Page: of 10

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  14:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny

That is correct phill but once reached maximum tempature i.e mat being on 24/7 then this can be altered to get the correct tempatures.

Can we move on yet ?

Thought you moved on back up the page?
quote:
Well in that case the biggist selection of snakes reptile shop in essex needs to be shut down after 3o years with no problems because you say need a stat.

Moveing on enjoy your day haha

Danny
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  14:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have but no one lets it lie and be forgotton.I cant help that im just going to not respond anymore yes you must have a stat or all your snakes shall shrivel up and die.

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  14:12:32  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive never claimed to be "right" as i said simply giving my opinion all the research i did before buyying my corns suggested a stat wasnt really an optional acessorie but the one thing that gets to me is when im being perfectly polite and objective but get spoken to likepoopwhich is uncalled for

I know plenty of people /shops keep snakes without stats but at least make it an informed choice if you know the risks and choose to do it thats fair enough its none of my buisness! however when people ask for opinions its polite to respond

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  15:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At no point have i been rude rude i may have been oftone i agree with that, but thats what happens when you get several people saying must this must that,There is no Must it can be done with no issues but not advised. But which allso interests me is that out of pages and pages of different topics/threads this and the rub one have been read far more than any of the others that have been here for months/years, most people dont say alot they ask a question you tell them what you have been told and thats the end of that subject.

Which in the real world it certainly isn't the case and this shows by the number of people actally reading threw the debates rather than yes sir no sir silly questions. Apolgies to anyone who ive offended from being one of the people that do something different and spoke up .

Atleast the two topics have made the forum interesting which shows in numbers,

But we all still know the same thing and the answer to the original question so still we have gone knowhere.
Is there not moderators around that often to lock it as asked by other regular members

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  15:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, despite constantly saying 'you're out' 'not gonna respond' etc, you keep coming back. Bow out and stay out if you're going to.

And I'm sure people have more taken offence to 'You're just a pet owner, I know people who have loads so nyeh' comments than anything.
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  15:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No comment :)

All the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Read the instructions on heatmats, it says something along the lines of "with animals that have a specific heat requirement and cannot regulate temperatures then a thermostat should be used"

Heatmats DO get hotter than the perfect 28c, anyone that thinks an unstat'd one will stay permanantly at the perfect temp really does need to have their thermometers calibrated.
I shall find the scan I made ages ago.

Exactly. A mat does not know what temperature to set itself too, its just amazing how many people think that somehow that partially heat mat is specially made just for their corn and no other type of animal what so ever.

I simply just do not understand at all how people happily splash cash on hides, vivarium, plants ect spending near the £100 mark when there are cheaper alternatives but don't seem to mind because their snakes home is all pretty yet, suddenly become tight over £20, that is what makes my blood truly boil. A fried snake certainly won't look sexy in that super kitted out viv out. A stat is far more important than that exo terra water dish, plants and a nice 3/4ft viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry spreebook but yet again it has been done.

At what time has it been said that heat mats where made for only corns? As we (BOTH) no this is incorrect.
Being a question that has never been asked!

Who said anything about money? Certainly not a issue... if it was then i suggest you dont even keep pets if thats why u dont have a stat, they can very from as little as £20upwards for a half decent one (mentioned)
Being a question that allso didn't get asked my viv/rub is just as boreing as the high percentage of anyones snake enviroment!

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny

Well in that case the biggist selection of snakes reptile shop in essex needs to be shut down after 3o years with no problems because you say need a stat.

Danny

Coldblooded per chance?

They have stats on all the reptile racks in there, quite visable. I was in there last week!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@danny, i wasnt saying that your set up doesnt work, or was i saying that your temps are wrong and you do not adjust so that the temps are right. what we are getting at is what would happen if your mat malfunctioned or overheated in hot weather? and then the temp could reach well over safe levels and injure the animals that your are responsible for.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed in some of the stand up cabinets as theres a bigger area to control, but not some out the back in rubs. Sometimes when selling a corn they advise it, being the younger weekend lads that do what there told, but if you get them on a quiet day and the owner is in then im sure he shall be willing to show you some examples of unstatted fauns this is a shop owner/breeder if anything you would get. you allso need this as a must for the extra sale which there going to get more money at the end of the day. All being said if done properley it can be done in a fawn wiothout one but still advised lol yawn.

Can you remember if they still had baby red iguana's at all

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the repshop near me keep their hatchlings in a glass fronted cabinet with no heating and they eat and shed fine, but that doesnt mean i want to fill my cupboards with hatchys. a stat is required on any set up if not to regulate temp to stop the mat from overheating and malfunctoning.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@danny, i wasnt saying that your set up doesnt work, or was i saying that your temps are wrong and you do not adjust so that the temps are right. what we are getting at is what would happen if your mat malfunctioned or overheated in hot weather? and then the temp could reach well over safe levels and injure the animals that your are responsible for.

