Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  16:27:11  Show Profile
Yeah, I know. not reptiles, But not corn snakes!

I may be aquiring a couple of scorpions (I believe they are emperors).. I've been doing loads of research so I can look after them but does anyone here have any experience with them?

These poor babies have been in a show at the Edinburgh Festival, so if they survive the ordeal, I'm expecting them to be pretty temperamental and pinchy/stingy, but have no real intention of handling or super taming them if they aren't already as I don't want to stress them out any more than they already have been!

They look about 3 inches long (without tail).. I wondered how old they might be? They were aquired from less than reputable sources too apparently, so I did wonder what problems I might be up against..

Any advice welcome

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  17:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by siliconscience

I may be aquiring a couple of scorpions (I believe they are emperors).. I've been doing loads of research so I can look after them but does anyone here have any experience with them?

These poor babies have been in a show at the Edinburgh Festival, so if they survive the ordeal, I'm expecting them to be pretty temperamental and pinchy/stingy, but have no real intention of handling or super taming them if they aren't already as I don't want to stress them out any more than they already have been!

They look about 3 inches long (without tail).. I wondered how old they might be? They were aquired from less than reputable sources too apparently, so I did wonder what problems I might be up against..

Any advice welcome

Scorps are brilliant, my other half has put her foot down on those as well though They're fairly easy, a cricket to eat every day, and they'll be fine.
They don't necessaraily need heat or a light, but it's nice to have them. Get a small UV or blacklight and they glow a brilliant metallic green!!
If you are allergic to bee/wasp stings then be a bit more careful, if not then don't worry about them, pick em up fairly firmly from thumb and forefinger around stinger, the put them on palm of hand/mates head/daughters pillow/down the front of underwear or in a nice padded box to me.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  17:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by siliconscience

Any advice welcome

Scorps are brilliant, my other half has put her foot down on those as well though They're fairly easy, a cricket to eat every day, and they'll be fine.
They don't necessaraily need heat or a light, but it's nice to have them. Get a small UV or blacklight and they glow a brilliant metallic green!!
If you are allergic to bee/wasp stings then be a bit more careful, if not then don't worry about them, pick em up fairly firmly from thumb and forefinger around stinger, the put them on palm of hand/mates head/daughters pillow/down the front of underwear or in a nice padded box to me.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  18:14:39  Show Profile
how big tank do you need for 2.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  18:14:39  Show Profile
how big tank do you need for 2.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
you could probably get away with one about 12-18 inchs long, by 8 wide, by 10 tall.
so either:

12x8x10, or 18x10x10.
They don't need anything to big. when do you think you might be getting them??

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 21/08/2008 21:04:50
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
you could probably get away with one about 12-18 inchs long, by 8 wide, by 10 tall.
so either:

12x8x10, or 18x10x10.
They don't need anything to big. when do you think you might be getting them??

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 21/08/2008 21:04:50
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:14:52  Show Profile

need heat or a light, but it's nice to have them. Get a small UV or blacklight and they glow a brilliant metallic green!!

if you do get a black bulb dant leav it on all he time because its supposed o weaken there skin/shell/what ever you call it

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:14:52  Show Profile

need heat or a light, but it's nice to have them. Get a small UV or blacklight and they glow a brilliant metallic green!!

if you do get a black bulb dant leav it on all he time because its supposed o weaken there skin/shell/what ever you call it

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:16:53  Show Profile
i really like them but dunno if i could handle them.

scared of the sting.

gonna have a look over weekend and handle one in my local shop.

wanna find out about temprement first.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:16:53  Show Profile
i really like them but dunno if i could handle them.

scared of the sting.

gonna have a look over weekend and handle one in my local shop.

wanna find out about temprement first.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
they're brilliant, but like with all 'wild' animals, it's confidence more than anything. if you're comfortable with them, then they will be with you.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
they're brilliant, but like with all 'wild' animals, it's confidence more than anything. if you're comfortable with them, then they will be with you.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:16:03  Show Profile
ooh thanks :) that's most useful. That was the kind of size tank I was going to get for them. I was going to get a mat to keep them up to 'happy temp' as my flat can get very cold (especially in winter), but I heard you need to put it on the side as they burrow to cool down and could get really sick if they burrowed closer to a heat source they were trying to escape?!

