New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  16:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crystal hasn't taken her last 5 meals now, i'm not getting worried just yet. She's about 6 months old and approx 1ft in length. She was in a small faun but has been destroying it everyday for the last 2 weeks, so i've moved her into the medium faun last night to see how it goes - so far its still intact. She has 2 hides, 1 in the warm and 1 in the cool end, warm end temps are 28-29 C. The faun is on a stated heat mat.

She's still feeding on pinky's not yet big enough for fuzzies and fed every 5 days or at least offered every 5 days at the moment. I've tried braining to no avail, i'm going to try scenting with tuna brine tonight - do i brain the pinky too or leave whole?

I have been keeping an eye on her weight and since she last fed on 21st Novemeber she's lost 2g (she now weighs 19g. If she doesn't take the pinky tonight i'm going to try the next feed in a small tub. I've stopped handling her until she's taken some feeds. Have i missed anything - or is there anything else i could try. I know hatchies can go for months without food.

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  18:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cant really help but crossing fingers for you that she eats soon x

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  19:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Victoria, just checked my records and see that some of mine at six months were 19-21gms so weight isn't a problem, are you sure she is only 12 inches in length, it seems quite short for a snake that age. I feed every seven days for four feeds then miss a feed, all mine put on weight regularly but do occasionally lose a gram or two. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, I also wouldn't offer any food if she has recently moved home. I am sure she will eat when she feels the need.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  20:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently gone through the same thing with one of my house snakes,he fasted for a month and a half and he's suddenly started feeding again.
Also have another snake thats refusing,braining and smaller prey items haven't worked. These snakes don't half try us at times eh!
I've not tried scenting......yet. I'd probably not brain the pink if I was scenting it as brainings not worked anyway. Good luck,I hope it works.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  20:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply 'mick' she isn't much over 12 inches probably 15 at the most - one side and one length of the smallest faun plus a tiny little bit. This is the smallest hatchie i've had, my other two were 6 months + when i got them. She is usually fed every 5 days but on the odd occasion it has been 7 days if i've been late in and haven't had time to defrost the pinky (or more like i couldn't be bothered to wait up for it to defrost) she has put on weight steadily since getting her - she was 10g the end of september and has only shed once at the beginning of october. She has however just pooped despite not taking a feed for a couple weeks so possibly could have been a bit bunged up ?? I'll leave her for another few days before attempting a feed again - let her settle into her new home, hopefully thats what she wanted - some more space

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  21:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you get her to eat soon xx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla