New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  19:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering if anyone knows if its safe to use bluetack in the viv? kasey has taken to wrecking the place in his quest for some action and is constantly moving his stat and temp probes around. hasnt managed to boil himself yet but im sure its only a matter of time. they usually poke out from under his exo-terra cave where they've stayed since i got him coz he never used to burrow or cause havoc of any kind and was a nice tidy snake. now he's on the rampage most nights i need to stick them down but dont want to permanently due to cleaning ect. cant think of anything else at the mo that might work. does say non-toxic on the pack but i guess its better to be safe than sorry

kaseysquidward

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt use it myself. When using mat I stick probes to the heat mat with aquarium selant, it keeps a firm conact with the mat and wont get in the way of you cleaning the viv.

Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how long does it take to dry? just wondering if its a quick job i could do while my snakes are 'out to lunch'

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave it for 24hrs, but I cant remember how long it says on the tube.

Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used superglue, 20 seconds later all's done.
Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  22:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never thought of superglue, methinks i found my answer!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  22:55:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or you could use suction cups that can hold cables like those aquarium ones. It's what I use. Luckily I have a thermeter that has a suction cup threaded onto the wire so with them banded togther it works.

I've used bluetac in vivs and RUB's before. The blutac just dries out way too much or if any slight water gets on it, it doesn't stick.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  23:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use suction cups in squidwards faun as its plastic but they dont work in kasey's viv coz its wood its ashame they dont come with a bit of sticky backed velcro for the probes like whats on the back of the digi thermometer, he climbs all over that and it stays put

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  09:55:17  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I cable tie everything together now :D (after the other days debachle....tut tut naughty Gobo!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  00:04:25  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If he is a small snake in a faun you can try suction cups

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/fish-tank-equipment/aquarium-air-pumps/airline-and-valves/algarde-airline-sucker-clip.html
http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk//index.php?keywords=suction
http://www.onlineaquariumstore.com/acatalog/Multi-purpose_Suckers_and_Clips.html

I use them in Elijah's faun. Cable suckered to the side of the faun. Probes held in place by the hide.

If it's for the wooden vivarium I would go with Matty's suggestion, aquarium sealant is a strong adhesive, but it is also rubbery so easy to trim off if necessary. Super glue seems abit more permanent and would have alot more trouble if youwanted to deatch the probes from the mat. The suckers may work as I use them in my scorpion enclosure, but the sucker is on glass with the heat mat directly behind it.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  03:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit that I dont like the idea of permanently sticking the probes to the heatmat....am not sure how easy that makes it when it comes to doing a full clean out?

I have had this issue with Silvesta....came in and found the thermometer showing a temp of 31oC !! Then saw that the stat probe was pointing sky high so was reading the ambient temp and raising the heatmat temp accordingly. Just so glad I caught it. Have solved the problem by weighing both probes down with rocks which he is unable to move....and since then the probes havent been moved and the temps have stayed stable.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  12:50:30  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heatmat isn't stuck down in mine, as he generally shifts it sidewards rather than going underneath!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: