New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  14:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,

i have a 3ft viv which im planning to use for my corn when i get one. the viv had lizards in before but it has a flurocesnt tube in the top right hand corner, fitting tight to the roof of the viv, will this be ok or would a corn break it etc

cheers simon

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  15:09:47  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it was left in it would need to be guarded otherwise a corn could burn himself or he could inceed smash it when climbing.

Corns don't need a light so it may be easier to just take it out.

I think i may have also read that these lights flicker on a level that we can't see, but can cause corns to become stressed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 10/06/2010 15:11:08
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also have read that the flickering light dont do them any good. Plus them tubes incredibly easy to crush so therefore dangerous. I'd get rid.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  19:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Often people say tubes flickering will anoy a snake. As far as I know there is no evidence to suggest they can see it at all, and as their sight is supposedly worse than ours, I really doubt they can.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  20:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Often people say tubes flickering will anoy a snake. As far as I know there is no evidence to suggest they can see it at all, and as their sight is supposedly worse than ours, I really doubt they can.

completely agree, but theres also no evidence to say they can't see it, so I don't do lights at all.

For practically, corn's get heat from their bellies in the ideal world, which a £13 heatmat and a £25 stat do, rather than a £8 bulb, £20-25 guard, and a £40 stat, not to mention the bulb holder and three core cable etc etc.

corn's are mainly crespecular meaning active at dawn/dusk, and their acceptable light levels are fine within the viv room regarding lights aren't left on all day and all night..
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  20:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

For practically, corn's get heat from their bellies in the ideal world, which a £13 heatmat and a £25 stat do, rather than a £8 bulb, £20-25 guard, and a £40 stat, not to mention the bulb holder and three core cable etc etc.

Another example of something I have yet to see proof for. A lot of people seem to say that corns get heat from underneath (some even say they prefer it), its rubbish. Even if it was true, bulbs heat the floor of the viv and provide ambient heat, which a mat wont do.

Also were talking aesthetic light, not heat light.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the idea that snakes get heat from their bellies is the fact that the ventral side of a snake is the most sensitive part as this si one of their sense, so as well as eyes and scent they ue the bellies to sense vibrations.
So, that being said, it might make sense for the snake to use a surface that it's belly is in contact with. I've often read and seen documentaries where snakes bask on roads, rather than on say grass. But then on the other side of that, corn snakes are semi arboreal and like handing about on low level branches or dead wood, or at the edge of fields/clearings.
As Matty said, there is no fact either way really. Snake eyeight varies from snake to snake, but it has been suggested that it ranges from seeing only the difference between light and dark, and binocular vision. And also that terrestial or burrowing snakes have the poorer eyesight, and the arboreal species have the more accurate eyesight.
I swear we had a topic on this on here somewhere.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  09:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,

thanks for all the info and advice, i think i will remove the tubes...so they will be fine in my reproom as there are no windows? they would get light from the room light and a few other vivs i have in there - is that ok?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  11:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as there is enough light for the snake to tell the differance between day and night it will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  12:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats cool then - thankyou

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page