Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How to - fix cables and plants in RUB's.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  17:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya guys, so instead of having to weigh your wires down or laying them down flat, with the risk of them moving and taking inaccurate readings and heating too much, depending on the stat probe's posistion, I tried the cable tie method, read on.

Ok, what you will need IS,

A light coloured highlighter, a soldering iron (or something that could make the holes, a screwdriver heated up on the gas hob, or a power drill) scissors, and of course the cable ties, which I purchased here > HERE
it was £1 for a 100 cable ties, with free postage. Perfect size. Guy's a good seller A* from me!

Right step one, remove your snake and decor etc.

Step two, using the highlighter, mark out where you need the holes for the cable tie to be threaded through, this is what the blue dots are for, I used the highlighter as it can be wiped off, and actually makes a mark, I tried a pencil and a biro and they didn't even make a mark, I tried scissors to make a little dent but I couldn't even see the dent.

and for the cool end thermometer

Step three; melt/drill out the holes. WARNING: IF ANY YOUNGSTER TRIES THIS, DO IT UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION! ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR'E IN A VERY WELL VENTALAITED AREA!

Step four: After the plastic has cooled, and the fumes have disapated, its worth trying to scratch off the top 'ring' if you like to tidy the hole up. Now thread the tie around the wires, for the stat probe and two thermometer probes.

Step five: cut off the extention of the tie.

This is the end product..

Now everythings back in, can you see any wires?

The same method can also be applied to plants/decor

The plant being suspended by the cable tie is the light green canabis plant on the front side of the my RUB.

Hope this guide helps!

*edited by Kehhlyr to compress the link, it was page spanning*

Edited by - dazb on 12/05/2010 13:08:09

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post, should be made a sticky!!!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  19:33:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very nice and looks tiny although me being me I don't like putting holes in anything >.<

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  19:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Very nice and looks tiny although me being me I don't like putting holes in anything >.<

What looks tiny?

Well you can't put a snake in a RUB with no holes no can you?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  19:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
D'oh I'm so sorry I meant tidy! My keyboard hates me for some reason.

Hehe true which reminds me I need to put some new holes in some RUBs so hopefully I can have a go soon with that and try putting some plants up :) You have me all excited now lol. I do have a suggestion though if you don't mind me suggesting and that is if you don't want to use hot objects to make holes, a leather hole puncher for belts works well.

I also have the same hair putty as you! Haha

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  20:00:33  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

A light coloured highlighter, a soldering iron (or something that could make the holes, a screwdriver heated up on the gas hob, or a power drill) scissors, and of course the cable ties, "borrowed" from work it was £0 for a 1000 cable ties

edited to suit......

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

D'oh I'm so sorry I meant tidy! My keyboard hates me for some reason.

Hehe true which reminds me I need to put some new holes in some RUBs so hopefully I can have a go soon with that and try putting some plants up :) You have me all excited now lol. I do have a suggestion though if you don't mind me suggesting and that is if you don't want to use hot objects to make holes, a leather hole puncher for belts works well.

I also have the same hair putty as you! Haha

Not to worry! And thats a good suggestion, in case someone like me doesn't own a soldering iron or a drill, I borrowed the soldering iron from my neighbour, and we also have an electric oven.
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

A light coloured highlighter, a soldering iron (or something that could make the holes, a screwdriver heated up on the gas hob, or a power drill) scissors, and of course the cable ties, "stole" from work because I am a scummy cheap northener

edited to suit......

I approve much?

Edited by - hillzi on 08/05/2010 20:14:28
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  10:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Phil
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  11:03:05  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awesome! :D
I'll be doing that with mine!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

boswell3782
Hatchling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  13:38:54  Show Profile  Click to see boswell3782's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol, looks like a cannabis plant in the 2nd pic lol
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  15:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boswell3782

Lol, looks like a cannabis plant in the 2nd pic lol

They are! well, fake ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZooMed-Cannabis-Reptile-Vivarium-Plant-36cm-/160521343503?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item255fd1520f
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  20:09:32  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great and really useful, now i know what to do when my new snake moves up to a bigger sized enclosure

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  23:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that looks amazing

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  23:34:46  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool idea. Nice one!

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

scorpyshake
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  14:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great idea, where do you get the fake cannabis plants from, but I personally would put the cable ties the other way around, so the cut off end was on the outside, brilliant idea though, as I was wondering how to attach fake plants

0.0.1 Amel
0.0.1 Snow
1.1.0 Bloodred/diffussed
1.0.0 English Mastiff x Rottweiller
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  15:09:37  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scorpyshake

great idea, where do you get the fake cannabis plants from, but i personally would put the cable ties the other way around, so the cut off end was on the outside, brilliant idea though, as I was wondering how to attach fake plants

Good idea but wouldn't work on the bottom

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

scorpyshake
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  19:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
Originally posted by scorpyshake

great idea, where do you get the fake cannabis plants from, but i personally would put the cable ties the other way around, so the cut off end was on the outside, brilliant idea though, as I was wondering how to attach fake plants

Good idea but wouldn't work on the bottom

Yeah I thought that after I'd posted lol

0.0.1 Amel
0.0.1 Snow
1.1.0 Bloodred/diffussed
1.0.0 English Mastiff x Rottweiller
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page