New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  18:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there I'm Hattie
Sounds like a stupid question but i'm really eager to find out what snakes poo looks like? do they wee? and how often?
Thanks sorry I'm a stupid idiot!

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  18:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to worry!

Welcome to the forum;

They can poo regularly or less frequent depending on how often their fed. pooping a lot weekly is a good sign, as theyr;e getting the nutrients they need and dont need to take as much out of the food as they would do in the wild, they dont know when theyr'e next mouse is coming from so take every bit of proteins and such so they poop and pee less.

It's a brown colour. Much like bird poo but no white. (sorry to be sooo graphic)
Pee is called 'urates' and is solid chalky like, white and yellow and crumbly, its solid as they do the same as they do with food, they dont know when theyr'e next going to find a puddle so extract everything they need and pee less.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much! Graphic is good ;)
I was just so confused and I really want to make sure I know about everything and that I deffinatly want a corn snake before I get one.
Is that not hard to clean up? Is it part of the cleaning process once a month or do you clean it up all the time?
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its alot easier than you might think.

My corn is almost 6 months old, she feeds every 5 days, then i find a pooh 2 mornings later (eg; if feed fri night, find pooh sunday morning)

I remove the pooh there and then (all substrate from around the area) just with my hands.

Then that evening I take her out, put her in a little tub and empty the faunarium, disinfect it with reptile disinfectant and put fresh shavings in.

Im sure in a big viv this wouldnt need doing weekly, but it takes about 3 minutes in my faun.

Its really easy and not a big deal AT ALL! If this is your only concern about getting a corn then i wouldnt worry! Lol.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok sounds pretty easy! It wasn't a concern I was just curious because I've never had anything like a snake before :D thanks for the encouragement
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  20:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your'e brave gaz, i use the dustpan for blitz's presents he likes to leave me, tear of the newspaper and screw it up and in the bin sack it goes.

its the urate that annoy me, so crumbly and skanky, they go EVERYWHERE!!!

I'm lucky Blaze's are small. i use a sarnie bag as and scoop it up.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  05:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will find that often they are more likely to poo when you are handling them, because the activity encourages them to. That may sound horrible but I actually prefer it cos it means less mess in the viv and you very quickly get used to the signs that they are going to poo - they go still, life their tail at an odd angle, their vent protrudes and then out it comes. You just have to have kitchen roll ready to catch, and be aware that it can squirt quite far!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  11:14:46  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha Pretty graphic kellog but its a very handy bit of information :D I normally perfer it but he lest me a pressent on my hoody once lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  01:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a shot of Brads anary Frodo that might make things a little more graphic for you.

bear in mind this is in a bath so it's a bit wet...

Also I found Bards topic really usfull as it shows you lots of different pic's of thing you'll need to take into account.
Topic http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2344&whichpage=1

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic