New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
374 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  11:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hay guys, rubi is coming up to a year old now and i want to put her into a viv soon, i hvae been looking around and have gone from thinking i would get a exoterra glass viv, to a wooden one. However i am now considering building one aprox 2.5 ft by 2 ft and 1prox 1.5 ft high....just wandering how easy it would be to do this and what the best way to go about it would be. Al,so wandering if it would save me much money? the closest viv i have found so far ehich is 3 ft by 15 inches and 16 inches high is £44.

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  12:31:45  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For the hastle of having to go out buy the wood/fixing/runners/glass/vents. Then making sure you plan it right an get all the pieces cut right an square etc etc I'd just buy one.

I'm all for making them if I got the wood free or am converting something or making something more complex that just a viv on its own, but just for a basic straight forward viv I'd buy new or find cheap second hand.

If you good at DIY you could buy something suitable size an cheap an convert it. I've made vivs out of an ottoman, wardrobe doors and a set of draws in the past.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  12:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless youre building a viv to fit into a specific space or shape etc, id just buy one!

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  12:37:11  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have just bought 2 of these for my 2 older snakes as I will put one into the viv now and use the other one in a few months when she is ready because they are on sale and so cheap at the moment (not sure on the shipping costs as I collected from them). I don't think you will be able to make one for the same money if you had to buy all of the wood, glass, runners, vents etc.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/compact-vivariums--1310/vivexotic-lx36-36-compact-vivarium-ellmau-beech-138751.html

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  13:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As already said, for the price just buy unless you are good at DIY and have decent power tools, a cheap source of materials, glass & runners. Plus be prepared to put up with a bit of mess.

I'm building 3 new vivs from free spare boards which I have lying about. I still have glass to buy.

It can be ordered, delivered next day and built in a couple of hours.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

rubi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
374 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  14:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thankyou, i was hoping to find a 2.5 ft long viv to fit my coffee table but can only find a 2ft or a 3ft. Will just buy one i think and find another place to put it.

Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  20:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wanted a custom made viv/coffee table, and even priced one up for me to make it by hand or have it made for me (there is a guy who does amazing custom made viv/furniture pieces)

Then I remembered...vivs need heat, I live in a rented flat so couldn't really cut a hole in the carpet in the middle of the floor to have the wire going up to the coffee table! We're next thinking of a way to get one under the TV and have the TV on a separate stand that arches over the viv (therefore not letting the sound vibrate the vivarium)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  20:28:08  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why not just get a rug run cable under rug an cut hole in that

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

rubi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
374 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  15:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i looked at some of vivs that are inside coffee tables looked awsome but as you said heating be a bit tricky...i would prefer a custome made one (and get someone else to do it) but money is a bit tight so just lookign for basic one to go ontop of the coffee table

Go to Top of Page

Andrea49
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  12:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're customising our coffee table into a viv when we get back off our trips. Should be interesting for visitors when they come into our living room and see a snakey looking at them when they pick their mug up off the table! It will still be a fully functioning coffee table, and we're getting thick glass etc to cope with it. We've already got the plans drawn up and other halfs dad is a carpenter - useful if we need him, though I'll be ok - I'm pretty good at DIY and making things if I've got a proper plan. I think if you're going to make you're own, you need to plan it fully - where to source materials and tools if you need them, and then work out if it's really worth it. Unless you're going for a very bespoke design of course

1.0 'Normal' corn - Kelloggs
Go to Top of Page

rubi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
374 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  19:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds awsom i really like idea of having inside cofee table but thiink would be difficult to make..think will definatly buy one after what people said just want to make sure i look at all options. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000