Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

190 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  19:56:06  Show Profile
Well full story.

Me and Anthony have a friend, and he knew a girl with this royal. He was trying to get hold of Ant all day, and finally got hold of him, he explained to us in nice drastic ways of “the royals flesh is hanging out”.

We thought it may not have been as bad as that, so we said we would come over that night and check him out. Our friend couldn’t meet us there that night so we went the following day. The girl wasn’t there as she went away for the weekend, and left him with the key to the house because of the royal.

When we got there and checked him over, it wasn’t as bad as we thought it was, looked ok from our view (when the vet opened it up, much worse)

So while we were there, rang the girl up, she seemed more fussed that she was loosing the £40 she spent on the royal, but I said id take him, and do what I can to get him back to health.

She couldn’t afford the vets, and we did say if we take him, then he will be ours after.

The snake was also not eating due to has tank being far to big for him, and his hide was massive.

What was wrong with the snake?
When we got there. Had a hole in his throat, with some white sticky substance around it. Ant said probably bent his neck round and ripped it open more.

For the snake to get this in the throat he must have been climbing, and he got behind the exo terra thermometer, the foam donut shaped bit was what was stuck to him. (you think that would be safe in the viv right?)

The snake was left dangling there. Wiggling about, eventually, he gave up and just hung there apparently. The girl ended up going out that day not watching him, just left him, although he wasn’t dangling, she did turn the viv onto its side, but on instruction of the friend, as she had no clue!

By the time she got home, he was no longer stuck; he got off, and then managed to wedge himself under the bulb guard. Not sure if she tugged him to get him out, but the bulb guard did get taken off in the end (luckily the bulb was not on)

Whilst we were at the house, we put him on the bed; he was arching his back in a very weird way. When we felt him over, it felt as if he had broken bones, he has one area on him that dips in quite badly too.

What happened at the vets?

Took him to Mark (trinity vets) on Tuesday morning. He was going to stay in till Thursday but ended up staying till Friday instead.

When we got there, by that time he had a minor RI from everything that he had been through.

Once mark had opened up the wound on the neck, it was much worse than what it had appeared to be.

All tissues were dead Inc muscle tissues. The flap of skin that was there was not in the best shape, but it was used to help stitch the neck back together. It will probably die and fall of itself at some point, but at the moment it will help.

It could not have been removed due to the fact there was not enough stretchiness in the royals neck, (best way to put it) and pulling so tight, may not be able to feed.

So that’s that sorted out.

For the RI he’s been into the nebuliser a few times now, and had some injections for all of it. Different antibiotics.

He has been tube fed twice, so hopefully that will keep him going for a while if he does decide to refuse to eat.

We will be trying to feed him on Tuesday or Wednesday, and with any luck he will eat.

As for his bones.
I think in a way, they are way worse than his neck, looks to me to be 35+ broken bones. Not sure what happened to him, but im going to try and get it out of the girl some how, weather she dropped something on him, or stood on him, or some very bad handling.

Any way, here are the pictures of the x ray

This is a labelled one, showing where all the fractures are; there some close to the spine, some further down, and it’s basically all mangled up.

here with skin you can see where the bumps are if you look closly

For anyone who hasn’t seen my other thread, heres what he looked like when he came in

And this is the neck wound

Here’s without the shed on him (pretty boy)

In the neck few days I will get pics of how the neck is stitched up.

Right now he needs to be left alone, to have the food go down, and get the antibiotics working.

A big thank you goes to mark (Rodneyvet) http://www.trinityvetcentre.co.uk/ for all the help he’s given me over the past few days, and sorting this boy out for me, I would highly recommend him, such passion for what he’s dealing with.

Another big thank you to Maureen Collinson, she helped me out at the vets, and brought the royal back to me on Friday night.

And to my boyfriend Anthony for taking days of work for me, and driving me down to the vets and helping me with this little boy.

Hopefully by the end of the year, his bones will be better, and he will be back to perfect health.

Hel be a little deformed, but well loved.

It’s a shame that when he’s being handled he will start to breath really fast, he’s so nervous when being handled.

I just really hope he eats for me next week. Hopefully the tube feeding will have got him going.

Visit www.AS-Exotics.co.uk

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  20:11:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Aww the poor little lad, an 08 that's had more than a lifetime of trauma already. It's such a sad start in life but things are getting better for him now. Well done Sam.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  20:11:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Aww the poor little lad, an 08 that's had more than a lifetime of trauma already. It's such a sad start in life but things are getting better for him now. Well done Sam.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  20:35:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well done Sam, sad story, but with a happy ending - hopefully.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  20:35:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well done Sam, sad story, but with a happy ending - hopefully.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  23:26:02  Show Profile
Thats a really great thing your doing, I hope his health improves. Hes a good looking royal.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  23:26:02  Show Profile
Thats a really great thing your doing, I hope his health improves. Hes a good looking royal.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  08:41:37  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
best of luck with him and i hope he makes a speedy recovery

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  08:41:37  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
best of luck with him and i hope he makes a speedy recovery

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  12:57:43  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Glad to see hes now in a loving environment, good work Sam

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  12:57:43  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Glad to see hes now in a loving environment, good work Sam

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  12:59:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How good are snakes at healing broken bones?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  12:59:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How good are snakes at healing broken bones?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

190 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  18:04:09  Show Profile
they are good at it, could take some time, should be right by the end of the year.

Thanks everyone!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

190 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  18:04:09  Show Profile
they are good at it, could take some time, should be right by the end of the year.

Thanks everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  19:19:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That's good news.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2008 :  19:19:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That's good news.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  10:33:12  Show Profile
Poor thing. I'm glad he is being loved and cared for now! That girl needs some serious education, not to mention all out pet removal and a ban from owning animals :(

Have you named him yet?

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  10:33:12  Show Profile
Poor thing. I'm glad he is being loved and cared for now! That girl needs some serious education, not to mention all out pet removal and a ban from owning animals :(

Have you named him yet?

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  11:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I like the X rays shots- very interesting!

Hope he gets better soon x

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  11:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I like the X rays shots- very interesting!

Hope he gets better soon x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000