how i made my iincubator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  14:07:08  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
items need.

polystyrene box ( i used a box which was w x h x d = 24" x 13" x 21")
thermostat (i use habbistat)y
1/2 heat mats( depending on choice)
extra sheet of polystyrene
15amp connector blocks
electrical tape
a knife
aquarium silicone.

attaching the thermostat

to start of get the box and the thermostat. disconnect the plug socket that the heatmat plugs into.make a hole in the polystyrene box at the bottom of the inside coming out on one side. poke the cable for the heat mat/s into the hole going into the box. now the cable is in put each core of the cable into a seperate connector block. Next the mains plug for the stat diconnect and poke the cable thru the same hole into the box. make another hole same as before on the other side and pull the mains cable back out so the cable goes straight thru the box and reconnect the plug.

then finally poke the stat sensor in to the same hole as the othe two cables going into the iincubator. then with the silicone put a few blobs on the back of the stat and tape it onto the side of the box.so it looks like this at the end of getting all cables inside .

attaching the heat mat/s

disconnect the plug/s on the heat mats and with the cable you put the conecctor bloke on connect the mats to the stat. putting brown to brown blue with blue. make sure with a gentle pull that the cables doesnt come back out.after being connect use the electrical tape and completely seal the connections. using the silicone apply a few blobs on the back of the mat and tape onto the inside as central as u can. once these are on get the extra sheet on styrene and cut it to fit inside the box. dont make it too snug as u want to be able to pull it out in the future. place a hole in the centre and poke ur stat sensor thru like so. and push gently to the bottom.

this is out of prefference.the window

in mine i have cut a window into the lid. this is so i can check the digi thermo/hydrometer inside without losing the the heat. you can use old cd cases todo this howver my gf wouldnt let me throw her one direction cd away so i used glass. and sealed it with the silicone.

now its done. give it a test run for a couple of weeks so you can solve any problems before the eggs arrive. also these are the boxes i use to put the eggs in they are 7 " squre and 4" deep. half fill them with damp vermiculite . 150g of verticulite to 150ml of water.

this is how i incubated my eggs last year and i lost 4 eggs out of a total of 42. good luck with it if you decide to use this. any questions just ask.

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not a breeder but looks like a good way of doing it :D

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  23:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my only query is, why have heatmats on the sides? hot air rises, so you are better off having the mats in on the bottom, you have a slightly more stable tamps gradient inside, especially after opening the box for any reason.

Go to Top of Page

burton2236
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:02:11  Show Profile  Click to see burton2236's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thermostat habbistat the ones on ebay brand new dont look the same as yours??? where can i get one the same as yours mate??? and how much would it cost???? i had a look at one yesterday and it was 95 pound
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:18:19  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

my only query is, why have heatmats on the sides? hot air rises, so you are better off having the mats in on the bottom, you have a slightly more stable tamps gradient inside, especially after opening the box for any reason.

if u put heat mats at the botton u get bigeer temp differences. with the heat mats on the side you get the air to circulate instead of rise therefore heating the air inside the incutbator instead of the bottom of the egg boxes. i found with having thr heat mat on the floor there was a 3°c difference between top and bottom. with them on the side it was 0.5°c. so technically your not producing a single hotspot ur averaging the heat out by heating from the side.

sorry if i waffled lol

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burton2236

thermostat habbistat the ones on ebay brand new dont look the same as yours??? where can i get one the same as yours mate??? and how much would it cost???? i had a look at one yesterday and it was 95 pound

my local rep shop has always got about 10 instock where abouts are you

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:27:22  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_sg

quote:
Originally posted by burton2236

my local rep shop has always got about 10 instock where abouts are you

i just looked where u are lol. its up to you but if you want i can get one and send it to you next day recorded delievery. think these stats are £25/£30. and postage probably about £10

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000