salmonella
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  15:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quick question.....just how cautious do you have to be about washing hands after handling a snake, and whatever else they have been on?

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  16:11:47  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you should always wash your hands after handling or use antibac gel,as for things its been on if its possible to wipe over then do it but the chances are slim unless you put food on those surfaces

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's very important to keep up good hygiene standards with your snake. Not just because of the risks of salmonella but we don't want to give snakes a bad reputation. Reptiles already carry a high fear factor with a lot of people so it's not fair on them to make it worse.
To be honest the risk from your snake is no higher (some research says lower) than the chicken you have for a Sunday roast or the egg that we dip our soldiers into.
Why take any risks when hand washing is so quick and easy?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  21:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit, if I feed/clean/handle the snakes before dinner, I will always wash my hands, but if I don't plan on eating I won't, I'm not the type who sits licking my hands..

I don't wash my hands between switching snakes either, I know I should, but their vivs are kept immaculately clean and none have mites and both are in a fit bill of health.

I can safley say hand on heart, i've NEVER had salmonella in 4 years of keeping snakes. I think your body builds up those natural immunities, being exposed to little bits, your body adapts to it.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  22:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of little nasties that are carried on the snake, they dont clean themselves, they tend to make their way through their ownpoopetc.
there are a number of bacteria carried on the body of the snake, also in the mouth, salmonella is one of the them, pseudomonas is another one, which is equally as nasty, and can even effect the snake if its under the weather.
When one of my boas was under the weather, he had both of these and plenty others in quite high proportions, but they are still naturally occuring on the snake, so, bottom line, always always wash your hands, you can potentially make yourself quite ill.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  22:52:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wash your hands befpre and after touching the snakes and any of there stuff if you dont want it. Me and one of my snakes kinda kiss and I have never caught it. By kiss I mean I open the viv when he is peeing and he will come up to my face and stick his toungue out or press his nose against mine. If I had a child or someone with a low immune system in my house I wouldn't do that, I would be very careful about it all. I have had snakes 8 years an no-one in my house of familly has caught it. I always wash my hands after handling. I don't stick my fingers on my mouth but if I don't do it after handling then I might forget to do it before I handle my food.

Also, don't lick your snake or eat there poo, that will give you it XD

Or, got to a reptile vet and get you reptile tested for it, it's treatable.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  23:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salmonella and pseudamonas are naturally occuring on the snake, you cant get rid of it completely.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  03:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quote from Gingerpony (who is at present indisposed but is one of our experienced health experts) -

'this is something i've been wondering about my madagascan day geckos....) the main risk of salmonella is with tropical species that require high humidity eg. rainbow boas (and my maddies!!), as the 'bug' is kept alive in that kind of environment and is transmissable from rep to keeper.
corns are kept in a dry environment with humidity at normal UK levels so the risk of catching salmonella from your cornssnake is minimal however good hygiene procedures should always be followed.'

This was discussed a little while ago so you may find this thread of interest - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6752

I know that, personally, it is not something I worry about despite not having a great immune system (I am not immune-compromised, just dont have a very strong one). BUT I always wash my hands with antibacterial soap after touching my snakes or having my hands in their vivs....and I also do it after handling one snake before I handle the next. I also make sure that anyone who even strokes one of my snakes washes their hands too. It is purely a matter of hygiene as I know what sort of **** they may have slid through !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  23:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will see if kate will do a culture from a swab from one of my corns, just for the hell of finding out what is lurking on their scales!
might be interesting, might be boring.
The salmonella and pseudamonas are present on boas all the time, that much i know, (done the tests), but in fairly small quantities, there are other nasties aswell which are normal, but i cant remember what they are, and i dont know where the test results are now!
Will see!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000