Another feeding problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  09:55:19  Show Profile
Hi, I have another corn who wont feed....

This belongs to my neighbour, but he has recently brought to me to see if I can get it to feed - sort the viv out etc, as I have an adult corn.

This one was bought about 5 weeks ago and although he was told it was feeding fine, hasn't fed since he got it home.

When I got him he didn't have a hide or water bowl, so I sorted that (he drank lots as soon as I put the water in). He'd also had a bad shed which I'm putting down to lack of water/humidity in the viv at the time, and I have bathed him also since we got him.

I have tried him with a pinkie, but to bo honest think maybe he needs a couple more days to adjust.

Basically can anyone tell me how long they can go without a feed at this age? (my adult goes off her food regularly from April to mid May each year, but then feeds fine the rest of the time).

Also is there anything else I should try - his temp is fine, he has bark, water and a hide and seems active and alert.

Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, plus knowing at what stage we start to worry and involve a vet!

Many thanks, Lauren

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  10:27:55  Show Profile
Hi, if it didnt have a water dish, how was it able to drink? (Before you got him i mean)
Not having somewhere to hide will also make the snake really stressed out and this will put it off its food.
Personally, i'd put a water dish and hide in and give it a good few days undisturbed and then try again, maybe even putting the snake in a shoebox for a few hours with the pinkie if the first idea doenst work.
Hope it eats soon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  13:15:37  Show Profile
hi jellibabee, welcome to the forum,

its good to hear that the snake is in your hands now and being looked after.
he might have been stressed at the conditions he was being kept in, hopefully when he has settled in the surroundings you have provided for him he will settle and eat for you, if not I have read about braining the mouse so that the snake can smell it, a small incision on the head to let the smell of the brain out and hopfully entice your snake to eat!
well good luck, hope you have him feeding soon, keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  13:21:50  Show Profile
I don't think you need to worry just yet about him not eating, I am sure they can go quite a while without food, even at this age(guessing young as hes on pinkies), i've read of loads of people having problems with feeding and going quite a long time without food.
hopefully he will be scoffing them down once settled!!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He can survive a long time without food, however, if he's been 5 weeks without water you may find that he's actually very poorly, keep a close eye on him. Give him a week to settle in, no handling, plenty of fresh water and then try him on a brained pinkie.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  19:08:15  Show Profile
Hi, just to let you know that he has a hide and a nice water bowl which he can drink out of and bathe in should he wish. He is also in our bedroom away from my menagerie so he gets plenty of 'alone' time. I have just put a pinkie in with him and will leave him undisturbed - if he doesn't take this I'll leave him a little longer as its not quite been a week we've had him.

He is active and watches from his new hidey hole which I'm taking as a good sign - he also has a wee fake plant he loves to sit in amongst - so fingers crossed he'll be eating soon.

I'll let you know when he does.

Thanks for the replies and making me feel a little more confident with him.

PS he didn't have no water - just a milk bottle lid with a sponge in it that was moist! but as I've said he has had a few drinks and is active and aware of us.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  23:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sounds better for being with you, good luck.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  00:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hope it goes ok

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  15:58:37  Show Profile
Hi, I just thought I'd give an update on this corn...

After trying a few tips found on here and from a breeder he still wasn't eating, so we took the decision to force feed him - especially as we couldn't be sure if he'd ever eaten and because it could have been in excess of 12 weeks and we didn't want a fatality :(

Anyway I force fed him Monday and he seems alot happier. He has had a swim, been drinking and we've noticed his tongue is flickering lots now whereas he didn't seem to flicker at all before.

He's incredibly active and we will try him again soon (hopefully he'll be taking his own very shortly).

Lauren :)

PS Thanks to this little fella we now have our own two baby corns in addition to our big girlie :D
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  16:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Sounds positive!

Hope he gets eating regularly soon x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly