Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Gemsyork
Hatchling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  19:48:07  Show Profile  Send Gemsyork a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stats are a must IMO if you value your reptiles you will use 1, I have seen the damage that not using 1 can do like the holes in rubs all over the inter net and a female royal I took on last year.
To not use a stat is madness for the sake of £20 put the animal first not your pocket. :-)

Corns, burms, king, KSBS, Rosy boas, Common boa, Leos, hamster, mice and rats
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  20:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think of it like skydiving. You only need one chute, it should work all the time. Probably.

But would you jump without a reserve?

Of course not. So why risk a life just because you can't be bothered for the sake of £20? That's all it boils down to at the end of the day.

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  20:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
comment removed AGAIN - ADMIN

Coxy i removed on of your posts is that not a give away?

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry kehhlyr I did misread your post :)

But yeah in a nutshell I think no one should really jump down the throats of anyone wether that be pro stats or against. Maybe it is pure luck people without stats Havnt burnt there little corn or maybe a certain manufacturer of heat mats are excellent at holding certain temps I have no idea.

We should just advise each other, if it's taken on board great if not then that's up to them and every luck to em. :)

I'm in between because I'm a first time corn snake owner, had my adolescent corn lol for just over a year and I'm not using a stat because my reptile pet shop seems very professional and clued up on reptiles so I'm just using the equipment given to me and so far so good :) but when she's big enough for a proper viv it will have everything lol stats, thermometers, Exo terra padlocks lol

Edited by - scott1102 on 21/02/2012 21:08:23
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott1102

Sorry kehhlyr I did misread your post :)
I'm in between because I'm a first time corn snake owner, had my adolescent corn lol for just over a year and I'm not using a stat because my reptile pet shop seems very professional and clued up on reptiles so I'm just using the equipment given to me and so far do good :) but when she's big enough for a proper viv it will have everything lol stats, thermometers, Exo terra padlocks lol

teeny weeny question scott do you not currently have thermometers?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh sorry yeah I do but again I seem to be doing something different to everyone else lol again, advice I was given so it may be bad advice I'm not sure.

But I only use one Exo terra thermometer placed bang in the middle of the box to give me overall temps. It says roughly 20-21c
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh right, have you had a gander at the setting up a viv/rub type thread at all? there are some useful tips in there to whats advised. x

Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i'v seen that topic and i generally dont mean this in a sarcastic manner but i honestly think its an awesome read :) and if im perfectly honest i wish i had followed it step by step when i first got my little tinkles lol

It's my own fault, since getting her iv always been in this particular mindset that her little plastic viv is only temporary and im sat on the edge of my seat waiting for her to be big enough for a proper viv. Fingers crossed im only a month or two away i think.

And because shes never refused a feed and never had a bad shed i thought "shes fine" and when i asked the reptile shop owner he always said one thermometre is fine and aslong as she sheds and feeds well then shes ok.

But after venturing in to this thread now im not so sure lol and im starting to worry im next in the firing line
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the double post all but whilst where on this subject i really would love it if someone could create a step by step with pictures like the one mentioned but for big wooden/glass viv's as im close to buying one :)
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the mat inside or outside of the rub.

Go to Top of Page

Moriarty
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  22:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

sorry for the double post all but whilst where on this subject i really would love it if someone could create a step by step with pictures like the one mentioned but for big wooden/glass viv's as im close to buying one :)

I know this isn't the right thread for this really, but I can tell you what I did. I am in no way an expert, but I put my wooden viv together just last week, so I can remember pretty well the steps that I went through! I'll be as simple as I can so as not to disrupt *this* thread too much...

The wooden vivs are practically the same for setting up, if I'm honest. Well, they're pretty similar. You'll get instructions to build it which are fairly simple, but after you've built it, you can see how everything fits together.

There's cable holes at the top for you to feed your wires through, for the heat mat, and stat probe etc... I'm not sure if what I did was the best thing, but to stop loose wires floating around the viv I secured them to the back wall using little suction cups ( http://www.festive-lights.com/accessories/suction-cups-25-pcs.html?utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=se&utm_campaign=gb&gclid=CMaDk_mGsK4CFUcTfAodmB80RQ -> like this) which I think are meant to be used in securing Christmas lights, or that's what my mum said anyway! I find they work quite nicely, even if your snake thinks he's a wire afterwards...

You can see the suction cup at the bottom.

The mat should go on the inside of the viv, just on the floor on one side! You have to secure it down so snakey cannot get underneath it and burn himself. I used a heavy duty tape which I know will not peel back because I tested it on other things first. Safety is a priority and I'd hate to see harm come to my snake this way. You can of course use anything you like for this. If you choose to add a light, I'd keep it above the heat mat so all the heat is on one side of the viv (my lamp gives off quite a lot of heat as well, so I'm glad I put it on the warm side!) The cables can all go through the cable hole (which will be clear to you once you've build the viv!)

Of course add in your thermometers, the probe (should you use digital), just goes on top of the heat mat (again, I secured mine with the suctions cups), but I've know other members here to pin them down using rocks, or branches. Whatever is easiest for you!

That's really all you NEED to include in my opinion, a heat mat with a stat, and thermometers! Make sure the snakey cannot escape through the cable holes, although if he is big this shouldn't really be a problem as they are quite small.

Substrate goes down (I uses Aspen), with a thin layer covering the heat mat because wood is an insulator of heat, and I do want *some* of that heat getting through, but about an inch thick elsewhere, because corn snakes like to burrow! Well, mine does anyway...

Add your hides, preferably one in the warm end, one in the cool, and one in the middle, some branches, leaves, cover of preference, and I'd say you're ready to go.. I may have missed something, and this has turned into an essay in completely the wrong place, but I hope this helps!

(Note: The lamp has been changed since this picture and is now a lot dimmer, more cover has been added, and I've purchased additional leaf branches for the sides of the viv, but decoration is down to you!)

** And in relation to *this* thread, I use a stat. When I did my research, it was basically one of the fundamental pieces of equipment on my list of things to purchase, purely because of the dangers of not having one! I can't imagine not using one, especially as they're so cheap and ensure the well-being of your snake!

Edited by - Moriarty on 21/02/2012 22:06:59
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
blimey. I got through almost an entire bag of maltesers reading this troll-fest....

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we aim to entertain ;)

Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
absolute legend moriarty :D great looking viv!

Oh and my heat mat is outside the viv. its the same plastic tub as the one in the "how to set up" guide we were talking about. An exo terra large thing.

edit: does anyone know a good company online to order viv's and accessories from? as im a little limited where i live. I have the guy i got tink from but i dont like the style of the vivs he has for sale and i have pets at home lol terrible for reptiles.

i like those vivs what have a cabinet that match it.

like the one mariarty has

Edited by - scott1102 on 22/02/2012 00:55:49
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  01:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the best value online are seapets, surreypetsupplies (tho I believe they no longer deliver vivs, oddly...)

and I found www.reptiles.swelluk.com who do a 2 foot wooden viv for a tad over 30 quid, i think with matching cabinets for extra dosh.

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  01:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh and my heat mat is outside the viv. its the same plastic tub as the one in the "how to set up" guide we were talking about. An exo terra large thing.

edit: does anyone know a good company online to order viv's and accessories from? as im a little limited where i live. I have the guy i got tink from but i dont like the style of the vivs he has for sale and i have pets at home lol terrible for reptiles.
wilkinsons now sell them with the cabinet to match and not to bad on price u can order them on line as well for delivery

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  01:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry scott1102 dont know what happened there lol wilkinson sell them with the cabninet to match now quite nice they are and and u can order on line for home delivery

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Moriarty
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  13:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha no worries! I picked the viv and stand up from a local reptile store because I didn't fancy ordering one online (with risk of damages) although I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem if you chose to do it. Pretty sure it's actually cheaper to buy them online anyway if you wanted to do that. I bought everything I needed to go inside the viv (mat, stat etc...) on http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/ and the decorations (hides, vines etc...) I bought at a local Pets at Home store (some from the reptile section - which I agree is very limited), but I got the skull and few of the plants from the aquatic section!

For the small plastic Fauns I believe you keep the mat underneath it, not actually on the base in case the plastic melts, but for vivs (made of wood), wood is an insulator and so if you placed the viv ON the heat mat, no heat would get through, so you just put it inside the viv on the floor, and tape it down. (I'm not sure if you said you already knew this, but thought I'd double-check!)

Again, the viv I use is a 3 foot VivExotic and matching stand which *I believe* you can buy in most good reptile stores, or several places online (I unfortunately have no links for buying them online - sorry!)
Depending on the size you want, you have to be careful because the cabinet and viv come *separately*! For example, when buying the 3 foot viv (36 inches), you need to buy both the VX36 (viv) and CX36 (cabinet), as some online websites didn't make this very clear and simply stated the vivs have matching cabinets (and this could of course be interpreted that the cabinet comes *with* the viv, which it doesn't!)

Hope I helped a little, and didn't confuse you!

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  14:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't tape your mat down inside the tank, all I have read on here states tape is very bad for snakes!

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Moriarty
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  14:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

Please don't tape your mat down inside the tank, all I have read on here states tape is very bad for snakes!

I also read that tape can cause serious problems, but I am using a very strong tape which I trialled for a fortnight before snake purchase. It didn't come loose at all, and it was not affected by heat over the two week period. I want no harm to come to my snake, and so made sure that he couldn't peel it back, or get under it himself. When covered with a thin layer of substrate he doesn't go under there anyway

If you don't feel comfortable using tape at all then I wouldn't, obviously, but I was happy with the durability of the tape that I am using, and the measures I took in making sure it was as secure as possible. I haven't had problems with it yet! When I clean the viv out, I ensure to check the tape, and if it looks at all worn, or on the verge of peeling, I will happily replace it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000