I should find out today if/when I'm getting them.. I'm so excited and hope I do!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:16:03  Show Profile
ooh thanks :) that's most useful. That was the kind of size tank I was going to get for them. I was going to get a mat to keep them up to 'happy temp' as my flat can get very cold (especially in winter), but I heard you need to put it on the side as they burrow to cool down and could get really sick if they burrowed closer to a heat source they were trying to escape?!

I should find out today if/when I'm getting them.. I'm so excited and hope I do!!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  12:25:42  Show Profile
post some pics wen you get them....

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  12:25:42  Show Profile
post some pics wen you get them....

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2008 :  10:31:39  Show Profile
will do! I should hopefully have them Tuesday or Wednesday!! (trying not to get over excited in case it all falls through :P)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2008 :  10:31:39  Show Profile
will do! I should hopefully have them Tuesday or Wednesday!! (trying not to get over excited in case it all falls through :P)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  10:21:28  Show Profile
Argh! I got a call last night and had to pick them up yesterday.. poor babies :( They hadn't been looked after at all! When we picked them up they were in a tiny started viv - something more suitable for baby snakes than a pair of scorpions. The crickets were in a plastic container inside with them! They had a rotting piece of cork bark they were hiding under and a water bowl they had no hope in hell of getting into. Add to this the fact that they had clearly just had a couple of crickets flung in with them every day, most of which were crawling around or had died and were rotting. They'd been kept in a porta cabin with a heat mat, but the mat seems a bit faulty so they've been pretty cold. All this for a whole month! I was amazed they were alive! And it STANK.

Some hardcore slog later and we managed to seperate all the crickets into my old fish tank (really small!) and we're now feeding them up on fruit and veg.. hoping to establish some sort of colony but not with any great optimism. The scorpies themselves are much happier - I put them in a tub while I disinfected their tank to let them warm up inside my house and stretch their legs. They have an awesome little forest to live in now. Lots of deep substrate for digging, some flower pots to hide in (which they love), fake plant and a water bowl full of pebbles which they practically ran for when we popped them in the tank! We haven't fed them yet because we thought they should settle for a day or two, but we'll give it a go tonight.

The biggest is female and is a proper escape artist! Thankfully the tank is escape proof. I'll be getting them something bigger soon and a new heat mat, but it'll have to do temporarily and is a damn sight better than how they were kept before! the second is a bit smaller and hasn't come out of hiding yet, but was nicknamed Mr Pinchy by the circus people... Both were a little riled when we first got them, but they seemed to have chilled out now :)

I took some pics (including before and after!), but need to get them off my boyfriend's camera, so I'll try and upload them later tonight or tomorrow :D

Wow. Long post. Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  10:21:28  Show Profile
Argh! I got a call last night and had to pick them up yesterday.. poor babies :( They hadn't been looked after at all! When we picked them up they were in a tiny started viv - something more suitable for baby snakes than a pair of scorpions. The crickets were in a plastic container inside with them! They had a rotting piece of cork bark they were hiding under and a water bowl they had no hope in hell of getting into. Add to this the fact that they had clearly just had a couple of crickets flung in with them every day, most of which were crawling around or had died and were rotting. They'd been kept in a porta cabin with a heat mat, but the mat seems a bit faulty so they've been pretty cold. All this for a whole month! I was amazed they were alive! And it STANK.

Some hardcore slog later and we managed to seperate all the crickets into my old fish tank (really small!) and we're now feeding them up on fruit and veg.. hoping to establish some sort of colony but not with any great optimism. The scorpies themselves are much happier - I put them in a tub while I disinfected their tank to let them warm up inside my house and stretch their legs. They have an awesome little forest to live in now. Lots of deep substrate for digging, some flower pots to hide in (which they love), fake plant and a water bowl full of pebbles which they practically ran for when we popped them in the tank! We haven't fed them yet because we thought they should settle for a day or two, but we'll give it a go tonight.

The biggest is female and is a proper escape artist! Thankfully the tank is escape proof. I'll be getting them something bigger soon and a new heat mat, but it'll have to do temporarily and is a damn sight better than how they were kept before! the second is a bit smaller and hasn't come out of hiding yet, but was nicknamed Mr Pinchy by the circus people... Both were a little riled when we first got them, but they seemed to have chilled out now :)

I took some pics (including before and after!), but need to get them off my boyfriend's camera, so I'll try and upload them later tonight or tomorrow :D

Wow. Long post. Sorry!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000