Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  18:49:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Trust me.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  19:17:25  Show Profile
It seems your right :) I didnt doubt you, i just thought i read it as being illegal.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  19:19:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs, its a common misconception.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  19:32:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Have stolen this from another site:

This is quoted from British Parlements resources site.

quote:

Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision.

Those of us who have been involved with reptiles will argue that a mouse that is being produced for food really has no cognizance of what is going on and exhibits no fear.

Whilst we absolutely do not want to encourage live feeding, we think we need some clarity as to whether that is going to be made illegal under this clause of fighting. Our concerns are, because of Clause 3(iv)(c), the need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns, that snakes in the wild feed on life prey, there are no carrion feeding snakes, so that would mean we are not going to be able to feed them frozen food; we are going to have to feed them live mice, and equally we would be opposed to having to introduce that.
quote:

this practice is currently legal so long as not practised in a public place. There has always been confusion over the legality of this practice as no regulation directly relating to this has ever been decreed. Many millions of rodents are destroyed every year by break back traps and poison, compared to these methods the kill by a snake is swift and efficient

Basically, the laws as they are DO NOT ban live feeding, but experts and animal welfare groups DISCOURAGE it.

The new laws concerning animal welfare may IN THE FUTURE make it illegal, but there is an equal chance that they will make it ILLEGAL TO FEED F/T, or PREKILLED.

Because, under proposed versions, they will make it a legal requirement that natural behavior is exibited, and as said, this would mean live feeding only.

Another proposal outlaws it completely. This would mean alot of dead reptiles(boiga, and other species that will not take FT/prekilled.)

Basically, I cannot see either of these versions getting through, and i foresee the laws remaining the same.

The ambiguity probably arose from other laws, banning fighting such as ****fights, and bull fights etc.

quote:

some people claim that placing a live mouse with a snake for the purposes of a feeding is still deliberate intent to induce them to fight

BUT when it comes down to it, the practice is legal.

I CAN LEGALLY, IF I WANTED TO, PUT A PUPPY WITH A BURMESE PYTHON, THE SAME AS I CAN A MOUSE AND A ROYAL, OR A RABBIT AND A BOA.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:01:22  Show Profile
Thats interesting to read.

"The new laws concerning animal welfare may IN THE FUTURE make it illegal, but there is an equal chance that they will make it ILLEGAL TO FEED F/T, or PREKILLED."

I dont get this bit though, or maybe i do, does this mean we could possibly have no micky mice to feed our snakes :s

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:05:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It means that its as likely that we won't be able to feed them frozen mice (as its not natural) - will have to feed live as it is that live feeding will be banned.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:07:35  Show Profile
Also BE, do me a favour, dont put a puppy with a burm

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:09:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'll never have a Burm, not a fan of the giant snakes and Wiggle's not ready for a puppy

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:26:51  Show Profile
Im the same. I would like a boa in the future, but nothing bigger.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:30:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A friend has just bought a red-tailed boa and its very cute, will wait and see what its like in a couple of years!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:34:21  Show Profile
Whats their maximum size? i havent handled anything over 6 1/2ft.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:37:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Females up to about 12' but average around 8' I believe.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  21:41:16  Show Profile
Well there is hope

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked