what you are doing, leaving her for the time she needs to recover from the regurge before trying again.

It does sound as though she isnt ready for the larger size, even if you want her to move on. How often is she being fed? Every 6 -7 days? Does it leave a bump when she has eaten it?

Just a thought - could you maybe feed her 2 smaller fuzzies that would equal a larger weight than what she is on at the moment? (You know I am no expert Nadine and have never dealt with such small snakes and fuzzies so dont know if this is possible....but I am just trying to think of all options open to you.)

I know there are all these feeding guides and suggestions about how to feed your snake....but you know what is best for her, so follow your instincts.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:07:54  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good advice Kellog (as usual) I wish I had followed my instincts with xena. Everyone said she was ready for fuzzies but i kinda knew she wasnt. I know now in the future to listen to my inner voice lol

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  19:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was Shylah (still a tiny 19g but he does at least eat now) before Judith, this is the first prob with Tehya. I feed her every 6 days (sometimes 7 if I'm working late). She seems hungry after her small fuzzy, and is hunting again after a day or two. With the small meal there's no bump and usually a big poo after two days (on me generally). The only issue there could potentially be is the disturbance of moving, but it's been a while now with some good feeds so I doubt it. I think I'm just going to leave her for a while on smalls. Just checking what other people thought.

I wish they were as good at feeding as my Royal python!

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  19:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Moo regurged his meal after I upped his size, so I have just kept to feeding him the same size mouse but two of them. Have fed him around 3-4 times with two hoppers and he has kept his meals down ever since. As long as the first mouse is around half way down his body then I feed him the next one. Really, in my opinion, as long as your snake is not losing weight then they should know what they can deal with. Just wait for a few feeds or so before offering her the next size up. If she still regurges then I would speak to a reptile vet or a local professional.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  22:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would just say feed her two fuzzies instead of one, if you think she needs a bigger meal she may do but can't handle a bigger food item. Just my opinion =]

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  22:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would actually disagree a little, don't feed her 2 again for a couple of weeks, my ultra did this after I gave him a small mouse, he was plenty big enough, but didn't hold it down, so I left him with 1 smaller mouse for about 6 or 7 weeks, then moved him to 2 smaller mice, now he eats a larger one just fine.
He did that 3 or 4 times. Just stick with 1 of what he is happy with for now, let his digestion build back up again and go from there.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  05:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

It was Shylah (still a tiny 19g but he does at least eat now) before Judith, this is the first prob with Tehya........

Trust me to get them confused ....blame it on the brain fog, you know what I am like!

Mike - I certainly wasnt suggestion that Nazzle immediately offer Tehya 2 fuzzies instead of 1....I know that when Silvesta regurged he was already feeding on 2 mediums and I dropped him down to 1 medium for a few feeds before offering him the 2nd mouse. Tehya definitely needs time to recover and be feeding and holding down her food before a 2nd fuzzie is offered....I was just trying to think of options but didnt explain myself very well (as usual) .

As I said Nadine, you know Tehya best so go by what you think....and you thought right, but you also did the right thing in finding out what others thought too. It is always good to reassure yourself about these things.

I never thought I would see corns being compared to royals as the worst feeders !

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000