Probably a really stupid question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  08:28:53  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can corns retain sperm for possibly over 4 years?

I cringe as I type it as I was sure it was impossible. Connie started laying eggs the night before last. The first 2 were definitely slugs, she laid another yesterday that seemed more creamy coloured than yellow but was misshapen so i discarded that as well. Now I have woken up to 2 more in the laybox. 1 is definitely yellowy but 1 looks a nice creamy/white colour. I can't see if it is all round and a good shape as Connie is still in the laybox and I don't want to disturb her.

The thing is, I have only had her for 2 months but the previous owner had her for 4 years and she was an only snake so no chance of being with a male. She was a rescue so unknown history before that. I am really confused as I wouldnt have thought sperm could be retained for that long but this egg does look more normal to my very inexperienced eye. I will try to get a pic later but need to go to work now.

Please just tell me I'm being ridiculous and to bin the lot.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:29:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think they can hold it as long as that (a guesstimate). Good eggs are nice and white and shouldn't look wet.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  20:59:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it was proved they could retain sperm for that long it could seriously scupper a whole lot of selective breeding.........i suppose it comes down to how much you trust the vendor?

hope she's ok hun *hugs*

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  21:29:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got her from one of the trainers I deal with at support dogs so I would say she is pretty trustworthy.

Well we have 7 eggs so far and I think there are possibly 5 more to come. I have given her a bath like you said GP and now I'm just leaving her alone to see if she passes them. She pooped in the bath so I don't know if that is a good sign or not although it was only the white stuff. She was fed on the 6th so I would expect to see some mouse remains. Is that normal?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if she managed to pass something, even if it's only urates, it's a good sign that she's not totally blocked up hun
as for poo.......there might be some to pass or there might not, if she had pooped fairly recently there might not be a lot (if any) to come out yet (though usually it's one of the few things you can guarantee in life - sh!t will happen lol )

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000