Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  17:53:53  Show Profile
Im hoping to get a royal in a months time or so and i need to sharpen my knowlege. These are the main things im stuck on:

1. What food size equals a royals size? So 3ft royal 4ft royal 5ft royal will be eating what rat sizes?

2. What are the correct temps and humidity? (i have read up on this myself but there are so many differant opinions)

3. Could someone tell me the make and model of mat stats and theremometers they use?

Thats is for the moment i think but im sure i will have to ask alot more! Other people please feel free to add your questions!.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  18:29:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As with other snakes its more about girth than length for food size. Big royals can eat large rats.

I keep Rocky at 30 - 32C.

Habistat Mat Stat and an electronic thermometer from ebay (Marina is the make I think)

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  18:29:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As with other snakes its more about girth than length for food size. Big royals can eat large rats.

I keep Rocky at 30 - 32C.

Habistat Mat Stat and an electronic thermometer from ebay (Marina is the make I think)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  19:02:39  Show Profile
I wasnt sure about using a royals girth to judge the food size because its so chunky, thanks for the info

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  19:02:39  Show Profile
I wasnt sure about using a royals girth to judge the food size because its so chunky, thanks for the info

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:08:36  Show Profile
your soooooo lucky I have to wait 1year and 65 days

Not that I'm counting

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:08:36  Show Profile
your soooooo lucky I have to wait 1year and 65 days

Not that I'm counting

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
1. yes I'd still go by the girth of the snake to determine the size of prey items

2. I keep Queenie at 30-32*C, humidity is about 50%. Orchid bark is good for maintaining the humidity, I only mist the tub once a week or more often if he's due to shed.

3. I use a MatStat which is great no probs and Exo Terra dials for temp and himidity which are rubbish! I have to keep checking them manually with ones I got from a garden centre.

I would recommend getting a Royal from a reputable source. There's been a few threads on the other forum about a batch of CF08's getting ill quite quickly then dying. It sounds like a lot of these have gone out to pet shops but I don't know what area is covered (geographically). But from your post it sounds like you're getting one that's already grown on so that shouldn't be an issue
Try to see it feed before buying it, whatever the age, it won't guarantee it will feed for you when you get it home but it's a good start!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/08/2008 21:57:31
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
1. yes I'd still go by the girth of the snake to determine the size of prey items

2. I keep Queenie at 30-32*C, humidity is about 50%. Orchid bark is good for maintaining the humidity, I only mist the tub once a week or more often if he's due to shed.

3. I use a MatStat which is great no probs and Exo Terra dials for temp and himidity which are rubbish! I have to keep checking them manually with ones I got from a garden centre.

I would recommend getting a Royal from a reputable source. There's been a few threads on the other forum about a batch of CF08's getting ill quite quickly then dying. It sounds like a lot of these have gone out to pet shops but I don't know what area is covered (geographically). But from your post it sounds like you're getting one that's already grown on so that shouldn't be an issue
Try to see it feed before buying it, whatever the age, it won't guarantee it will feed for you when you get it home but it's a good start!

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/08/2008 21:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:04:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

Yes, my friend (Magneticblue) bought and lost two from that batch

Its the wrong time of year to find babies, so like you said they should be grown on by now and feeding, so should be better.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:04:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

Yes, my friend (Magneticblue) bought and lost two from that batch

Its the wrong time of year to find babies, so like you said they should be grown on by now and feeding, so should be better.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:20:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
oh no it all sounds pretty awful.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:20:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
oh no it all sounds pretty awful.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He got over it by buying a Red Tailed BCC, its gorgeous.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He got over it by buying a Red Tailed BCC, its gorgeous.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  10:37:40  Show Profile
Yeah GP im after a 4ft+ female royal. I have been looking at adverts on the internet in and around Bristol for royals and i have seen a few.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  10:37:40  Show Profile
Yeah GP im after a 4ft+ female royal. I have been looking at adverts on the internet in and around Bristol for royals and i have seen a few.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  11:24:00  Show Profile
I have just been looking at books on royals on 888reptiles. There are a few, can anyone recomend one?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  11:24:00  Show Profile
I have just been looking at books on royals on 888reptiles. There are a few, can anyone recomend one?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  11:34:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
All the ones on 888 are Captive Farmed (rather than Captive Bred) and '08, so will still be quite small. I would recommend trying the other website, there's a classified section on there with quite a few Royals on it.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  11:34:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
All the ones on 888 are Captive Farmed (rather than Captive Bred) and '08, so will still be quite small. I would recommend trying the other website, there's a classified section on there with quite a few Royals on it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000