For that reason a stat is recomended, as has been known all along. In hot weather the faun would get raised greating a bigger air gap and a weaker temp of heat riseing (If we get a summer that is) personaly im hopeing my hatchy will be 2 big by then anyway and shall be in a bigger viv in 4-5 months :) if your not useing one then they are usally removed and checked daily at least once. A stat is allso just as breakable as a mat though i had one go on a 4 foot woodhan set up in the winter and temps dropped rappidly all Sorted within a short amount of time ovusley.

All the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but the snakes are fine with a drop in temp not with a rise in temp, especially as my vivs are insulated. and all of my stats are on a rdc switch so would trip if they malfunctioned. but surley it would just be easier, especially when you have some hanging around, to put a stat on, rather than lowering and highering and added and removing padding.

i think people are having trouble understanding your reasoning for not having one, more than you not having one if that makes sense. you seem so headstrong about it that it comes across that you knowingly endanger your snakes for the sake of making a point, and because 1 breeder told you that they do not use them. but as stated above they do on some.

you have been 'cornered' as you put it because of you attitude and how you have approached talking to other members of the froum, including me. i think that the debate is settled.

if people decide not to use a stat they are happy in the knowing that the mats could/will eventually indanger the snakes, although not using a stat has been practiced by many people without problems but just as many with, it is a personel choice to get a snake, and its also a choice wether you decide to keep them correctly, following advice from breeder, rep shop owners and members of the forum.

i think the generel concensus is that stats are a must, but you can choose not to at your own, and your snakes, risk.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  16:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the repshop near me keep their hatchlings in a glass fronted cabinet with no heating and they eat and shed fine, but that doesnt mean i want to fill my cupboards with hatchys. ( And neither would i and never would thanx )

a stat is required on any set up if not to regulate temp to stop the mat from overheating and malfunctoning.

a stat is required on any set up if not to regulate temp..Yet this (they eat and shed fine). Temps can still be regulated easily the snake does this, something i believe you recently learnt from reading someone elses post. Temps are still yet no different to yours or anyone elses

(malfunctoning) A stat can just as easy as a mat with the same outcome

You finished yet? as said lets not be childish, all things are already known and keep getting stated it's not a matter of compareing what you do and what others do im afraid, its for a member asking after 6 years (without a stat) asking if why they should get one. forget me if im wrong but i believe that person has now ordered them:) so go you guys well done good job:) beutifull pictures of his/her snakes though dont you think??
mature i no but why all the stupid questions? and random things being said from no where come from?
It would prevent the long constant replys the person got a stat. im happy with my set ups like everyone elses on here so whats the problem its your opinion and others can have theres if they arent useing one

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was there any need for...

You finished yet? as said lets not be childish.

nothing about what i have said has been childish, read back and see who that comment was aimed at.

im not going to carry on as it is clearly moving from a topic to a argument, and as you are unable to see the points we are making and are not going to par take in an adult conversation im done.

im sure a mod will be along shortly to close the topic as the sensible outcome has been settled.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:17:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You say you know they are not meant just for corns yet, how do set yours so magically without a stat? How would you adjust the temps for other animals?

No, no one did bring it up that's why I brought it up because of the countless times I seen people spend lots of money on what looks nice rather an safety. They spend money on vivs and then moan about an extra £20 for a stat.

Using air gaps is just a fail sure way of controlling temperatures.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im fully aware that was aimed upon me without a shadow of doubt. which i agree to! threw theese questions the whole lot could of been avoided if you didnt randomley pop up and state all the odds that we have been threw allready. We learnt notheing more than what was already known the only thing that has been achieved from you is this

And this... the repshop near me keep their hatchlings in a glass fronted cabinet with no heating and they eat and shed fine, but that doesnt mean i want to fill my cupboards with hatchys. a stat is required on any set up if not to regulate temp to stop the mat from overheating and malfunctoning.

Which all has been mentioned beforehand causeing another argument so you can have a last moan on your opinion and what you wouldnt do, notheing got solved out of it which allso makes you childish for pipeing up on a gravestone to get a word in that u alredy said.

It allso has been asked all day for it to be closed by others aswell as now once again my childish self it takes two to tango remember that.

All the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im saying no more staple not going to waste my time and neither should you anymore.

chin up
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the repshop near me keep their hatchlings in a glass fronted cabinet with no heating and they eat and shed fine, but that doesnt mean i want to fill my cupboards with hatchys.

i said this because you said repeatedly that coldbloods keep theirs without stats. i was merely adding to that comment.

you never did answer, what would happen if your mat overheated and malfunctioned?

and you still have not answered, which is why we are not moving on, why if you have a stat free to use, would you not use one?

my childish self it takes two to tango remember that..... it sounds like you are talking to yourself, the way you have worded that.

i also hadnt piped up earlier as i was at work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000